Revlon Colorsilk

Price: $

Price: $

on 9/30/2008 10:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This produce covers my gray better than anything else I have tried, and I have tried a lot. I was feeling so frustrated paying $150 to have my hair cut and colored at the salon, only to find that I had gray showing within days. Over the years I have gone back in forth between Clairol and Feria. I have to say that this Revlon product just really works! I have been using it for over 2 years, and I color every 5-6 weeks (I loathe roots showing). You can get it at Target sometimes for under $3. For the price, it makes touch ups easy and cheap. I've got my mother-in-law hooked too. I use the Mohagany Brown which gives it a nice red glow and thoroughly covers my gray, and then sometimes I lighten up with a Reddish Brown. I have received many more compliments on my shiny, healthy looking hair since I switched to this Revlon Colorsilk product.

on 9/30/2008 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Mixed feelings.

Backround..my hair has been highlighted blond for years but I recently went brunette. (at the salon) Its been a nightmare trying to keep my brunette from fading and having my dumb highlights shine through andlook brassy. So I would literally be at the salon every other week trying to cover it with a single process. I didnt wanna waste anymore money so I figured Id just try a box.

Okay well I would try Colorsilk bc of the reviews.First thing...apparently DARK BROWN, means jetblack?! My hair is BLACK. Not brown. Not dark brown. Whatever, I'm sure it will fade with a few washes, hopefully. I tohught the application was easy, the gloves were fine. My scapl burnt just a tad. No biggy. So when I began to wash this stuff out..it took forever. I was washing and washing and washing. And in the mean time, A CRAP LOAD of my hair was falling out. Idk if thats normal or not. But when I used Excellence a longlong time ago, I don't recall that much hair falling out. Anyway. Okay I finsihed washing out hte dye and my hair felt pretty poooopy and strawy but then I put the conditioner they give you in my hair and it felt super soft and nice. I dont really think the conditioner worked wonders...its just my hair felt like sh!t before so no matter what I used would make it feel nice again.

So. I mean my hair feels alot better then it usually does after a box color. Granted, it's not in better condition then it was before (like the box claims) But I wasnt expecting that. Maybe if my hair wasnt BLACK right now, Id be a lil bit happier. But out of all the dumb box color crap Ive used, this is def the best. If my hair stays black, I will totally take back that statement though.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I'll be honest with you, i avoided this haircolor for as long as i had been dyeing my hair, but when i needed an immediate color change and had little funds, the results were quite nice. I purchased these again for 99 at Walgreens yesterday in medium brown and the color came out beautiful and really shiny. For me the color can last 6-8 weeks without fading, but a lot of that has to do with using the proper products for color treated hair. I would certainly purchase this again and recommend it to all my drugstore customers buying hair color in the future

on 9/11/2008 1:02:00 PM

First of all I used Colorsilk, #04, Ultra Light Natural Blonde (2 boxes) on my just above the shoulder, thick med/dk. blonde w/gray thick hair. I am bowled over re results. I admit it, I was a product snob. Resisted Colorsilk and never, ever used it before. Used to see at rundown closeout store and figured nobody wanted it. I also resisted because it was so cheap and, more probably, because my mother uses it. After all, what could she know?
So, while living on a poverty level budget, I gave myself an at-home Extreme Hair makeover yesterday. Total cost: $8.58. My hair was too long for my age (cougar material), and the color was horribly drab. Lopped off three inches myself. Too bad I don't have before pic. Will upload results photo, if I can figure out how. Advice pls?

Have gray, very color-resistant hair, so left color mixture on for 50 minutes. Color came out extremely light, very even, completely colored gray. I did notice that, due to my own oversight, missed a patch in the back. My bad!
Advice, especially when using very blonde shades, condition for a good 30 minutes after color process. After rinsing out condish, gave hair two spritzes of Infusium Repairology (great "after process" treatment).

While hair is damp and also when dry, I applied cream conditioner (can use hair cream or whatcha got lying around) to your hair. I let my hair air dry (do not blow dry) and then iron for finishing. Use a hair iron? Reapply cream before and/or after ironing. I do this and my hair, even though it is very light, does not have that parched dry look that I hate. This helps your hair "bounce back."
Also after coloring, avoid harsh shampoos or shampoo all together. CO washing is good for retaining your color.

Reasons why I like product:
gave great "lift" in single process;
actually had pleasant fragrance;
did not irritate my scalp;
did not leave that hair color "after feel"; and
extremely reasonable price - less then 1/2 price of some other drugstore brands.

on 8/29/2008 11:55:00 PM

I got this in Auburn Brown for about $3 or so. Good and cheap and the color was gorgeous, BUT IT FADED FASTER THAN A DEMI PERMANENT.

will not buy again.

on 8/26/2008 9:52:00 PM

Naturally, I have light brown hair that I lighten to blonde. Currently my hair is very light blonde. Typically I tend to purchase ultra light blonde hair dyes, no matter the brand. The lightest shade possible without being bleach, are the dyes I generally go for. Most brands leave my hair very light, but this brand (04) Ultra light Natural Blonde is up there. I always turn to this color when I want extremely light hair. Usually, What I do is after I apply the color (only touch ups on roots), I put olive oil on the ends to keep them protected. I then put my hair up into a shower cap. Then wrap my head in a towel. I've noticed that doing this, the results are far better. The heat speeds up the process and you get the most out of the color. after 45 mins or so I wash my hair and am pleased. Also I suggest all blondes to invest on purple shampoo. No matter the dye, most blonde dyes WILL leave your hair looking brassy. A purple shampoo such as Shimmer Lights will tone down the brassy tones, leaving your hair looking awesome.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been using Colorsilk # 03, ultra light sun blonde for several months now. I have light brown hair that I keep VERY blonde. My hair also grows super fast, so I have to do my roots every 4 weeks or so to keep it looking good and natural.

I had been using hydrience, but I was having a hard time finding a color that would lift the color off my roots enough to have it look good. I read that this was a good high lift color, so I decided to try it. I used 2 boxes initially to get a good color and then only do my roots now every 4 weeks.

Yes, the gloves are horrible and the conditioner isn't enough for mid back length hair. But I just use a good big bottle of different conditioner. I'm not buying it for the conditioner, I'm buying it for the color. I am pleasantly surprised at how good the color turns out, as people think that I'm having it done at a salon instead of doing it myself. Not bad for about $3 a box.

on 8/13/2008 1:35:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I've done basically every hair dye brand out there, and Colorsilk has always been the absolute best for me.

I like trying new things, so I often choose other brands and stuff I've never tried before just to give it a shot, but Colorsilk is always my safe bet. And it's usually my savior when it comes to correcting ugly dye jobs.

The color always comes out the way I want it to, always matching the box, or maybe a bit darker which I don't mind.
And it's sooo cheap, you'd think it would suck. But I would buy this product if it was 8 dollars like the rest of them.

I usually use light ash brown, because I dont like any trace of red to be in my hair. This is the only product that removes all the red tinge in my hair. If you look at the color in your hand its like an olive green color.
My hair always comes out awesome.

I Love it!

on 8/11/2008 10:37:00 AM

i use medium rich brown...love the color..makes hair so soft and shiny and covers gray which is very important to me. it's so cheap this stuff is the best

I used a dark red shade of this, and although I didn't end up falling in love with the color with my skin tone, it did great things for my hair! So my friend colored my hair in the bath tub, and after I shampoo'd out the dye and was blow drying it, my hair looked SOOO shiny! It looked like a WIG! Afterwards my hair was soft, managable and not to mention totally shiny and healthy-looking. I'm not sure if it was actually good for my hair, but it definetly made it look it. Good stuff.

Popular Hair Color Products