Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner

Not tested on animals

Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Butylene Glycol, Cetrimonium Bromide, Phenoxythanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Natural Fragrance, Hydrolyzed Protein, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Leaf Extract (USDA Certified Organic), Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Valencia Organge) Extract (USDA Certified Organic), Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Lemongrass) Extract (USDA Certified Organic), Echinacea Purpurea Extract (USDA Certified Organic), Ginkgo Biloba Extract (USDA Certified Organic), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract (USDA Certified Organic), Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract (USDA Certified Organic), Macrocystis Pyrifera (Sea Kelp) Extract (USDA Certified Organic), Mangifera Indica (Mango) Extract (USDA Certified Organic), Salix Alba (Willow Bark) (USDA Certified Organic)

on 5/29/2011 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

One of my staple products. It's super moisturizing on my super tight curls. I usually apply on dry hair and sit under heat cap and reapply every 15 minutes until my hair can no longer absorb it. It's great!

on 5/20/2011 1:46:00 AM

Skin: Other, Olive, Neutral

The difference using this conditioner is like night and day. I had been thinking of cutting a good portion of my color-damaged hair off, as I was simply tired of it getting so tangled and feeling extremely brittle. After using this conditioner (thanks to MUA review boards), I think I will only need to trim my hair a little. It certainly has made my hair more touchably soft. Also, I never blowdry my hair (I usually let it dry naturally) and I do have to mention that my hair even dries in a much more "just blow-dryed" way. The layers that frame my face now have a slight natural "curl" to them, as if I took a huge barrel brush and styled it while blow-drying. It's awesome.

I've only been using this for a week, but as of right now I don't see any reason why I wouldn't purchase this again. Highly recommend.

on 3/31/2011 9:30:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

People with natural AA hair this is a must to try. Saw a lot of natural hair bloggers loving this stuff. I tried the small bottles of the shampoo and leave-in conditioner first, nothing too special about them. Read another blogger with similar hair type to mine loving the smooth as silk. I can now detangle my hair in 30 minutes with less breakage. Where was this stuff growing up!? My SUPER thick fro is moist and tamed. Seals in the moisture. I wrap my ponytail in a bun everyday and usually by the end of the day my ponytail is dry and stiff, not anymore. I would give it 5 lipsticks but I have to try it a bit longer and I haven't tried pressing my hair yet.

on 3/6/2011 2:11:00 AM

I've returned this. I had to double check to make sure I didn't buy the shampoo because it lathers like one. Left my hair very tangled and frizzy.

on 2/28/2011 1:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I really love this conditioner. It contains no sulfates or silicones, and it rinses so clean, I occasionally use it to *wash* my hair (and my hair is very fine and thin). Smooth As Silk Conditioner does not weigh it down but I have to rinse well, and if I use this as my primary hair cleanser, I need to use the Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo every fifth day or so.

I am not find of Giovanni packaging. The texture is thick for something that acts as a cream rinse, so it can be difficult to squeeze it out of the pyramidal plastic bottle. The top, which has a flip cap, is the narrowest part, so it doesn't take well to standing upside down unless it can be nestled in between other containers.

I said I would buy again, and I have done so many many times since discovering it in 2005. Great stuff, cheap (at vitacost), and extremely gentle to all hair types.

This conditioner is amazing!
My hair is totally damaged from so many hair dyes. And I was going to cut almost half my hair off cuz it felt so horrible... Till I tried this product :)
I love it so much! It saved my hair and made it soooo super soft, shiny, & manageable! <333 I will use this product always now! :) & it has no sulfates so it's just amazing

on 2/6/2011 11:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Smooth as Silk by Giovanni is so far the best shampoo/conditioner I've ever used and not to mention it is completely organic yet cleanse well and makes your hair silky smooth! I would recommend buying it either in Target or herbspro for best deals in bulk.

on 10/19/2010 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This conditioner was just okay for me. It felt good going on but once rinsed out I really did not feel anything so special. The major plus was that it is natural. When combined with the protein treatment it made a difference.

on 10/9/2010 12:46:00 AM

Love this, found a big bottle for cheap at Marshall's a few months ago, guessing it will probably last most of a year on my slightly longer than shoulder length, wavy, thirsty hair. Works well as a conditioner after co-washing, I do feel like the matching shampoo was too drying for me when I used it previously. This has very good slip, doesn't stop moisturizing over time like the 50-50 did for me. Works well in higher dew points, detangles like a charm, works well with the Icequeen method (flip head over, scrunch conditioner in to promote clumping of waves/curls, rinse) or works well if I'm combing my hair out to be semi-straight.

on 7/22/2010 8:23:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

My holy grail conditioner has been Jason Natural Apricot Super Shine (JNASS) for almost 10 years. It leaves my hair moisturized, shiny, and has great ingredients including hydrolyzed protein (the kind that binds most easily with hair keratin) which helps to provide a 'crutch' to my processed hair. I credit JNASS for achieving mid-back length texturized hair.

However, I've been spending a lot of time in a place that is a lot less humid than my home in the San Francisco Bay Area. This means that the humectants in the JNASS unfortunately dry my hair out in dry climates (see Curl Whisperer and Natural Haven blogs for scientific explanation of this). I'm bummed because it took me a while to find a JNASS retailer here, but now that I have it my hair is just as sad as it was when I didn't have it. At least I figured out why it stopped working!

Enter Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner (SAS-DM, not to be confused with Smooth as Silk Xtreme Protein Hair Infusion). I've found this conditioner to create almost the exact same positive end results on my hair (i.e. making hair shiny, moisturized, softer) as the JNASS, but while I'm in dry, non-humid climates. It lacks the humectants that JNASS has (aloe, glycerin, panthenol) so it doesn't dry my hair out. Another nice benefit is it lacks -cones (JNASS has a bit of dimethicone, but at the bottom of the ingredient list). For now, it means I do have to get my protein from something else, but that is a small trade-off for the great results I get from SAS-DM.

Top Rated Giovanni Products