Color Oops - Regular Strength Hair Color Remover

3.7

on 3/3/2011 11:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

Used Color Oops a couple of days ago. It worked well in lifting my old color out about 2 levels. It was easy to apply. I followed the directions exactly; left it on the full 20 minutes. Then did the full wash out/rinse process for another 20 minutes??!!! YIKES! The smell of Color Oops is horrific. Not so bad going on, but after when you rinse and the next day, the smell just won't go away. Even my bathroom smells. I guess it's stuck in the plumbing. Nasty. This morning to help with the smell I rinsed it MORE and then used clear vinegar (mixed in water). This seems to have helped some. I'm going to do this a few more times and hopefully the disgusting rotten egg smell will go away.

My hair does not feel or look dried out. Still shiny. So I would recommend it, but be prepared for the smell!!

on 2/13/2011 5:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Did alot of research before using this product. I have waist length hair and have been using L'oreal Healthy Look 6G. The last time the hair took up too much of the red. The Color Oops removed color the equivalent of 1 step lighter at the ends, where it has been colored more, and 3 steps at the roots. It took out all of the red. You can recolir the safe day but make sure you condition very well.
Recommendations: use as directed and leave on the ENTIRE 20 minutes. Go at least 2 steps lighter than you want when you recolor. It really does take up alot of the color and will end up being too dark if you are not careful. The odor was not nearly as bad as I expected. I would certainly use the product again if I felt the need.

on 1/17/2011 3:18:00 AM

Color Oops WILL remove too much or unwanted hair color. If your hair was colored before the latest "oops", it will also remove that color, leaving you most likely with yellow-y, orange-y, and somewhat uneven hair that in most cases will require additional coloring to be transformed into something pretty;-) At this point you have two choices:

1) Immediately (possibly wearing a hat?) go to a professional salon, explain what happened, and let THEM do the job with demi-permanent color of your choice. I recommend to ask the stylist to treat your hair with a protein filler before coloring it, or better yet, do it at home right after “color oops”. This is a foolproof way of getting preferred hair color and saves you quite some money, since this isn't a "correction" anymore, but a single process dye job.

2) At home - If you are coloring your hair yourself, you HAVE to have a “Neutral Protein Filler” (sally's, amazon). Use it as a leave-in conditioner BEFORE a hair dye job. The filler will restore the structure of your hair, so subsequently applied color will grab on evenly. The treatment also helps covering grey, avoid the "hot root" effect, and overly processed ends. I apply this treatment even before professional dye treatments. I am really, really pleased with the results! Less damage, better color, no oversaturation. For those going brunette: Use a NEUTRAL shade (to avoid too much red) of a medium/dark blond or light brown demi-permanent hair color or hair gloss. Put protein treatment in your hair, wait 20 min., don't rinse!!! TIP for those fearing too much red - buy the "UNRED" drops (Ricky's, Sally's, Amazon). Add a few drops (following the instructions) to the color mix, this will take care of the unwanted red. After putting the color mix on your roots, massage it through the rest of your hair, let it sit for 5-10 min. max! This should be enough time for the color to grab. Rinse, wash, rinse, deeply condition, style. Voilà, your new color!

Other tip based on experience:
If your hair turned very light and you want to go to a deeper brown shade, you want to use a double process. First you color with a light strawberry blonde/light golden blonde, after that you color with a neutral shade of medium/dark blonde/light brunette. This will give your hair a nice dimension and add gloss. You probably will still end up on a "warmer" side.

UPDATE: 9/1/2011 -- What a life and money saver! I am truly amazed by this product... Earlier today, I toned down my brassy looking summer highlights in my light brown hair with Garnier Nutrisse Light Natural Brown.. After barely 10 min my hair was oversaturated, dark brown with a purply tint to it.. Ouch!! Oops! Big OOPS! Well, I ran to the drugstore, got "ColorOops", did the routine, followed up with a protein filler for 30 min, did not rinse, colored my hair this time with Carnier Nutrisse Medium Natural Blonde for like 2-3 minutes... OMG, best color ever... Turned out very natural, sunkissed darkish blond with my highlights still showing, NO BRASS!!!.. very rosie huntington-whiteley-like.. Hair is despite the torture of the last 2 hours very soft and very shiny.. Ca$h factor: 15$ for 2x hair color + 12$ for ColorOops = 27$ (still less than any coloring job at the salon) Life experience= priceless;-) Thanks ColorOOPs, you saved my hair, yet again.

on 12/26/2010 11:47:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I had 'Special Effects' hair dye in my hair. After I opened the pack and was reading the instructions, I realized they are saying that it will not work on bright colour dyes. Since I already had it, I decided to go ahead and give it a try. I did everything as per the instructions but there was no change. I am not blaming the product at all but wanted everyone to be aware of this fact. Do not use Oops to remove 'Special Effect' hair dye.

on 9/13/2010 3:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

SAVED ME AGAIN!! Love this stuff. I wish haircolor companies would be honest about their hair colors. This saved me a second time when a supposedly red dye turned my hair black. Fantastic product!

on 7/28/2010 8:53:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Other

This stuff worked so well on my too-dark extensions! I dyed my extensions dark brown and they turned out BLACK as night and I was pissed so I tried dying it with lighter colors (before I found out that dye doesn't "remove" color, it just adds more) so my hair was now this goth black color with red undertones and I just wanted my hair to be normal again. So I bought color oops, hoping that it would work...and it DID! :) To my surprise, it got rid of all the color and returned my extensions to it's natural hair color. I was shocked! Hopefully the black doesn't come back but overall I would buy it again.

PS: I would really recommend you to use color oops outside because you can't even smell it when you put it on, unlike if you try to do it inside (and it smells BAD, like toilet water and crap lol). Plus the warm weather will help the product work. Good Luck!

on 4/25/2010 10:58:00 PM

I had been dying my hair a semi-permanent black color (Midnight by Natural Instincts) for almost a year, but wanted to try something new and go for a lighter color. The black color was not budging from my hair and I began to have visible roots (even after washing with Dawn, Prell, and Head and Shoulders over the span of a few months).

I had used ONO ColorFix before, and was impressed with the results, but found it annoying to have to measure everything myself and purchase a cap, mixing bowl, and gloves in addition to the product itself. It also left my hair an awful orange color that I had to dye over.

After reading reviews, I purchased Color Oops Extra Conditioning for $9.99. I used as directed, including rinsing for twenty minutes. I also shampooed three or four times throughout the rinsing process, and used a deep conditioner afterward.

This product lightened my hair significantly (but not beyond my natural medium brown color), but left a slightly reddish tone behind, which I think looks really pretty. I am so impressed with the results, I will not be re-dyeing my hair as I had originally planned.

It's true, the product is a little runny, but that can be helped with a shower cap. The product didn't smell as bad as I thought it would, but it did leave a sulfur smell behind, even after about 4 shampoos, but it is definitely worth the results. I would definitely recommend deep conditioning after your final rinse, as my hair felt very dry (I'm glad I didn't go with the extra strength version!)
Overall, I am more than satisfied and would recommend this product to anyone trying to remove dark dye buildup from their hair.

Edit: After about 3 days, my hair had returned to it's original black/dark brown color. It has been about three weeks since using Color Oops, and my hair still smells strongly of sulfur when it gets wet. Today I decided to go back to ColorFix; I mixed equal parts #1, #2, and shampoo, and developed under a cap for 20 minutes. It did not turn my hair a horrid orange color like it did the first time I used it, my hair is significantly lighter (medium auburn/brown instead of black), and I am very happy with it. The smell of ColorFix is much better than that of Color Oops, and it left my hair in much better condition. It did not lighten my hair beyond my natural color (probably because the dyes I used never contained peroxide), and was very gentle. Also, I have enough left for about 5 more applications. I love the stuff and would recommend it over Color Oops to anyone. It says it may not work on semi permanent dyes, but those are the only dyes I have used and it definitely worked for me.

on 4/19/2010 3:58:00 PM

This product saved my hair after I tried to dye my dark blonde hair auburn and it came out too violet for my liking. I was afraid that since my hair had been previously colored and highlighted that it was very porous and therefore would be harder to remove the new dark color, but it's all gone back and I have my same blonde color back. This stuff smells nasty but at least my color is back!

ETA: They're not kidding when they say to use a lighter shade if you recolor! I still love it though.

on 3/13/2010 10:06:00 AM

If you're having a hair dilemma, Color Oops is your friend :) I've used this product several times, and it has always been gentle on my hair and does everything it promises. My hair had been an extremely dark brown, and after using, it turned it light again and it felt so soft. The best part of all, is that you can dye it again in the same exact day. It lightens your hair like bleach, except it doesn't fry it.

After I used this product, my hair felt like I had just conditioned it. I was really happy :)

on 2/20/2010 4:57:00 AM

With this and all colour correctors, you MUST WAIT to dye your hair again. Go look at the Colorfix reviews (same basic product, different brand) and you will note that people who re-dye without waiting a week or so have their dyed colour return. This is because the new dye will "reactivate" the particles still left in your hair.

My tips:

Concentrate on the ENDS of your hair-these have the most dye

WAIT TO REDYE, at least 3 days

Also, your colour will oxidize. This means that the colour on after using this will darken with time. It could be a little, or a lot, so wait it out and see.

Also, use colorfix if this stuff doesn't work. It tends to be more effective/stronger.

Popular Hair Color Products