MAC Pro Longwear Foundation

3.8

Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide 4.7% Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Trimethyl Pentaphenyl Trisiloxane, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Magnesium Sulfate, Tribehenin, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Bis-Peg/Ppg-14/14 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Dimethicone, Phenyl Methicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Methicone, Tetramethyl Hexaphenyl Tetrasiloxane, Glycerin, Ethylhexylglycerin, Silica, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Laureth-7, Hexyl Laurate, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Propylene Carbonate, Alumina, Polymethylsilsequioxane, Dimethicone Silylate, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, Chlorphenesin [ /- Mica, Iron Oxides (C) 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (C) 77891, Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288) [September 17, 2010]

on 9/29/2011 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I really like this foundation. The pump makes it easy and sanitary to use. The color NW20 is perfect for me. I like that it controls oil better than ANY foundation ive used out there. I used to have to blot and use oil absorbing sheets 2-3 times a day. Combined with Mac's Blot Powder, I can go all day without touching up my makeup, which is a huge feat, as my skin was seriously the oiliest skin out of anyone I knew. It's a little pricey at $30 or however much it is, but it's good for special occasions. I tend to use too many pumps so I waste quite a bit, but if youre careful, it will last much longer.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

While it did have decent staying power, I found it didn't do much to contol my oily skin and had to blot/retouch frequently during the day. Also, I hadn't used it in a while, so I decided to give it another shot. It broke me out really badly after a couple days of wearing it, which reminded me of why I stopped using it in the first place. I had high hopes for it, but I won't be buying this again. I'll stick with my ELDW

on 9/27/2011 4:25:00 PM

Great Foundation!
This is one of the best I have ever tried. MAC claims that this is a medium coverage foundation, however I think that it is more on the fuller end. I love the way this looks on the skin as well, not matte but not dewey just like a perfect finish. Lasts allllll day.. like all through my school day and if I work after school it lasts the whole time. Defenitely worth a try.

on 9/25/2011 2:00:00 PM

When I found this I thought it would be my HG foundation. Great coverage, natural finish, and it lasted all day. Unfortunatly, it made me break out like crazy, and I don't tend to break out anymore (used accutane several years ago). I was so sad when I finally figured out what was causing it. All of by blemishes stopped coming in and healed within 4 days of stopping use of this foundation. Very disappointing!

on 9/23/2011 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I love this product! I have been using it since it has been released and it has been AMAZING for me. I have oily and sometimes acne prone skin and this really stays on all day. It does not make me break out and even though they say its not full coverage, i can get it to be full coverage using my blender brush. I think it is all on application style and personal opinion.
I give this 5 stars!

on 9/19/2011 5:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

I have been using this foundation for a few days now and I love it. I bought NC40 which matches my skin perfect. I put this on at 7am then I take my kids to school and do my running around, grocery shopping, cooking and by the end of my day at 10pm when I look in the mirror and get ready to take off my make-up my foundation still looks flawless like I just put it on. It's expensive at $40 CAN but well worth it. I find it does dry on your skin quickly so you have to be quick when applying it or it may be a little cakey looking.Will repurchase.

UPDATE: Now that my skin is getting drier since the weather is starting to get cold I notice it looks kind of cakey and heavy on my skin but a good thick moisturizer seemed to solve the problem.

on 9/18/2011 5:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I was first tested by the MUA with the NC45. I thought that shade was what I would need since that was the shade I wore in Studio Fix, but It seemed to be bit too light. So, I was given a sample of NC50 Pro longwear to try. I did like it a lot and it blended well. When I went back to buy the NC50, it was out of stock. From watching a youtube makeup video, I later ended up buying the NC45 and the video gave me the idea of buying the NC 50 Pro Longwear concealor to mix with the NC45 foundation. It works really good and I didn't have to spend another $30 for the NC50 foundation. You do not need much of the NC50 concealor to mix and it is the right shade for me.

on 9/16/2011 3:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

To the people who know me well, they know I am truly OBSESSED with foundation- ALL kinds!
I am on what I call a journey to search for make up products that I can basically live by and have gone through a massive range of what works and what doesn't, and trust me, this makes my foundation list of WORKS!
I am naturally tanned, so I use the NW35 and it blends excellent with my Mediterranean/olive tan.

Heres my overview:
Pros:
-Pump great for keeping control of how much to use
-Lasts on ALL Day/Night if applied properly and set with loose powder (I use translucent)
-Doesn't flake
-Doesn't rub off or smudge off
-Really nice coverage- i'd say medium-dark

Cons
-Pricey, but then again you are purchasing a MAC product, so its expected
-Colour will oxidise, not too much, but you can always get a shade lighter than your usual colour
-Feels oily on the skin after applied, but nothing setting powder can't fix!

A must try for girls who love their foundation to do what its supposed to do- give excellent coverage, last on all day, not transfer off your face and look GREAT in pictures!

on 9/14/2011 10:48:00 PM

This is my first makeupalley review and I cant help but write this because Im very impressed with MAC Pro Longwear foundation. It really last all day and have a natural dewy finish that I love. Im NC37 in MAC Mineralize foundation and got the NC40 in Pro Longwear. I dont see much difference between NC35 and NC40 on my skin but chose the darker version because this foundation seems to be on the lighter side. It doesnt feel oily and didnt cause any breakouts. My skin is normal type with occasional pimples. Used it even without primer and still last long. I just use my fingers to apply it, but the MUA said the 187 duo fibre brush will make it more polished.

on 9/14/2011 4:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

I don't normally write reviews without having bought the product, but I hope that this will be able to help someone with medium skin who's unsure of what shade to get. For reference, I'm about an NC40-42, neutral yellow toned. Almost exact foundation matches have been Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation in Warm Natural and NARS Balanced in St Tropez. I currently mix NARS Sheer Glow in Syracuse and Stromboli together. My Estee Lauder Double Wear match is Shell Beige, although it's not a great match (too peach and ashy). I never seem to get a good match with MAC foundations - they're either too yellow, too peach, too dark or too light.

Well, I couldn't get a colour match with this (even though the MAC makeup artist was trying to persuade me that NC42 was perfect, I could see that it was too dark). I managed to get samples of NC40 and NC42 to take home and try. NC40 is very peach-toned and was a bit too light for me. I took a picture of myself with my camera flash turned on (as this foundation has titanium dioxide which can make darker people look washed out in flash photography), and in the picture my face looked about five shades lighter than my neck. NC42 is VERY yellow toned, too yellow for me, and a bit too dark, but after taking the picture with flash, it didn't look too bad. Much better than in real life, anyway! So, to get my ideal match, I would have to buy NC40 and NC42, and mix them. I'm not going to do that, as I'm honestly so fed up of doing that - I had to buy two shades each of Bobbi Brown Natural Finish foundation, and NARS Sheer Glow.

As for the formula itself, it's quite lightweight, much more lightweight than Estee Lauder Double Wear. Consequently, you have to use quite a bit if you have an uneven skintone or any blemishes. You do have to blend it in quite quickly as well, before it sets. I did find it easier to blend than Double Wear, but I ended up using far more than I liked. With Double Wear, you only need to use a tiny bit. The foundation wore pretty well, but not as well as Double Wear. It did feel and look a lot more natural though.

I just wouldn't buy this due to there being no colour match for me. I'm still waiting to get a sample of Estee Lauder Double Wear in Henna, which is a new shade and very yellow toned. Hopefully that will be my HG long-wear foundation!

EDIT June 2012 - I got a large sample of this to try again as I thought that I might buy a bottle of it. I don't know what happened, but I found it to be terrible. I suit the NC40 colour better now, as my skin is a bit lighter, but it's still a tiny bit too pale (and I'd forgotten how yellow the NC42 shade is. It's almost Simpsons yellow). But the real shock is the formula. It took forever to dry, and felt tacky on my skin. It made my skin go shiny after a few hours. And it made me break out. This is nothing like Double Wear! I'm taking my score down from 3 to 2.

Video Reviews & Tutorials