Honey

4.4

Price: $

Price: $

Honey, propolis (some versions)

on 11/22/2008 2:30:00 AM

I accidentally bought the regular squirt-bottled honey instead of the raw kind, and still decided to experiment with it. I've only tried it once as a face mask, and have gotten good results. The real use I have for honey, though, is as a "boost" for my conditioner and body wash. I often have a bottle of conditioner that works just okay; adding a few squirts of honey in the bottle will make it FABulously more effective in moisturizing my hair. This has been enough for me so far to be satisfied with honey, but I will most likely be turning to it often as a face mask during colder months.

on 11/13/2008 9:27:00 AM

I was eager to try this because of all the great reviews, but now I regret it big time. I purchased a tall jar of raw honey and applied it to my face and left it on for about 10 minutes. When I rinsed it off... my face was blotchy and I had formed several seborrheic keratoses (wart-like bumps) on my face. Being of Filipino descent, I already had a few of these small, non-malignant skin growths on my face, but I was appalled to see that I had sprouted more due to the honey application. The only way to remove these is by cosmetic surgery, so I'm deeply regretting the honey application right now. Beware!

on 11/11/2008 5:15:00 PM

I bought myself some raw, unpasturized honey to use for masks.

I love it!!!

My skin looked so glowing and radiant after a couple of uses.

I just slather it on and let it sit for as long as I feel like. Usually 15 min to 30 min.

Although, don't over do it, like I did. I loved using the masks so much, that I started doing them every day. After about a week of this, I noticed I was breaking out at bit more than usual. After having about 5 new large zits on my cheek (where I rarely ever get acne), I decided to tone it down a notch.

I do think that honey has some properties that encourage your skin to purge. I noticed the first time I did the mask, after washing it off, I had a few little whiteheads on my face that suddenly appeared. It wasn't new zits exactly, just my skin pushing some stuff to the surface. They were little and easy to extract.

I think I'll be doing honey masks about 2X a week from now on. I love love love it!!!

on 11/10/2008 5:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I'll admit it - it took me too long to get on this bandwagon! I have oily, cystic-acne-prone skin . I have tried countless products including Accutane and birth control pills, which worked but my acne returned soon after stopping.
For the past 6 months, I have been using a combination of the Clarisonic and regular honey masks (just raw honey) and my skin has never been so clear and radiant. I feel so much more comfortable using these over chemical/prescription products. My old acne scars also look like they're lightening - a combination of honey's bleaching effect (be careful around eyebrows/lashes!) and the Clarisonic's exfoliation. My routine: remove makeup and cleanse using dr.Bronner's rose soap and the Clarisonic. Honey mask twice a week. Moisturize with a quick swipe of 100% cocoa butter if I feel like I need it.

on 11/5/2008 7:04:00 AM

I used to apply aspirin mixed with honey on my face every two days and it helped me a lot! Honey is very good against any kind of problems on your face AND hair :) ifor example, if you skin and/or scalp is dry, yu can just apply honey on it (for your hair: mix it with shampoo) and it does wonders!

It's weird that I love honey so much, yet never EAT it :P

on 11/1/2008 11:08:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Honey is a great deep moisturizer for HAIR. Try using 1 dollop honey to 2 dollops conditioner. It will not be sticky at all once it is mixed in your palm. Distribute evenly through the hair and let it sit while you do other showerly things. It will rinse cleanly and leave your hair soft and moisturized. This is especially helpful in the winter for my hair! If you have a deep conditioning heated cap, try mixing aloe vera, honey and conditioner in equal parts together, applying it from scalp to ends, and sitting under the cap for 30 minutes.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I suffer from constant breakouts and cystic acne and *nothing* topical i've tried has cleared up my acne nor prevented it, and I've tried most things. I use to use Aveeno sensative skin products, which I still like, but they didn't treat the acne. Thought I still use the night cream. I think my acne is hormonal and i'm on BC, soon to be taking Spiro, and i've tried benzoyl peroxide treatments, (which made things 50X worse) among other things. I've also changed my diet drastically. Then I tried raw organic honey. I use it as a cleanser after my oil free make up remover. I mix it with nutmeg and cinnamon. I'll then leave it on for 5-30 minutes or sleep with the mask on every once in a while or if things are really bad. after i wash off i follow up with a really good oil free moisturizer and that's it. My skin looks significantly better than when I was using any conventional store bought treatment. The spots are healing up very well and much more quickly. I've also heard the honey helps with scars but it's too soon for me to tell. the honey completely healed the peeling and flaking from the bezoyl peroxide, which was a nightmare on top of the nightmare of acne. I'm now going to try Wedderspoon Manuka Honey 16+, and I have confidence this will be even better than what i use now. I feel like since I broke out with severe hormonal acne last month I looked like a meth addict or someone with chicken pox. It was all red and horrible looking, esp when my skin was dry from BP. When i started using my honey regime, my boyfriend commented on how it looked like my skin was improving. initially he probably thought using honey was silly but i'm seeing real results, real fast. it's not a miracle cure, but it's better than anything else i've tried. Tastes and smells nice too.

Skin type : insanely acne prone (with active acne), prone to clogged pores and very oily
Duration of use : more than a year

This is no miracle, but I've long since given up on skincare miracles. I love using a raw honey face mask (I get my raw honey from the farmer's market in the summer. It's fairly cheap and very fresh.) once a week or more. I use generic Retin-A gel but still like the idea of doing a face mask. Clays are usually too harsh and everything else seems to sting and irritate my skin. Raw honey calms my skin and usually calms any breakouts I have.

I don't believe it prevents breakouts or even treats them, but I believe it calms the irritation. I apply about 1 teaspoon of raw honey to a damp face and neck (when I try to apply it to a dry face and neck, it irritates my skin). I leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse it with lukewarm water.

That's it. I don't add anything to it or leave it on for a really long time. I believe that perhaps some irritation that people get it due to their application. As stated above, when I applied it to dry skin, there was too much friction and it causes irritation and also when I would leave it on more than 20 minutes, I noticed irritation.

I apply aloe vera gel after and call it a night. continued >>

on 10/22/2008 12:11:00 PM

I am amazed...... believe me I am a picky customer and it doesn't happen a lot.
I was never very into the kitchen and beauty salon in combination idea, cuz past a few tests didn't impress me at all. Nothing horrible like allergy happened. Just NOTHING happened, good or bad, after I wash the mess off my face. So I decided to just stay with beauty counters.
Not this time with honey. I put it on last night, waited for 30 min, then washed off and finished with my routine. I see my skin tone evened out instantly. All red marks from my periodic breakout lightened. What is even better is, it lasted. When I woke up this morning I see the same --much evener tone. It's definitely not an illusion cuz I ended up using half amount of foundation and almost no need for concealor touch-up afterwards. No other high-end masks have worked this well---Valmont, Chantecaille, etc.

OK let me calm down. After all I've just used it once. I will keep the experiment and update my review.

Edit: It's been 3 weeks and still working! I even replaced my morning cleanser with honey--Spread a bit on, brush my teeth, then wash off. Nothing has worked better. Love it.

Even though I will continue using this it isn't doing wonders for my skin as everyone else raves. My oily, sensitive skin remains cursed with acne. I used raw organic honey and didn't see a difference with regular. I'll use this again just because it's a little bit better than the aspirin mask.

Popular Treatments (Face)