Bio Oil All Products

3.5

Botanicals Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract (Calendula Oil) Lavandula Angustifolia Oil (Lavender Oil) Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Oil (Rosemary Oil) Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil (Chamomile Oil) Vitamins Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A) Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E) Oil base Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum) Triisononanoin Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate Isopropyl Myristate Glycine Soja Oil Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil BHT Bisabolol Fragrance (Rose) Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone Amyl Cinnamal Benzyl Salicylate Citronellol Coumarin Eugenol Farnesol Geraniol Hydroxycitronellal Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde Limonene Linalool Color (Orange) D&C Red No.17 (CI 26100)

bought this in the summer at giant tiger (its cheaper there than at walmart) and im very impressed. I havent been using it that much anymore because i'm lazy, but for the amount i've used it, im amazed.

I have stretch marks on my inner thighs and i've had them since i was about 12. They have turned a dark purple colour over the years, and because i'm a dancer, people always see my legs. I've been really self-conscious in the summer as well due to short shorts. I use bio oil on these stretch marks and theyre beginning to fade!

pros:
-smells good
-works
-easy to find at stores
-inexpensive
-lasts a long time
cons:
-very oily/ greasy

i tried to use this on my face for acne scarring, but the bio oil made me break out. I think i broke out because it was too much for my already-oily skin to handle. by all means try this product - it works wonders.
thanks bio oil, you're amazing

on 2/3/2011 11:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I bought this last summer to prevent a mild scrape on my leg from turning into a scar. I used this as directed but a scar still formed (it looks like I have a bruise on my thigh). I expected some discolouration but I don't feel that Bio Oil helped at all.

To use up my bottle, I decided to use it as a makeup remover to be followed with a cleanser. A week later, I have small bumps on my face where I never get bumps. I'm not sure but it seems to be an allergic reaction..? I'm thinking perhaps it could be the fragrance that irritated my skin. So it's now sitting in my fridge waiting for someone who wants to swap for it.

I am in the boat with the others who believe that Bio Oil is just glorified mineral oil. For those people who it "worked" for, my personal opinion is that mineral oil would probably be just as effective. The fading of scars people experience are most likely due to a combination of massage with oil + TIME. Not b/c of the Bio Oil. Would NOT re-buy.

on 2/3/2011 1:08:00 AM

Bio Oil is kind of a miracle! I was lucky not to have acne as a teen. Now that I am 35+ :) I started getting really bad adult, cystic acne! They are taking months to heal, and when they do go away...they are leaving deep red, almost maroon scars. I have been seeing my Dermatologist 2x a week for injections, Blue Light Treatment and Retin-A. I have been using Bio-Oil morning and night for about a week...and my acne scarring is already going away. Seriously! I love the feel, smell and performance of this product. I now even use it as my all over body moisturizer. A great find!!

I will add the slew of commens and reinforce the fact that this stuff is fantastic for minimizing the appearance of scar tissue.

Great alternative use: Severely chapped Lips. Put a dab on at night before going to bed and you'll have soft lips in the morning that will take you to at least the early afternoon before you have to re-apply balm.

on 1/26/2011 1:14:00 PM

I saw a very detailed review of this oil on a forum back in the day:
(http://www.soompi.com/forums/topic/77822-bio-oil-the-stuff-miracles-are-made-of/).
I was very impressed and was a little sad though, because I live in Canada and we usually don't get anything worthwhile. I had a few red acne scars I wished to get rid of, but I thought that I couldn't really do anything about them so I just accepted them. Then all of a sudden, my local Wal-Mart started carrying bio-oil! I was so shocked! It was right after I read the review too!! It was as though Wal-Mart read my thoughts. I've wanted to try it ever since reading what the girl wrote!!
So I convinced my dad to buy the little bottle (50 mL). I would massage it into my face after washing and toning it and it would just sit there for a minute or so, then sink in. Last year, I would get itchy stress rashes on the sides of my cheeks because of school. Nothing I did would calm it down, moisturize it, get rid of the flakiness or just rid of it. It was awful, my skin is quite fair so blemishes show up quite blatantly. They were itchy too, so I would scratch it and the rash would sometimes bleed. Not to mention the flakes!! They were terrible.
I tried bio-oil on that AND IT WENT AWAY. Firstly, it soothed it, the itchiness went away. Because it's an oil and it's moisturizing, the flakes went away too. And I also stopped touching it because I didn't want oily fingers that spread put bio-oil everywhere! I was convinced from then on.
Because I live in Canada, the winters are quite harsh, drying out my skin. My answer to that: BIO-OIL!
In my opinion, it's an oil, but a more fluid oil. I'm assuming it's very unsaturated because the consistency is thinner than that of say, olive oil. It really does get absorbed into your skin, it just takes some time. I do not recommend applying this right before your makeup routine. It will lift your makeup off gradually and smear (remember, it's still an oil, making it somewhat like a makeup remover).
What I do in the morning is my routine (brush teeth, wash face, apply bio-oil) then give the oil some time to absorb. I usually eat breakfast or pack up my stuff for school. Then when I come back, makeup application is smooth and easy.
For those days you just have to rush, don't use this. I just apply some Nivea moisturizer for when I need faster moisture. Sometimes I wish it would sink in faster, yes. So one lippie off for that.
I like the smell too, it's relaxing. It's almost a floral but not sweet, a little herbal-medicinal kinda scent. Not chemically at all!

I even got my younger sister hooked! I bought that little teeny bottle back in summer of 2009. My sister started using it too and the two of us finished it (with daily applications) right at the end of 2010. Great value!! When we did run out, I ran to her and yelled "WE RAN OUT OF BIO-OIL!!!", to which she replied, "I KNOW!!".
It wasn't even a question to whether we were going to buy another bottle, it was just WHEN. We now have the 125 mL, for around $18.
Packaging is nothing exciting, just clear plastic with a white cap. It isn't cheap, flimsy plastic, nor is it some high-tech spinny-thing that will blow your mind. Just a simple bottle.

I also use it under my eyes to prevent pre-mature aging (I stay up late often). I used olive oil once... then got some eye issues. The olive oil stung my eyes and my optometrist told me to stop using it because it was giving me an infection. (WHAT?) But this is mild and fine. She detected no problems when I was using this.

I love this stuff!

on 1/20/2011 4:18:00 PM

This stuff is amazing, it has so many different uses.. but the best thing it does is HEAL ACNE SCARS!!! This really works for that, it completely faded my scarring and I started seeing it doing so after two nights. Some people have said that you need to keep using it even after the scars have faded to keep the results, I don't know how that is possible, once they are gone, they're gone. I have stopped using it on my scarring and it didn't come back. Another thing I love to use this for is adding it to bathwater. It makes for a very moisturizing bath and just a couple drops are needed. I have used this to prevent razor burn, on razor burn, dry skin (especially on my nose when I get a cold), on rashes... and I am still discovering uses. For $20 a bottle, you definitely get your money out of it. After using it on all these things, I still have about 80% of the bottle left. No wonder it's a cult favorite.

on 1/17/2011 5:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

I came across this in Ulta one day. I was looking for an alternative to Mederma, and picked this up. I am so glad I did. I have a small mound of scar tissue on the inside of my left calf. I have no idea how it got there, I just noticed it one day. I went straight to the doctor to get it checked out, because like an idiot I used tanning beds a lot when I was younger. The doctor informed me it was scar tissue and I could try Mederma to lessen it's appearance. So I used Mederma for awhile and it helped a bit, but not as much as I would like. So I picked up Bio Oil. (not to say Mederma is not a great product. I used it on my son's scar from having open heart surgery and that was a miracle worker on him. You can barely even see it, it just didn't work as well on me.)
Now let me say that I have been using this twice a day for over a year, so it definitely takes some time and consistency. But the results are amazing. What was once a dark pinkish colored scar that was raised and about the diameter of a pencil eraser is now a pale colored mark that is flat and much smaller. I have also started putting it on a scar on my knee that I have had since I was a kid and that one also looks much better. I have barely used any product too. The bottle is still at least 3/4's full. If I need to, I will definitely repurchase.

on 1/16/2011 9:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I use bio oil as a pre-cleanse to get my sunscreen off. It makes my skin soft to touch, but I don't think I will use it as a leave on treatment on my face as it's basically mineral oil which is incompatible with my acne prone skin. It's quite oily, but it's ok I can always wash it off with my cetaphil. :) 3 stars.

on 1/11/2011 2:19:00 AM

I first bought bio oil maybe a year ago to get rid of stretch marks caused by emotional weight gain but i didn't think anything of it most likely cause i didn't stick with it for long and just shrugged it off and threw it in my drawer of never to be used things. So my weight has kind of fluctuated up and down since moving to another country because my lifestyle is different and therefore eating and exercise habits change. I've managed to control this now and I can honestly tell you that: people say you get stretch marks when you gain a bunch of weight your skin can't handle, and when you lose a bunch of weight. I can tell you that you get a million times more stretch marks gaining than you will by losing. But if you wanna skip stretch marks altogether, I suggest losing weight gradually rather than aggressively like I did. I lost about 10-15 lbs in 3 weeks just through diet. I'm not really the bigger type but when i lose control of what i eat, i tend to eat a whole lot of junk and gain weight. But otherwise, my metabolism is pretty fast. All I did to lose the weight was eat healthier and removing junk completely from my life. So fast-forward maybe 2 months now... I'm back to my original size but i'm stuck with these stretch marks from when i gained all that weight (thanks mom for the lovely genes). And i say "well what else am i supposed to do?" while staring at my bottle of bio oil. So I started using it for 2 weeks and I started to see a difference. My stretch marks weren't purple or anything but they were dark enough that when I wore shorts you could see some ugliness along my inner thighs and the back of my thighs below my butt. It got to a point where even my dad would be like "you need to do something about those marks".. and my dad NEVER comments on how i look! So 2 weeks later, i noticed my stretch marks actually faded from a pink to barely even pink and mostly to those white stretch marks that are barely visible. The white stretch marks are mostly problem with texture since it almost seems like you have cottage cheese thighs. But i'm going to keep using it and see what i can do about those.

For those that feel this doesn't work, I think perhaps it's the purple stretch marks that cause the hardest time for people and are way harder to fade than pink ones. So it'll definitely take more time. But i think at the point where you have purple stretch marks, it'd be best going to see a doctor about them rather than using these minor oil treatments. I don't know and I can't comment but all i can say is that this product worked for me and i'll keep using it. I purchased the little bottle for $14 CAD and i think it is worth the money since I've barely made a dent in my supply. I can't even imagine buying the big bottle cause i don't even use much. But I guess for people that have stretch marks all over their body it might be a good idea to invest in the big bottles.

The packaging is not too bad. I can't imagine applying this oil any other way.. I think pump would make it messier than it is. But i have to say the outside of the bottle is getting oily because i have to screw on the top after using it with my oily hands. But it's not too bad. I definitely recommend this product to people. If you get it, make sure u really commit to the twice a day everyday. I still got results using it once a day everyday, but i think it's most effective twice a day.

on 1/9/2011 1:37:00 PM

I bought this product because of stretch marks and I heard about it from the internet and I heard great reviews for it. So I tried it and didn't see much of a difference at first but thats to be expected so I kept using it. I decided to put it on areas where I usually get stretch marks too as a precautionary. and because I was so busy and not persistent with it I didn't use it everyday. So what happened was that the areas the had no stretch marks to begin with began to have stretch marks. At first I thought it was because I was just getting them. But after some experimentation I guess you could say I realized that the areas i put this on would get stretch marks if I was not persistent with it. So that scared me and I never touched this stuff again. For the price the bottle is really small and its pretty expensive if you ask me. As for acne I have no idea if its good but, as for stretch marks I do not recommend at all.

If you want to help your stretch marks i would suggest the cocoa butter: tummy butter its in a little jar and it works great! and its cheaper too!

Popular Body Skincare Products