Nail Magic

n-Butyl Alcohol, Butyl Acetate, Amyl Acetate, Butoxyethanol, Ethyl 3 Ethoxypropinate, Nitrocellulose, Water (Aqua), Methylene Glycol, Gelatin, Red 33 (CI 17200)

on 5/29/2011 2:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

my nails: dry, brittle, peeling

This product: helped my nails grow made them a little bit strnger but if you put to much it stings your nail bed below your nail for hours. Literlly i was in shock with how badly, now numb my finger felt. I've used ti for about a year and a half now. Still looking for something 'great'.

on 5/3/2011 5:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Hoooooly Cow!!! After having acrylics for years my nails were very unhealthy and paper thin so I purchased Nail Magic which was recommended to me by a store associate. After applying the regiment, my nails started burning so bad that it was unbearable!! Immediately I started looking at reviews and found that others had experienced the same outcome with this product. After about an hour of thinking the pain would go away I removed it with finger nail polish remover and instantly felt better! I also see many people who are satisfied with this product but Iím undecided if I will give it another shot once my nails have healed.

on 3/13/2011 6:55:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I love this product! I have always had nails that flake and break off if they grew even a little bit past my nail bed. I have tried the OPI nail treatments, and they have failed me miserably and was a waste of money.

So after seeing some good reviews on youtube I took the plunge and bought it. Just as a warning the first time I tried it my nails HURT like it was a mild burning sensation for the first few hours. The next time I tried it, it didn't hurt, so maybe that was the formula showing me just how weak my nails were? After using it once a week for a few months I had wonderfully strong and long nails that were the envy of all my friends, I was constantly asked if they were fake.

I would recommended this product to anyone who is trying to grow out their nails and having a hard time doing it, but just a warning if you have really weak nails like I did it will burn and hurt the first time you use it.

P.S. - they have a new "natural" formula I'm currently trying out to see if it is any better.

UPDATE: So I have been using the "natural" formula and I have to say don't waste your money on it, my nails went back to breaking and chipping so it wasn't worth it, just stick to the original formula if you want results.

on 2/26/2011 4:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I have had weak, peeling and chipping nails my entire life. Before my wedding, I got gel nails, and kept that up for a year. The look of long, well-kept nails really grew on me, however, I became concerned about the health of my nails under the gel, and was annoyed at the time and cost associated with getting the nails touched up every two to three weeks. So, I took the gel off, and started to apply nail magic regularly. My nails were pretty thin at first, but now after four months, my nails are LONG, and extremely strong. They NEVER split, or peel, or break at all! I am nothing short of amazed. I get compliments on my nails all the time now, whereas for my entire life previousy I was always the girl hiding her week, short (and often bitten) nails. This product does cause some yellowing, but it is completely worth it to me. This is the only product that has ever allowed me to grow my nails long, and I have tried all varieties of Nail Envy (which does NOT work). I wear polish regularly (usually Mademoiselle by Essie or something similar) so the yellowing is not visible anyway (and it is not severe in any event). I love this product!

I should note that there is a very strong chemical smell during application, so if your nails are sensitive to chemicals I would not use this.

on 2/6/2011 8:55:00 PM

Nail Magic (sold at Sally Beauty Supply online or in the store for $8.49) is a great product for making your nails grow longer. There's nothing else like it!

It's similar to a thick, clear (with a pink hue, but still clear) nail polish. But it has some serious chemicals in here. Warning: if you are trying to be all natural, this is not the product for you. It's got formaldehyde. I can only guess what my lungs are like after applying this regularly.

But my usually weak nails (they split and break a lot -- especially on the pointer nail) can grow long. It's fun to see all my nails uniformly shaped -- a nice almond shape. They're very strong -- strong enough to mess around in the garden...

I can't recommend it 100% because of the strong chemical nature of the product, and my worries about chemicals. But on the other hand, I am beauty first which is why I'm still using this great stuff!

on 1/15/2011 4:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this stuff. I don't rec it to everyone. BUT it does work for me. I've used it now for just over 2 months. I have had breaks here and there BUT this stuff helps grow out my nails pretty darn fast and it's winter my nails usually grow so slowly in the winter time. Right now except for my thumbs that have had some bad breaks my nails are as long or longer than when I'd get them done with acrylic or gel. I hate to say it works but it really really does. Since it does contain toulene and formaldehyde you need to make the choice for yourself. For me it works and it works wonderfully.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I am very hard on my nails, especially this summer when I refinished my deck and sometime got mineral spirits, Bondo and deck stain on my hands.

However, perhaps due to Nail Magic Base Coat Therapy and their Fast Dry Topcoat, I still have nails left.

It is now too cold to continue my deck staining until spring, so we'll see how my nails look after a toxic chemical vacation. Speaking of which, I try never to buy products containing formaldehyde, toluene or pthalates; I always check labels and I'm thinking that the Base Coat Therapy and Fast Dry Topcoat, at least, are free of those ingredients. I could be wrong, or perhaps some of their products do contain those substances but not the ones I purchased.

Anyway, I do recommend highly the two products I've purchased. I got them on a 2 for 1 special at Sally's so they were cheap, but even at full price, they're not that expensive and they work, so that makes them a good value.

EDIT: I guess I'm losing brain cells--I had forgotten all about this product until seeing it while reviewing my reviews. I must be out--guess I'll get some more. My nails are in bad shape again. Maybe it's because I ran out of the Nail Magic!

on 12/12/2010 7:56:00 PM

I just love, love, love this stuff. I have had nail issues for many moon's, breaking, peeling, weak and have tried just about everything out there, then one day I was in my local Sally store and asked the SA what was the best nail hardener? She recommended "Nail Magic" and it was on sale so I felt completely justified in picking it up. I'm so happy I did! My nails are long and strong! I haven't had a break in 3 months and I have even had to trim them back a little! I'm so hard on my nails everyday, in gloves, tones of hand washing and sanitizers and they have held up wonderfully. I'm so impressed that this is now and will always be my HG nail treatment, I even added the " Base coat therapy" to my nail kit and love it as well! My nail polish goes on smooth and holds fast for 3-4 days which is a bloody achievement for me, and it has the same get benefits as the hardener, double awesome!

Yes this product does contain formaldehyde and there are some health concerns associated with it, but meh...I breathe in a butt load of toxic chemicals everyday that all may, or may not have a negative affect on me later. So if I'm to perish from some type of cancer, tumor or respiratory sickness, who's to say it was solely the nail polishes fault, it could have been any number of things. For beautiful nails I'll risk it :)

on 12/4/2010 3:14:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This stuff works very well for me. You have to use it continuously for the full six weeks though before it works though.
This contains formaldehyde. YOU must make the decision whether its worth it to try.
If you want to wear polish with this treatment I suggest putting a base coat over the Nail Magic and under the color because this tends to peel off in big sheets after a couple days and will take your manicure with it unless you have something on top of it to keep it on.

Do not get this on your skin! It burns. Careful application is key with this product especially with the possible side effects of absorbing formaldehyde through your skin.

This product smells awful. Worse than a regular nail product. Keep that in mind.

The bottle doesn't last very long..eventually it thickens and becomes unusable..I got about three months out of my first bottle.

Overall I like it and will continue to use it but it might not be for you.

on 9/23/2010 3:36:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

A resounding YES, YES, YES I will buy this product again!!! This is absolutely the best nail hardener I have ever tried. All of a sudden my nails started peeling and breaking and I went to Sally's and inquired about a good nail hardener since I was using Nail Envy but it was no longer working. The SA recommended Nail Magic and so I bought some. That was in the early part of the summer and now my nails on both hands are long and no peeling or splitting. They are hard and beautiful!

Popular Treatments