Tarte Lights Camera Lashes

3.8

Ingredients: Aqua, oryza sativa (rice) bran wax, cyclopentasiloxane, hydrogenated stearyl olive esters, stearic acid, cera carnauba, triethanolamine, alcohol, candelilla cera, acacia senegal gum, panthenol, VP/VA copolymer, polyvinyl alcohol, aminomethylpropanediol, chlorphenesin, iron oxides (CI 77499).

on 4/25/2009 5:51:00 AM

I had high hopes for this mascara after it got rave reviews, but alas, it was another disappointment.

PROS: Curled well, seperated pretty ok
CONS: Everything else.

Let's start with the brush: It's densely packed with short bristles that are so hard and prickly that you could probably use it to scrub your oven. On somone with thin, fragile, short lashes like mine, it literally hurt to apply those pokey bristles at the roots of the lashes.

The color: it's an off-black - not shiny at all, and so dull it was more of a dark gray. I guess that's fine if you have blonde lashes, but I have tanned skin and need a deep black to make lashes pop against it.

The formula: Dry and thick [yuck]. It did not glide through my lashes smoothly at all. In fact, it took several coats before it even looked like I had anything on my lashes.

I guess if you have naturally thick, long dark lashes and you had lots of spare time and felt like brushing those lashes for fun, whip out this mascara. If you like Maybelline Full N' Soft, L'Oreal voluminous, or Maybelline volume express, you'll like this one. (I hated those dry, crusty mascaras too).

Save your $18 and buy one of the aforementioned drug store mascaras.

on 3/24/2009 10:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Disappointed. Hate the purple case but I could've gotten over that. There's nothing wrong with this mascara if you want a natural look. I prefer a deeper black like so many mascaras have now. Also prefer a little more volume.

on 3/4/2009 7:09:00 PM

Bought this for a change after reading a few of the reviews. It only comes in black, but this is this first black mascara that doesn't scream "black" on my very blonde lashes. Good volume and length, will see about the conditioning after a few weeks. Have to agree with others, though - the purple snakeskin case has to go!!
EDIT: Hate to do this but its going back to Sephora, I know it is all natural, but I am allergic to something in it. After using it for a week, my eyes are very puffy. Oh well, back to Volume Exact.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

There are so many mascara's out there its so difficult to write review on which are the best ones since everyone is looking for something diffrent in a mascara.For higher end brands I would have to say this is one of the best out there.this mascara provide a 4- in -1 look which I really dont know what that implies.Tarte is health couture so its nature.I do like this mascara its not for everyone though I have long lashes already so I dont need to much from a mascara,if you are looking for volume or thickness this mascara is not for you.Lights,camera lashes provides you with a natural look, it doesnt clump up if you use it right.It leaves as soft coat without stiffness, and that is what I like! If you are a heavy coater and want volume stiff lashes this probably wont work for you.If you want a natural look it will give you what you need . Hope this was helpful for all the all natural looks. Retails for 18.00$ It comes in a thick purple casing.

on 2/14/2009 2:29:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I already have thick black lashes. This mascara, on me, is a "polish" mascara. A step that makes my eyes look more "finished" rather than making a dramatic difference. The small sample tube I received with a recent Tarte order applied nicely - no clumps, easy to get to the inner lashes. At the end of a 9 hour day, some smudging under the eyes (I wasn't wearing eyeliner or eyeshadow) and a heavy lash feeling. Probably wouldn't race out to purchase a full size of this, but if a freebie crossed my path, I'd use it again.

on 2/1/2009 2:58:00 AM

I don't like this nearly as much as Tarte's Lash Hugger mascara. I find that this one clumps on me more (like chunky bits, especially at the tips of my lashes). It doesn't volumize or lengthen any better than Lash Hugger either. It does look more shiny and black, but I'm not sure that I like that. It also makes my lashes more stiff than Lash Hugger. I do have to say it holds a curl better, but only for about an hour or two longer, and since I usually use Shiseido's mascara base underneath, it doesn't really matter anyway.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

This is my 'night time' going out mascara. I have long, thin-ish lashes and this makes them soo full and pretty. Like another reviewer, I got this when I returned Dior, which didn't work for me at all. If it were less expensive, I would use this every day.

on 1/19/2009 10:16:00 AM

I have puny eyelashes and deep-set eyes with a lot of lid, so I can't get away with trying to have with big-ol crazy lashes. My requirements in a mascara include no clumps, no thick spider lashes, no dissapearing, softness after application, the ability to layer, and the illusion of thickness. Lengthing and curling are not a priorty. The lastest batch of mascaras that I am cycling include Dior Show Iconic, Fiberwig, CoverGirl Exact Lash and Sephora Brand Lash Plumper. I received the Tarte mascara as a sample back in September, and since then I have been though two tubes - this is by far the pick of the litter for me right now. I absolutely LOVE how it goes on with a slight gloss and glides through my lashes. The first application seems to more coat and stain the lashes, the second adds overall volume, the third adds root volume and a tiny bit of length. I can get away with multiple applications in one sitting because this stuff simply refuses to clump. I love how the brush is just the right stiffness with short bristles that catch all of my little lashes, even in the corners. The mascara does not dry hard or brittle, instead it stays very soft. This stuff is not bulletproof, so if it's been a long day where I have touched my eyes a lot, it will smudge, and it will wear off, but the great thing is I know I can just hit my lashes with two more coats worry-free of clumps or over application, and I am good to go. I will admit that I am not a fan of the purple snakeskin tube covering, mainly because it messes up and crowds my anal storage bin of mascaras and eyeliners. That, and I think it's pretty cheesy. Overall, this mascara is a keeper BIG TIME!!

on 1/18/2009 12:03:00 AM

i got a small tube of this in the limited edition vanity palette.
i must say, this is probably the worst mascara i have every tried, it clumps like crazy, and it doesn't do anything for length.
i'm kind of sad about it really :(

on 1/15/2009 1:17:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Love this mascara! I have to say this is the first higher end mascara that I have felt was worth the money. I've tried everything from Two Faced Lash Injection to Estee Lauder mascaras and Diorshow. This one isn't too expensive either. It's not a whole lot more than I pay for my favorite drug store mascaras (which are NYX Doll Eye mascara and Revlon's Luxurious Lengths).

This mascara is gentle on your lashes, it doesn't feel like you are wearing a lot, but it does a good job of making lashes look long and thick.

If it lasts for a good while (I've only had it for a week), then I will def repurchase.

Popular Mascaras