E.L.F. Essential Eye Shadow Brush

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Other, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is a nice brush, but it is NOT a 239 dupe. If anything, it can be compared to the 213, fluffy brush. The bristles on this brush are not tapered like the 239's are, they are more domed. That said, I still like this brush, especially for the price. It's soft, and fluffy enough to use as a blender. You can use it to pack on color too, but I don't think that it's best use. I find it best used as a multi-purpose domed brush. I would not buy it again, because, despite it's cheap price I think that ELF's "C" brush for $3 is a far better constructed brush. But, if you need a basic fluff brush, and have access to this, this is decent, especially for the price. But, it is not a brush I'd write home about, or re-purchase.

on 3/8/2010 8:10:00 AM

This is the second brush I ordered form E.L.F. and, like the studio small smudge brush, I really like it. It's soft, but not too soft (I don't like it when brushes are too soft because they don't deposit the eyeshadow very well). It's even cheaper than the brushes from the studio line. I will definitely order more.

on 3/5/2010 6:11:00 PM

I don't know why people rave about this brush as if it's "comparable" or even "better" than real quality brushes like MAC. Maybe because the price totally skews their opinion? I bought this brush believing those rave reviews that it was actually comparable to high end brushes like the MAC 239. And all I can say is you get what you pay for.
The construction right out of the package lets you know it's a dirt cheap brush. It had unevenly trimmed hairs so that the top edge of the brush was not a smooth line. Some hairs stuck out longer where they should not have. There was some sticky gunk on the handles of both brushes I got from the $1 line, inside of each plastic cover. The studio line brush had no residue. And most importantly, the ELF eyeshadow brush was so SCRATCHY. I don't know how people can honestly say it is as soft as better quality brushes. It is not!
I bought ELF cosmetics when it first launched because it seemed like such a good bargain, but after I got them in the mail, I was very unimpressed with the effect and quality. A few years later, I had hoped things improved, but they haven't. Save your money, even if it is a dollar.

on 3/5/2010 1:06:00 AM

this brush is so soft and really packs on the colour onto the lid. it's also pretty good at blending out colours as well. however, when i first got this, a lot of the hairs broke and shedded after i washed it. after that though, no more broken hairs and there was barely anymore shedding. i guess during manufactoring, not all the hairs were glued down and when they were cutting the hairs, the hair didnt get completely cut. i'm pretty upset though that when i got it, the farrow was loose from the wooden handle, so i knew it was going to break off soon and sure enough, after my second wash, it came apart. but its nothing a little super glue wont fix. otherwise a great brush, especially for $1. just a warning, i dont think this brush is vegan. the hairs are similar, if not the same as the blending brush, which i know for sure is not vegan.

on 3/4/2010 11:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I thought I would be pleased by this product, but I was BLOWN AWAY!!! I have used brushes from MAC, Sephora, even the Sonia Kashuk for Target line. I love all of my high end brushes, but I am so, so happy about this brush. This was only $1 and it works fabulously. It picks up shadow and is great for packing on color. I'm ordering a few more to keep around. So happy about this!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Best $1 brush I've bought so far! So soft and does great at blending. Very happy with this cute little brush!

on 3/3/2010 2:46:00 PM

It's not bad for the price, but I don't think it does a particularly great job. Nothing better than the sponge eye shadow brush in my opinion. But then again, it might be the way I use it... But also, both the brushes I got (same ones) broke... the handle fell off :(

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Love this brush. I have another eyeshadow brush that cost me $20 and this one kicks its a$$!!!! It's soft and great for blending and its only a dollar, i am in love.

on 2/27/2010 3:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Yes, the hype is true. This is a really great brush. I've had one of these for about six months now, and it is a very worthy tool to have in the arsenal. It is densely packed, soft, and great for packing on the shadow. However, it may not be the best choice if you want precision and/or have smaller lids. If you were hoping for a dupe of the MAC 239, look elsewhere, since they are completely different. The 239 is smaller and thinner, and will allow you to place product more precisely. That said, for $1.00, you really can't go wrong - I would actually pay more for this brush than a $1, I do think this is of good quality and very useful.

on 2/17/2010 2:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This review is for the black handle and metal version. I picked it up from Target for $1 and for a while loved this brush and wanted to pick up more. I searched several times and E.L.F. seems to have been completely removed from my local store.

I then went to their website, they didn't have the same one and the reviews for the new one had mixed reviews. One being that for those who purchased more than one of these, they were all slightly different from one another. I've since found mini application brushes from EcoTools that work much better.