New York Color Pressed Translucent Powder

Price: $

Price: $

Talc/Dimethicone/Kaolin/Zinc Stearate/Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate/Cetyl Dimethicone/Imidazolidinyl Urea/Methylparaben/Ethylparaben/Propylparaben/Butylparaben/Isobutylparaben. May Contain Mica/Iron Oxides/Titanium Dioxide

on 9/24/2010 2:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I use to like using only high end brands on my skin since I'm so acne prone and I can easily break out if I'm not careful about what I'm using. But lately I've realized you can still get skin-friendly products at the drugstore, you just have to be careful about reading the ingredients.
Also, I've been noticing how difficult it is to find a truly translucent powder. I like using translucent powders because I don't wear foundation but I also have to wear some kind of powder because my face is super oily. I was using Laura Mercier's setting powder but that costs $30! I just can't spend that kind of money anymore, with the economy I feel ridiculous. Other than the few like LM's, even if it says translucent it's not, it has some color in it. I understand why, it's to prevent the white chalkiness but LM's just disappears without adding color. Drugstore-wise, there is almost no products that carry translucent powders. This is one of the few that has a true colorless powder and it's comparable to LM's and for a lot cheaper at only $2.75! I bought this back in 2009 in Maui when I needed something cheap because I forgot my compact. And another positive is that the ingredients look pretty harmless and hasn't caused problems with my skin. It does leave the slightest grey cast right after application but that fades in 10 minuets or so, or at least it does with oily skin. Anyone with dry skin might want to opt for the one with color added. A definite find!
PS. I have the loose powder too which I also love and has now replaced my BE mineral veil which has no oil control and sucks! I use the loose first thing in the morning and carry the pressed version in my purse. I think I am going to stick to all drugstore brands from now on.

on 7/22/2010 3:01:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Ahhh. I was uber excited to get this product, from the reviews on here, and even before I bought it I started calling it "Heavenly Powder", because it sounded like everything I've wanted and more in a powder... and it is. It's just perfect. It's compressed which means that it's not gonna be goin' everywhere in your purse. It has a handy-dandy mirror. It shuts tightly and won't break. Though the pink sponge monstrosity is something that belongs in your trash can.

EDIT: found something better that helps with oil SO MUCH MORE. It keeps the oil at bay basically all day and it's packaging is better by about 100. It's by Maybelliene (or however you spell it...) and it's called Dream Matte Powder. Check it out!

on 7/22/2010 1:59:00 PM

I bought this because of the great reviews on MUA, and I'm glad I did. I've repurchased this so many times, and keep one at work because it's so cheap. It's super cheap but works great at setting foundation, keeping shine away, and just overall making my skin look more finished and smooth. I love it!

on 7/13/2010 3:51:00 PM

it was really dry!!!!!!!!!!!!!, mm not a good quality over all

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

When I went into CVS, it was my mission to find the cheapest pressed powder available, and when I found this, I was not expecting anything at all, but for three dollars, I bought it anyways. I'm glad that I bought it, because this is a STEAL. The packaging it not good at all, and I'm always afraid that I'll break it, but it has a big mirror and it's good for bringing to school. I use this like blot powder, and it's easy to use halfway thought the day when my nose gets oily. The applicator it comes with is a little pathetic, but i use a brush to apply this, and I only use the applicator when I'm at school, and it does a good job. I wish I knew about this product before I bought $12 neutrogena pressed powder!

on 7/1/2010 9:13:00 PM

I never use Mac Blot so I cant really tell the different but I like it so far. I bought it for summer time and was very happy with the price. My skin is sensitive but it doesnt break me out. My skin is dark, I bought the translucent one, it looked a bit white on my face first but after about 15 mins it set on my face. It's a good blotting powder and I does a good job what its supposed to be. I dont like the package, I wish I can take it off and put it in a nicer one. And the sponge comes with it is useless.

on 6/28/2010 6:57:00 PM

I LOVE this thing! I use it for so many things. Touch ups are great with this. You don't get a caked on look and it blends it really well with your current make up. I would never use it alone since it does go on a bit flaky - I don't know why, but it's easy to work with in my routine. Packaging is crap, but who cares - it's 1.99. :)

on 6/15/2010 6:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

With this stuff, you get what you pay for. It's chalky, the applicator is ridiculous, and I think it made me break out. I'm glad I didn't lose very much money, but I recommend that you don't waste your time with this one.

on 5/29/2010 2:57:00 AM

I am so impressed with this drugstore find. This is a great blotting powder, finely milled with minimal color deposit or coverage, similar to Mac blot. I have it in Translucent and can't see any difference between using this or the lightest Mac blot, but this was $3.99 Cdn and Mac's is $27!!! Also, this was half the price of the closest drugstore alternative, and far less bulky.

I actually think the compact is cute - it's a very dark shiny charcoal grey. The two minuses (but not enough to deduct a lippie considering the price) are the lack of a proper hinge, and the cheap plastic pink sponge thing inside. I bought a separate little puff to use with it, which works well. And if the plastic piece that holds the compact together ever breaks, I'll just buy a new one!

Honestly, who wants to carry a $27 compact in their purse for oil blotting? This is perfect - not to mention more hygienic as I'll throw this out when it starts to get old, instead of hanging onto it for far too long as I've done with pricier compacts!

One note: You might want to buy the darker shade and not Translucent if you have a medium or golden skin tone, as this does have a very pale pinkish color, although as I said the color deposit is minimal. On my fair neutral-toned skin, it's perfect.

on 5/24/2010 12:33:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Previously, the only pressed powder that I had ever used was Photogenic. I was, however, forced to find something else when I finished my last compact and discovered that the powder has been discontinued by Lancome.

I am very fair with pink undertones and it is no easy feat to find a foundation or powder to match my skin.I am happy with my current foundation. I wear Almay's Nearly Naked in the lightest shade, which matches me better than any of the high-end foundations that I have tried (e.g. Estee Lauder's Lucidity, Bobbi Brown's Natural Finish foundation, MAC's Studio Sculpt and Select, Prescriptives' Virtual Skin, etc.).I just need a sheer pressed powder to set my fdn in the morning and take care of a little shine in the mid-afternoon. I'm a bit dry, so it's important for me that a powder not dry out my skin or make me look chalky.

I tried Laura Mercier's transulecent setting powder, but I wasn't too impressed. It's OK, but nothing special considering the price. When I read the good reviews for NYC's pressed powder in translucent, I figured that it was worth a shot. Thanks, MUAers! I am a huge fan of this powder. It is far superior to the Laurier Mercier version and I may even like it better than Photogenic! I can't believe that a product which costs less than $3 can perform so well.

Ths NYC pressed powder goes on soooo smoothly and makes pores virtually disappear! It doesn't settle into fine lines and I love that it doesn't add any color to my face. It truly is translucent! I can't deny that the NYC compact is a bit cheap-looking and can be difficult to open and close, but I think that the powder it contains more than makes up for these issues.