Elizabeth Arden Red Door

2.8

on 7/28/2011 10:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

I will start by saying that I HATE this in the EDT/EDP form but LOVE it in the body lotion form. The first time I smelled Red Door (1991), I was out at the mall with a few co-workers on our lunch break. A couple of them sprayed RD to test it and it was the most disgusting, putrid thing I'd ever smelled. Although it was a warm day, we HAD to ride back to work with the windows down. It was so pungent, overpowering and vial. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to wear something that smelled so bad. Well, fastforward a couple decades (2011), I decided to test the lotion just to see if it was still putrid. OMG! It was the most luxurious, richly floral fragrance I've ever come across. I immediately bought the bottle. I'm starting to realize that some of the funkiest (amber heavy) perfumes smell sooo good in lotion form. A prime example would be Victoria's Secret Rapture. Another stinker in perfume form, but glorious in lotion form.

on 7/22/2011 2:40:00 PM

Thank God I never bought this. The packaging is the tip-off ladies! Old school in the worst possible way. The fragrance is hot and heavy and would certainly give me a headache if I wore this for any period of time. Other fragrances in this genre, in my mind anyway, would include Dior's Poison and YSL's Opium. Thank God these perfumes fell way out of favor many years ago. The underlying message was if you want it hot and steamy, wear this. Don't!

If you want to smell like a clueless throwback, I would recommend giving yourself a spritz of this.

on 7/22/2011 2:12:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I think I won the lottery!! I managed to pass my bottle of Red Door onto a friend who actually loves the stuff (and lives far enough away that I won't have to smell it on her). She thinks she's won the lottery but I know differently. This fragrance is just too, too, too everything. Too 80s, too stinky, too in your face, too headache-inducing. I'm so glad to be rid of it. I'm free!!!

on 7/21/2011 7:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This poor fragrance gets such a hard time, but each time you have been in an elevator or passed someone on the street and thought "what a great smell" chances are you were smelling red door. This fragrance has such a bad reputation as being old or outdated but worn in modest amounts and letting it settle for a few minutes before leaving the house it is a gorgeous scent. No, it's not everyones taste or suited to everyones chemistry, but on the right person it is amazing. I am only 26 so I am by no means an old lady but I appreciate the classics. You can always pick this up relatively cheap at Christmas/mothersday sales. A very classic honey based scent.

on 7/3/2011 12:25:00 AM

Damn it! I bought this perfume thinking it was the other one (E.A. Red door REVEALED) and i was so happy but then i sprayed on my body and i was like What the heck?!!
I hate the scent so bad, i smelled like an old lady all the freaking day!
Its odor is way too strong for any woman, seriously.

on 6/22/2011 12:19:00 AM

I never tried this on myself, only smelt on other people, and I found it always revolting. Honestly, if you spray this in a bathroom and I have to use that bathroom, I would probably choose to head for the nearest bush instead. It is thick, old and sticky like a leech! And ages the wearer instantly! Or at least I think so!

on 5/22/2011 10:09:00 AM

This perfume is strong and floraly. My mother in law wears it and it gives me a headache everytime. Its terrible. I recently gave her a bottle of my favorite perfume in hopes she would switch to something less potent

on 5/4/2011 5:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Best perfume ever. Brings on compliments and has a scent that lasts all day.

on 5/3/2011 3:13:00 PM

I first smelled this on someone else and it smelled wonderful wonderful wonderful. I bought some. chemical nightmare. still smelled bad after it dried down. but the scent left on my clothes was beautiful a little lovely pretty little singing flower. just what i had smelled off that woman. so i use it on my clothes and it is beautiful.

on 4/19/2011 6:44:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I don't ever really buy perfume but this was given to me at christmas by my aunt. Although I do use it everyday, the fragrance isn't that great, and after about 20 or 20 minutes I can't even smell it on me anymore. I don't think I would buy this.

Popular Fragrances