Shu Uemura Brow Pencil

4.6

hydrogenated castor oil, stearic acid, cera microcristallina/microcrystalline wax, candelilla cera/candelilla wax, carnauba/carnauba wax, rhus succedanea/rhus succedanea fruit wax, hydrogenated coconut oil, hydrogenated palm kernal oil, [ /-may contain: mica, CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499/iron oxides, CI 77891/titanium dioxide]

on 8/28/2008 12:34:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

another keeper, it doesnt draw on your hand though. it goes on your brow very natural. stays snug. i just wish its an automatic. for all the people who need to draw on extra area that has no hair, the line doesnt stay on that great but very subtle.

on 8/19/2008 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

HG material! OMG i can't believe i JUST discovered this! i've tried many brow pencils and brow powders..and this is the best i've ever tried. i'm asian and got this in the color 'seal brown' and it looks soooo natural. lasts all day too. i hope they never discontinue this because i would be very upset.

on 8/9/2008 10:17:00 AM

Well, add me to the list of those who worship this brow pencil! I had been eyeballing for a few months to a year, but just couldn't believe any brow pencil could be that much better to justify the price ($22USD). I have been using Maybelline charcoal grey, which is the best from the d/s: so naturally, they discontinued it!
Although I like the Maybelline, and I stocked up on the charcoal grey on ebay, I still felt there had to be something better. I tried several other pencils, powders. I do use and like the Besame one, too, but to get the best, most natural look, I had to mix the taupe and the gray ends, and it took some effort and time.
I've also been using rogaine to help my long-overplucked brows grow back in (it's helping some, but slowly).
Finally, I broke down and bought the Shu in seal brown from Sephora. I figured, if I don't like it, I'm only out the shipping charge.
All I can say is, this is definitely worth the money! I am so happy with it, it looks so much better, more natural, than any pencil or powder, and it takes much less time to apply than the Besame. It's similar to the Maybelline charcoal grey, but it goes on more naturally, and IMO, has a bit less red/yellow in it.
The final result is brows that look completely naturally full, un-made-up, as if you have nothing on! And the best part is that this stays put!
I imagine, as others have said here, that this pencil will last quite awhile. If it is ever d/c'd, I will be fighting with everyone else here over the last of the stock!

Ingredients: hydrogenated castor oil, stearic acid, cera microcristallina/microcrystalline wax, candelilla cera/candelilla wax, carnauba/carnauba wax, rhus succedanea/rhus succedanea fruit wax, hydrogenated coconut oil, hydrogenated palm kernal oil, [+/-may contain: mica, CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499/iron oxides, CI 77891/titanium dioxide]

on 7/22/2008 6:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I got this off of sephora.com for $22 because of the great reviews on MUA. I was using Benefit's Browzings and I like this much better because it's easier to use and apply. The seal brown color works well with my black hair. The pencil is quite long but that's ok. I feel like I have more control with a longer pencil.

Edit: I wear this everyday now. It's the only make-up I wear and my friends have been making comments about how nice I've been looking but they can't pinpoint what I've done to look nicer. I love it!

this is SUCH a great product! i have the retractable version in brown and it looks so natural on. the pencil is hard enough so that you can make very fine lines and soft enough so that it's easy to apply. extremely natural looking and very elegant package. i got this at an outlet for $8 so there really is no better deal for a better product!!

on 7/10/2008 11:06:00 PM

After reading - and hearing - rave after rave about this product, I decided to hunt it down. In Canada, I could only find one store that carried it - the Vancouver Holt Renfrew. So I paid the $12 shipping fee just to get my hands on this, even without trying it first.

When I first received it, it seemed so odd to me - it's sharpened like my father in law used to sharpen his pencils, with a knife, cutting the lead into a square tip. And it wouldn't write on my hand, so I couldn't test the color. But when I applied it to my very sparse brows, it was magic.

This extra long pencil, which I bought in Seal Brown, is perfect for my brows. I have black hair, and black brows, but black pencils and powders are entirely too harsh for even my ultra dark hair. In fact, I've been loyal to Laura Mercier's Blonde pencil for a while now. But I go through them like crazy, and at $25 a pop, plus that darned shipping from HR, they were starting to be a resented expense, even though I love them. And I'd heard Shu's long pencil lasts forever.

It's a hard pencil, so it doesn't apply thick and waxy and unnatural. It's easy to get realistic, feathery strokes with this, leading to gorgeous, yes-I-was-born-with-these brows. Once on, your brows are there to stay - there's no disappearing act throughout the day. I still need to mix it a little with my MAC Spiked brow pencil, just for the truest color, but other than that, this is definitely a desert island product. I could have no other makeup on, but if my brows are defined and shaped, I'm happy. I would recommend this to most - from blonde to brunette. Brilliant product from Shu Uemura!

on 7/5/2008 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This brow pencil is amazing. I only been using it for about five months but it's my HG for brows. I first bought it b/c the reviews of it were through the roof. I recently saw it's full potential at a photo shoot for my sports team. Some of my teamates asked me to help them with makeup. For the most part, I used whatever they brought but nobody had a brow pencil. My Seal Brown pencil worked wonders on five different eyebrow colors. They looked completely natural! The girls were freaked out about what a difference it made in their appearance. This product is def. worth the money b/c it lasts FOREVER!

on 7/2/2008 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Using Seal Brown has become a permanent staple in my daily routine. I have hardly any eyebrows, I have black hair but brow hairs are light and hairs are far and few in between. Always had a problem with brow lining because of it, I need to use dark colors to match my hair tone, but always got this too dark unnatural look, and always looked as if I painted them on. This is an awesome liner, not too dark and gives me a PERFECT finished look and doesn't look painted on. It helps that this pencil supposedly ONLY goes onto skin with hair folicles. I use it in Seal Brown and it looks GREAT. The pencil is a little longer than most liners, I use it everyday and I'm still on my first pencil and have had it for almost 6 months and have needed to sharpen it about 3 times. Although it's $22 price tag, well worth the price as it has lasted me a long time and it THE BEST brow liner I have EVER used.

UPDATE:::: Since my original post, I AM STILL USING THE SAME EXACT EYEBROW PENCIL!!! Almost two years later and I'm still using it :o) Those of you with thicker brows will probably need to use less than I do so I imagine it'll last a lot longer! My HG, this pencil has traveled with me to so many places, my vacations to Miami/Vegas/Seoul ;-) The only downside, I lost the cap somewhere and that's about it!

Update: Feb 2011

Uhhh, still using the very same pencil I first purchased,one of the rare products I stick faithfully to, have about 2 1/2 inchaes left, def plan on getting a new one shortly :-)

on 6/24/2008 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Definitely an amazing brow pencil. Though I've had occasional skipping when I draw the ends of my brows, overall this is by far the best brow pencil I've used for natural looking brows. Really quite amazing.

And, as other reviewers have pointed out, this pencil will last a really long time. I've hardly made a dent in it after a month of regular use.

Thanks to all who reviewed this, which made me try it out!

on 6/23/2008 7:45:00 AM

The legends are true. I only bought this today but it's already achieved HG status in my book. Having been persuaded by all the media hype about brow powders (they make your brows look more natural, blah blah blah) I ditched all my pencils which, let's face it, sucked anyway, and have been exclusively using MAC brow shader in Charcoal/Maple for the last six months.

As brow powders go, MAC is great, but my brows are chronically sparse and thin and a powder alone leaves them looking a little rough and sketchy. I wanted something a little more polished. They look over-plucked but they're not, they've just thinned prematurely due to illness (I'm 29). I really needed to be able to create the effect of having hair-strokes where there are none, without looking like I'd drawn my brows on with a magic marker. I want to be Hilary Rhoda, not Edith Piaf.

Like everyone, I've found most brow pencils to be too soft, too reddish, too heavy, too hard to control, unnatural. The Shu Uemura pencil, by contrast, is very firm, but also soft, so you can create featherlike strokes without having to press too hard. Other pencils tend to melt and squash on application creating a crayony line and requiring frequent resharpening. One application with the Shu Uemura brow pencil barely makes a dent on its perfect point, and I suspect it will last for an eternity, given that it's also a very long pencil compared to the rest. Totally worth the cost.

I'm using Seal Brown, which I thought would be too light for me, but bought based on its excellent reviews. P.S., don't be guided by the awful colour swatches on the Shu website - they're way off. Although my brows are sparse and very fine, the hairs themselves are very dark. However seal brown is a perfect tone and should match many eyebrows. It's so cool toned that it enhances darker brows without overwhelming them or clashing, but not so cool that it looks grey. I imagine it would beautifully enhance every brow from taupey-ash-blondes to dark charcoal greys to natural browns and darker ethnic shades.

Looking in the mirror 8 hours after application, I can't believe the staying power and the natural, polished effect. With this pencil I can make my brows look convincingly fuller, longer and more delicately arched. Even close up my pencil strokes look like soft-focus, feathery hair strokes. I still fill in some areas with a light swipe of MAC brow shader for some depth and to deepen the colour, but yes, if I was on a desert island, etc., I would ditch the powder in favour of the pencil.

EDIT: It's three years later almost to the day, and I still haven't finished this pencil. I expect it will last me another 6 months. Love it - HG.

Popular Brows Products