Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.5

on 1/30/2007 3:47:00 AM

I love this cleanser! I started using it when I was on Accutane (my derm recommended it), and have continued since then. It takes off all my makeup (including lots of eye makeup) and leaves my face clean, without feeling dried out. I used much more expensive products before, but adore this one. I think users who feel like it leaves their skin not totally "clean" are just used to more drying products. Also, it's super cheap -- definitely worth trying.

on 1/30/2007 1:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I heard this product was good on people who have acne, so I tried it. I was still getting pimples, the scent of the product is ok.

on 1/29/2007 9:09:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This is my HG product for the face (sorry, overused phrase I know). I can't go without it. for my Retin-A treated, acne-prone but potentially dry skin, I have to use it! If I use ANY other cleanser, I either break out or my skin becomes cracked and dry again. So in a sense I have a sense of relief for the end of the road in cleanser experimentation. This evens out reactive skin like nothing else, and I can't figure out why-- the ingredients list is nothing special. If you're curious, get past the non-stripped feeling-- that's comfortable skin you have after using Cetaphil, and it will remove your makeup very well.

on 1/29/2007 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

A must have, especially in the winter. Doesn't dry out my super sensitive acne/clog prone skin. But cleans all the oil and dirt off my face. Never tried it for makeup removal, I've been using DHC deep cleansing oil as of late for that and its been working amazingly well, before that ponds cold cream which also works well. I can't live without having this in my bathroom for when my skin is on the dry side.

on 1/27/2007 12:50:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

The reason I am giving this product a five, is that it really works and does not dry my skin out. I'm one of those people with a sensitive, triple-dry skin, and I have to be really careful about my skin-care routine.
This cleanser is a find - I read about in Paula Beguon's web site, and had to order it on-line from the U.K, since it's not available in my country... But it's worth every cent!! You Americans are so blessed to have this available at every corner!
It's true it does not remove the make-up very well, but that's because it is so gentle. To take off my m/u, I use extra virgin olive oil in a cotton pad, and it works very well. Then i just wash my face with Cetaphil and splash with tepid water. And I love the gentle sense of cleanliness it gives me. It's amazing that no fancy cosmetic company has come up with a similar version of this or even a remotely close one..

This debate over Cetaphil is SO STUPID!! All dermatologists recommend this simply because it will effectively cleanse your face without stripping skin, disrupting skin's PH or drying it out. If you use any potentially irritating treatments in your skincare routine,(anti-aging creams, anti-acne creams, etc.) or just have very sensitive skin, Cetaphil won't irritate further (like so many cleansers do). That's why it's the gold standard. Think about it, despite the claims of many cleansers, they don't really target skin problems because you wash them down the drain. Save your money for what really counts, the creams and lotions with active ingredients you use that actually stay on your skin! Just ask Paula B! Also, unless you're a freak from another planet, it won't break you out, it's totally non-comedogenic. And for those who say it dries out their skin, try using a moisturizer afterwards! After all, just the act of washing dries out the skin, especially with very hot water. Cetaphil really is a great cleanser because it can do no wrong!! I've used it forever and just love it!!

on 1/26/2007 9:25:00 AM

2 years back my skin had a reaction to something and my derm gave me some of this stuff in a nondescript bottle - after using it I thought I had struck gold - my skin was so soft and smooth! My allergic reaction also went away. When I found out that it was Cetaphil I almost choked! I had used it years back and hated how it was slimy and never seemed to wash off. But this time around, it saved my skin! I use it on dry face and wipe off with damp cotton pad - it removes makeup and dirt better this way I feel. I then rinse off with water. Feels clean and soft. I had to stop using it during my pregnancy because my skin just went crazy. Now that I'm past the pregnancy, I'm starting to use it again. Will update if it causes problems with my Rosacea (which flared up during pregnancy).

on 1/25/2007 12:53:00 PM

Here I go again!! Got a sample of this in the "Beauty Buyble" which I got for Christmas. Every few years I try Cetaphil because every dermatologist interview recommends it. I just don't get it. I have an oily T-zone and am drying out as I get older (especially in Michigan winters!) but this does nothing for me. I don't even understand how someone with dry skin would like it. It feels gross and like you haven't even washed your face!!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My dermatologist recommended this cleanser for rosacea, but I am not the least bit pleased with it. It does not make my face feel clean and it leaves a film on my skin. I wasted my money on this overpriced item.

on 1/22/2007 2:51:00 PM

I really don't know why this cleanser is rated as number one. I hear great reviews, but my friend, my mom, and I all agree that it really doesn't cleanse our faces. I tried the product for a month and was surprised that after I washed my face, I still had makeup on. Afterwards I used my toner, and my cotton swab was filthy. I didn't like the waxy feel it left after I washed my face. I didn't feel like it cleaned my skin at ALL. The only good thing I can say about the product is that it didn't cause me to breakout, so it was gentle, but other than that I really didn't see all the hype. For those of you who love it, more power to ya.