L'Oreal Voluminous in Carbon Black

3.5

on 3/1/2014 11:37:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I'm generally a fan of the L'Oreal Voluminous line, so this time around I figured I would try the Carbon Black formula (waterproof).

L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black is a super wet, super black mascara. I'm a fan of both of these things - I'd rather wait a bit longer for my mascara to dry fully if it gives me more time to perfect my lashes. The brush is good, and I find I'm able to put on two-three coats with minimal clumping (surprising, given the formula and the pipe-cleaner-esque spoolie). The result: beautiful, dark, long, voluminous lashes. They're perfect, really.

There's always a downside, though, right? And this one seems to be pretty common, based on the other reviews I've seen of this mascara: the SMUDGING, good god. It's awful. Without fail, by the end of the day I'll have a couple of dark spots of mascara under my eyes. And don't even THINK about putting this on your lower lashes. It'll be a disaster. I didn't expect this of a waterproof formula! What's the point of having a formula that's impossible to remove (another downside) if it won't even stop the mascara from ending up under your eyes?

All in all, I was pleased with the result, but disappointed with the wear. I think I'll go back to my L'Oreal Voluminous Original - it gives me everything this mascara gives me WITHOUT the smudging.

on 2/25/2014 7:42:00 PM

I bought this product looking for something that really volumizes my lashes. I think for the most part, it does what I was looking for. But there are a few things I don't like about it. For one, the formula is really wet and I end up having to wipe a lot of it off the brush before I apply it because it clumps really easily on my lashes. I like the brush, but I don't like how much of the formula sticks to it. Secondly, I use makeup remover to take it off and it never gets fully removed. I have to rub my eyes with soap to get it completely off my eyes. Finally, it was pretty cheap. I was surprised at the price, actually. However, I do like that it is very black, it lengthens my lashes, and it does volumize fairly well. Personally would not buy it again, but it was worth the money I paid for it.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is simply a makeup staple. If you want thick, dark lashes this is what you grab. Not only is it cheap, easy to find, and has a great rich black color, it is one of the best mascara formulas there is. I don't see how you could go wrong with this.

on 2/15/2014 6:37:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I've really tried to like this mascara, but I actually think I will throw it away. I bought it a couple weeks ago because of the good reviews I've read about it - and because I like big, voluminous lashes. ;) The consistency is really wet, and I feel like it NEVER dries on my lashes. The brush is ok to work with, I didn't have a problem with clumps and it was easy to apply. The color is also quite black, so I'm happy with that.

BUT.... It smudges!! Like crazy! After only 1 hour, I'm black both under my eyes and OVER my eyes. My lashes are quite long, so the mascara transfers to my lid and I also see black tiny dots underneath my eyebrows aswell. And after a couple of hours, I look like a panda. I don't even know why I continue to use it - it may be because of the volumizing effect, it really makes my lashes look good. I may use it up, but I will never buy it again. And do not cry when you wear this... It stings like crazy in your eyes. It REAAAALLY stings. Auch.

I really liked this mascara because i found that i only really needed one coat to make my eyelashes look nice, but when i wanted a more dramatic look i could easily layer another coat on top without it becoming gross and clumpy.

this is my HG mascara. i have yet to find a better drugstore mascara. this makes my lashes longer and darker. i have to stress the importance of buying the WATERPROOF one, the regular one does not have the same effect! I dont know why, but the non-waterproof one just doesnt work, the WATERPROOF carbon black is awesome though, i highly recommend! p.s. i read kim kardashian's makeup artist uses this for her long lashes

on 2/3/2014 2:14:00 AM

I like this mascara because it gives my lashes good volume and is a very pigmented black. I don't like the clumping and smudging after an hour or two. It doesn't lengthen or separate lashes well. I have short straight forward down lashes btw.

on 1/22/2014 3:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Holy grail product for me. It really does volumize my lashes. The only negative I could say about this product is I wish the brush was a bit smaller. I find it clumps sometimes if I'm not careful. I like to layer my mascara and when I do with this my eye lashes are thick and long and I honestly get asked all the time if my lashes are fake lol. LOVE IT!!! Lately I have been usine L'oreal Telescopic Mascara to help seperate the lashes and then I go over it with Voluminous and that is the ultimate combo!

on 1/8/2014 5:16:00 AM

This product is 2.5/5 for me. It volumized my lashes and somewhat lengthened them but it smudges really badly. I don't know why it does in comparison to the regular loreal voluminous. It also didn't hold my curl well.

This product just wasn't what I expected. I have normal length, but thin lashes that are very stick straight. I curl them with my curling wand before any application of mascara and if it's a good mascara it usually holds my curl, but with this mascara (although I bought it waterproof) it just didn't hold a curl at all. In fact, this mascara made my lashes look really wet and it weighed them down a lot. I'm sure it would work well with thicker longer lashes though, but unfortunately this product is NOT for me!

Popular Mascaras