Dior Hypnotic Poison

on 10/23/2013 8:02:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Iv been in love with this for years. It kinda smells between chocolate and play dough. Its delicious. The down side is that I cant find a copy.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Best of the three, this is a Poison I can survive with on a daily basis. This Poison's fumes expand and grow minute by minute, giving you an ultimately powdered, spicy experience. Reminiscent of true orientals from yesteryear, it delivers a solid, steady wood-filled punch for hours.
I love when perfumes give me images when I wear them. It makes wearing them all the more interesting.
Veils of foggy mists on undulating mountains, overlooking lush valleys interspersed with lakes on a raw, damp day. The air is chilled and the grey skies won't let the sun through. It's a bit soggy underfoot, the pine needles are soft and quiet as I am walking. An occasional branch snaps as I maneuver through the trails. Pillars of evergreens form an open roof above me. That's where Hypnotic Poison takes me.
It's a cool weather scent that I haven't become tired of and reach for regularly.
Top Notes: Apricot, Plum, Coconut.
Middle Notes: Tuberose, Jasmine, Caraway, Lily-Of-The-Valley, Brazilian Rosewood, Rose.
Base Notes: Sandalwood, Almond, Musk, Vanilla.

on 10/16/2013 9:24:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

After not liking much of what has launched in dept stores for the past 10 years or so (except for some delicious Serge Lutens & Bond No 9 perfumes that fall into the oriental/gourmand category), I'm circling back to the great oriental woody/vanilla scents from 10-15 years ago that I still have half-used bottles of in my closet. Great winter scents.

Among my golden oldies are Dior Hypnotic Poison, Gucci Rush, Givenchy Organza Indecence, Must de Cartier Classic, Burberry Classic, Chanel Allure EDP -- all the same basic genre -- rich deep orientals containing vanilla (the vanilla being probably my favorite perfume note of all time, besides musk) -- and I've pulled them all back out and have started using them again. All are original bottles, no reformulations, and they're all still great.

Dior Hypnotic Poison! When I bought my bottle, many years ago, it was hard on my wallet and became my new prized possession -- it was my #1 at the time (late 90's, I think) -- and I still have 1/2 a bottle left. Being a nice cool Fall day, I'm wearing Hypnotic Poison now -- this perfume (as the others listed above) really suits Fall weather.

Here are the notes, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes: Apricot, Coconut, Plum, Pimento
Heart Notes: Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Rose, Rosewood, Tuberose
Base Notes: Almond, Sandalwood, Vanilla

To me, it smells like a "vanilla noir", and mostly sandalwood-vanilla. It's definitely vanilla, but it has deep dark rich notes (not patchouli, fortunately) that make it sultry/sexy/mysterious. And it also has a "dusty" quality, to my nose -- not powdery exactly, more dusty/papery.

It's strong and heavy (as are all the Poisons), but to my nose, it's very beautiful. Cozy, warm, delicious -- definitely best in cool/cold Fall/Winter weather (not warm Spring or Summer at ALL, I don't think) & it fits the holiday season perfectly.

I still own & really like orig Poison (deep, dark, kinda "grapey" oriental), Pure Poison (white floral), and Midnight Poison (rose-patchouli), but Hypnotic is my favorite of all the Poisons, because of its prominent vanilla, which the others don't have.

on 10/9/2013 10:41:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I absolutely love this perfume. It's so dark and sweet and beautiful. I'm finally getting a full bottle, and it's sillage/longevity is insane. I tested some on my wrist at Ulta to make a final decision, and my jacket sleeve is still deliciously scented, two days later! This is not play doh on me; I get root beer at first spray, then velveteen vanilla, and then a sweet, soft almond that lasts for days. <3 This is so me. The only perfumes that even come close are Givenchy's Organza and Gucci's Guilty.

on 10/8/2013 9:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This was my first venture into high-end perfumes. I bought a tester first. Honestly, I really was not expecting this to work for me. I only tried it because I've been on a black licorice kick for some reason. The reviews also mention root beer, which I love the scent of as well.

But, wow! One little spray and I knew I'd be buying a full bottle. The scent has already been described, and clearly varies a lot with body chemistry, so I won't go into that. I will say that on me, it is warm and sweet (but not overly so) and sexy. So sexy!

To my complete and utter amazement, it passed the husband test. I would've worn it even if it hadn't, but that was a bonus. He haaaates nearly every perfume, but loves, not just tolerates, this. (To be clear, this isn't a factor in my love for this, just a nice surprise. I wear perfumes for myself, though of course it's nice to not make those around you feel sick if you can help it!).

The staying power is incredible, and it absolutely needs a light touch. One quick spray is plenty. I almost wish this came in a form in which you could just dab it on.

So, yeah...an unexpected, passionate affair for me with this!

on 9/26/2013 4:07:00 AM

I was given this perfume as a gift from a dear friend who managed the Lancome booths in a Dillard's store. It was a tester that she brought home that had probably been sprayed less than 20 times.

In the bottle, or the air, it seems almost sickeningly sweet like root beer. But once it is on my skin, it dries down into a lovely deep vanilla-musk. I love vanillas and I was afraid after reading reviews it would remain root beer-y but alas, I am fortunate to have good chemistry with this perfume.

It lasts forever and, while it is a winter scent, I will wear it anytime, anywhere it is so good.

on 9/8/2013 8:30:00 PM

I tested this in the store. I found it too sweet for my tastes. I was expecting an elegant and mature scent but this reminded me of a perfume young teenagers would wear. It smelled like Kellogg's Fruit Loops to me. Which is not something I aspire to smell like, no hard feelings Toucan Sam. :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I didn't buy this, but I tested it out in the store, and it smells exactly like Play Doh. Not a very sexy, sweet, or mysterious scent. If you want this smell, just rub Playdoh on your wrists, you will smell the same lol.

on 5/26/2013 6:36:00 PM

I bought this perfume after spraying it on a tester, thinking it smelled pretty good. OMG. What was I thinking??? A few other people have compared it to Play-doh or plastic. That's about the reaction I had too. I sprayed it on my wrist, took one sniff, and promptly washed it off... except the darn scent was still there! It took several days and many washings to get all of the stink to disappear. One of the grossest things I've ever smelled.

on 5/15/2013 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This was the first "real perfume" I owned, given to me as a gift nearly a decade ago by my parents. At the time, I was only familiar with two categories of perfume, "regular" and "grandma". The former was primarily comprised of the generic fruity floral blends favored by my peers, and the latter consisted of anything that deviated from it.
Hypnotic Poison was the perfume that seemed to break this mold. It was far less straightforward and darker than the scents favored by my peers, yet was light and sweet enough to avoid falling into the category of old lady. It seemed to project mystery. One sniff and I was hooked.
For years, this was the sole perfume I owned. I would douse myself in it before heading to school. Initially, it would be perfume perfection- a mixture of almond, sandalwood, musk and vanilla that could perhaps be best described as an adult root beer. Inevitably, after a few hours I would be left with a dry down not unlike the coppery smell of blood. Yet I persisted in wearing it for some bizarre reason, to stubborn to admit the perfume didn't work on me. Eventually, I wound up giving it up to my sister.
I was at a shop this past weekend and they had this perfume on the counter. Nostalgic, I decided to give it a try for old times sake. To my nose, it smelled quite different-there was no obvious changes is notes, the whole thing seemed to have a different feel (for the lack of a better term). Previously to my nose Hypnotic Poison possessed a slightly nostril stinging, faintly metallic effervescence-giving it an almost carbonated feel. Now it's much more quite-still and straightforward. The mystery is gone.
That being said, I still think that this is a good perfume for people looking to branch away from the typical fruits and florals marketed to women. This is due to the familiarity and comfort provided by the vanilla, with none of the heavy feel that sometimes comes with orientals.

Popular Fragrances