The Body Shop Vitamin C Micro Refiner

4.4

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

aqua, sodium diatomeae, glycerin, prunus dulcis, dimethicone, butyruspernum parkii, cetearyl alcohol, glyceryl stearate, phenoxyethanol, PEG-100 stearate, acrylates/C10-30 alkyl acrylate crosspolymer, polysorbate 60, methylparaben, xanthan gum, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, propylparaben, sodium hydroxide, parfum, limonene, disodium EDTA, linalool, benzyl benzoate, hexyl cinnamal, citrus dulcis, citrus grandis, citronellol, citral, geraniol, benzyl alcohol.

on 6/19/2010 10:31:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

*read the EDIT*

THEY HAVE DISCONTINUED THIS!
Along with the Vit C mask from the same line, which also had high ratings here on MUA.
I can't believe why would they discontinue their best scrub?! I'm sure this is that evil L'Oréal's doing!
Onto the actual product...
I think this is a really good scrub. The beads are tiny but hard, but they are gentle if you don't go at it scrubbing your face vigorously.
It is EFFECTIVE. I notice the baby smoothness especially if I haven't been exfoliating for a couple of weeks. Otherwise my skin is always smooth anyway.
Also, a little goes a long way with this one.
Oh and, on my first use I did have a reaction to it. I got tiny little red bumps all over my face. My skin is not really sensitive, but sometimes reacts to the new products like this. Not break-outs, just some irritation or over-production of oil. However, it never happened again. So don't throw it away after the first use! Give it a second chance.
Although I love it and it breaks my heart to see it discontinued(it's removed from the UK website), it had a few cones:
1. It uses almond beads to scrub. Almond is one of the gentler natural scrubs but it's still not perfectly round as it should be.
2. Vit C goes bad too easily. My brand new tube smelled off, plasticy. Not citrusy like mentioned here. I took it back to the store and the tester one smelled the same. The lady there told it was normal. *shrugs* So... I don't think the vit C in it is doing anything for your skin.
3. It's overpriced. It's retailed for about 35$ here in Turkey! And the vit C line rarely gets a BOGO sale.
4. I don't think you should use it more than a few times a week. This is not a daily scrub!
5. Although I use it in conjunction with other exfoliating treatments like AHAs, BHAs, masks and LUSH AOBS; so sometimes I don't get to use this often enough to watch the brightening effect, but I don't think it has much of it. Maybe only if I have really dull skin because I haven't been exfoliating for days, which is rare. It's good at erasing dullness but it doesn't give any extra "glow".
Now LUSH Angels on Bare Skin gives that "glowing" effect.
Overall, I don't mind these cones enough to give up on this product. Gets 4 lippies. I'd always want to have it available. *sigh*

EDIT: Apparently this product has been reformulated along with the rest of the Vitamin C line which is being revamped.
Read about it here:

The new product has a very similar formula but now it contains Aluminum beads too, which is a good thing. Synthetic beads are perfectly round.

The new formula:

Water (Solvent/Diluent), Solum Diatomeae (Abrasive), Glycerin (Humectant), Aluminum Silicate (Exfoliant), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil (Skin-Conditioning Agent), Dimethicone (Skin Conditioning Agent), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) (Skin-Conditioning Agent/Emollient), Cetearyl Alcohol (Emulsifier), Glyceryl Stearate (Emulsifier), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), PEG-100 Stearate (Surfactant), Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer (Stabiliser/Viscosity Modifier), Polysorbate 60 (Surfactant), Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Antioxidant), Xanthan Gum (Viscosity Modifier), Fragrance (Fragrance), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster), Disodium EDTA (Chelating Agent), Linalool (Fragrance Ingredient), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Myrciaria Dubia Fruit Extract (Skin-Conditioning Agent), Citral (Fragrance Ingredient).

amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! best scrub ever, makes skin feel soft all week

on 2/22/2010 12:23:00 AM

I needed a new exfoliator and just started using this for a few days. I've got to say that i really like it so far! A little does a lot. At first I was hesitant because of the priciness of this, but it does do a good job in cleaning my face. I like to mix this with my fave cleansing product, and i have to say my face feels so soft and clean after doing so! The sales suggested I use this twice a week, but I have oily skin, so I usually use it on a daily basis, again using a little bit mixed with my regular cleansar, and i'm happy to say that it hasn't dried my skin at all!

on 2/2/2010 5:31:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I bought this a while back, looking to brighten my skin. The young man who sold it to me said " I use it " and he had really great skin. I got it home and tried it. I was underwhelmed. Even as *just an exfoliator it sucks, as for microdermabrasion cream....I don't think so, Jack. What's more, the cream base made me break out so bad!!! Six months later its still sitting in my shower and no doubt mildewy now. I use it to scrub my legs and feet. Do not waste your money!

on 12/7/2009 3:23:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Holy crumbs batman! This stuff is amazing!
I picked up a sample over the weekend and tried it in the shower tonight - brilliant stuff, love the scent, love the soft polished feeling that it gave me. Plus it didn't upset my dry/sensitive/eczema prone skin. The tiny pot that I got given will last me at least four goes so def a little goes a long way (and will tide me over until I get to TBS to purchase full size).
As the people below me said the grains are very fine but I really like that about it - I've been told the huge granule type exfoliators can damage your skin as they can scratch it.

Very very happy - looks like it will be my new HG.

on 8/19/2009 8:29:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This scrub is gentle and I use it twice a day, because I had way too many face wash and wanted to get rid of them one by one by using them. At first I thought it would be too much using it twice, as it is an exfoliate. It's been 2 months, and I def feel that it is gentle enough to use. I have normal skin and it does not over dry. I like to vitamin C feel, the smooth, primer-like, if you've used the Body Shop's Vitamin C product, you will notice that they all have that texture. It smells good, and a little goes a long way. It removes makeup as well. The exfoliating beads do not do much, but again if I use it daily then I only need a little bit of its work each time. Would buy this again!

on 8/14/2009 6:59:00 AM

Wonderful wonderful scrub. It comes out almost creamy like... with tiny tiny beads.

I've only used this a few times as I've just bought my first tube... first impression, wonderful. It's not too harsh, yet feels like all the dried up skin and bumpy bits are being scrubbed away.

It smells great too, very refreshing citrusy fragrance.

on 7/30/2009 8:35:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Awesome micro exfoliator. Honestly, i don't know how anyone can go back to big, scratchy granual type exfoliatiors after using micro-dermabrasion type products. Let me first declare that i have always been completely mentally allergic to any cosmetic that sounds high-tech, anti-aging or affiliated with cosmetic surgery, does anyone else read the words "micro-dermabrasion" and shudder? I got on to this product by accident after a friend urged me to try Mary Kay's version of this (sorry i forgot the name) which is also great. I'm heading towards 30 and find that my skin is getting more and more touchy, i find if i have a pimple and squeeze it my face is much more prone to scarring than it ever was. If i use a harsh exfoliator i'm always afraid of disturbing my skin too much and exacerbating the problem. This product is fantastic, it gets rid of all the flakies but the micro-granules seem to softly "polish" my skin rather pull and scratch. If you haven't tried a product like this before this one is a good place to start and the orange fragrance is lovely especially in the morning. Also, don't be put off by the small tube as it is very concentrated, in fact i usually mix it with whatevever cleanser i'm using to speed things up. Will buy again and again and again!!

on 7/4/2009 12:25:00 AM

I really really really wanted to luv this scub. First off the exfoliating particles(or whatever they're called) are way too small to really exfoliate your skin. When you use a good scrub, afterwards your skin should be smooth and soft, not with this. It works the same way a cleanser does in my case and you could buy a better scrub at a cheaper price(was $25+tax).

on 4/23/2009 5:10:00 AM

A bit steep for a facial scrub but my HG scrub anyway. I love how the constituency is so smooth and gentle for a scrub yet does its work so efficiently. Love how it leaves face feeling so clean, smooth and radiant.

Popular Scrubs