LUSH Fresh Farmacy

3.6

Calamine Powder, Propylene Glycol, Chamomile Decoction (Anthemis nobilis), Elderflower Decoction (Sambucus nigra), Rapeseed Oil; Sunflower Oil; Coconut Oil (Brassica napus; Helianthus annuus; Cocos nucifera), Water (Aqua), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Hydroxide, Lavender Oil (Lavandula augustifolia), Chamomile Blue Oil (Chamomilla recutita), Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia), Rose Absolute (Rosa damascena), Sodium Chloride, *Limonene, *Linalool, Perfume.

on 10/5/2008 8:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I really wasn't expecting anything too incredible when I bought this cleanser, but I am pleasantly surprised. I've had acne since I was ten (hit pubery early) and no cleanser has ever been able to change that. But I do have itchy skin, so I thought a cleanser with calamine powder would be helpful.

I've been using this for two weeks, and today is probably the first day in over a decade that I haven't had a single spot on my face. It's not what I was expecting, but I'm very pleased.

PROS:
-cleared my skin wonderfully
-I like the smell, all of my toiletries have herbal scents

CONS:
-I like the minimalistic packaging, BUT it does make it very difficult to store the cleanser
-melts fast in water. I've been using an old scissor blade to shave off small pieces as I need them, and I don't touch the cleanser bar with wet hands ever
-very drying. I have oily skin, and I still have to use a thick Eucerin moisturizer on my face at night after using Fresh Farmacy. I use a gentler cleanser and moisturizer before applying makeup in the morning.

I can cope with those cons, given how wonderfully this cleanser agrees with my skin. I definitely wouldn't recommend to anyone without oily or very oily skin--the first time I used it, I followed with only a very light moisturizer and my skin peeled and chapped afterwards.

on 10/1/2008 10:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Pros:
It works best as overnight (acne) spot treatment. This works very well in drying out acne and bringing a head to a stubborn, red, swollen pimples (plus, calming down the swelling and redness). I also find this to be very helpful in treating cystic acne, especially if combined with other conventional acne treatment containing Benzoyl Peroxide or Salicylic acid (whereas when I use BP or BHA on its own, it doesn't seem to heal cystic acne as fast than combined with FF).

Cons:
It's a tad drying, unless for oily to very oily skin (I have oily skin, and I feel that I still need a good amount of moisturizer when using FF as a cleanser). It's squeaky clean, and as a result, may dries out.
It's crumbly, it runs out fast, and you have to store it in non textured soap dish (so it won't crumble so much), and leave it to air-dry. Otherwise, you'll finish a good size in less than a month (most of my cleansers last at least 2-3 months).

Even though I've stopped using this a face wash, I always keep this handy for spot treatment. I will keep buying until it stops working.

on 9/24/2008 12:20:00 AM

Love that it gently exfoliates, is very deep cleansing, and the high calamine-powder content has toned down minor redness and irritation, and if I have a bug bite on my leg it is very soothing. Has helped reduce breakouts and intensity in my case. The smell is mild and does not stay on skin.

No packaging other than a piece of paper is always good on my book!

The hubby uses it, and he loves it for his own skin too.

One point off because it is so very cleansing that it can be drying, so moisturizer is crucial for me immediately after cleansing. It is also a bit on the high priced side for cleansers, considering that a lot does go down the drain when you use it. In general, a good product I am satisfied with and will continue to use.

on 9/3/2008 3:11:00 PM

Bad smell. I can tolerate it but i do not like it at all. The herbs on top look disgusting i tried to peel them off.
It cleans my face quite well but i dont use it for removing make up. I wear quite heavy make up so i must use cleansing oil to do the job.
This soap can wash the oil away which is good. But DO NOT rub your face with this soap. I did it once and i nearly ruin my face. I got red patches and my face was totally irritated - it stings lots when i put on toner and night cream. Luckily it was ok in a couple of days.
Wouldnt buy it again i wanna try something that smells nicer.

on 8/29/2008 12:18:00 PM

You know that moment when you realize you never have to experiment with a make-up product ever again because you've found "the one"?

I had that moment with Fresh Farmacy.

I have medium to oily skin that is very sensetive and acne prone. Not just regular acne, that stupid hormonal under-the-skin kind that leaves dark scars on your face for months, even years. I tried EVERYTHING, toners, creams, oil free, with oil to replenish oil, gels, masks, home remedies - and NOTHING.

Then I stumbled into a Macy's thinking this was a soap bakery and to amuse the sales girl I asked if she had any face stuff and she sold me a teeny portion of this. I figured it can't hurt.

Then I was in love.

I literally saw results in two days because all it seemed to do was just calm the hell out of my skin. For years I'd been probing it and aggravating it that I haven't given it a kind touch in years.

True this is a bit drying but nothing that a dollop of moisturizer afterwards can't fix. It removes make up almost fully and has a lovely light smell. It's just a miracle worker you guys, it was for me anyway. I highly recommend it if you do have oily skin, if not, you could try something a little less drying.

This combined with Herbalism cleared up my skin COMPLETELY. I use Herbalism in the morning to exfoliate
and moisturize and Fresh Farmacy at night.

P.S. Lush is my absolute favorite, I've been thrilled with pretty much everything I'd gotten from there.

on 8/22/2008 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love LUSH scents, but that's all that is good about this product. It gave me little whiteheads everywhere and left a sticky waxy substance on my skin which was probably what gave me the whiteheads. I used the rest on my body since it can tolerate the waxiness much better than my face.

on 8/8/2008 7:00:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I just started to experiment with Lush skincare and Fresh Pharmacy was the first product that i tried.
I loved the smell of this soap but after a while this really does dry my skin out (It's summer now and my skin tends to be quite oily although less so now as i get older)
I gave it a second try after a few weeks as i still have half of the bar left and didn't want it to go to waste. The same thing happened, my skin even started to peel a little around my cheek.
It puzzle me that i would get this sort of result when the ingredients all seem so calming and gentle. Too bad.

on 8/7/2008 5:49:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

The best cleanser ever!! I have acne prone skin I even get those big ugly cysts, this soap makes every pimple and every cyst smaller and smaller till they disappear, it also makes the pores look smaller. I ran out of it and im so desperate for more, our nearst lush store is 2 hours driving from where I live so this time I will make sure I buy lots!
If u got oily acne prone skin go get the fresh farmacy its the best cleanser it will kill all your pimpels :)
Many of you here said that it doesnt lather but if you get lots of it in your palms it does lather and when i say lots I mean just as much as you would get with any other regular bar of soap.

on 8/6/2008 5:00:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

*************UPDATE: Unfortunately, this stopped working for me. No longer does anything for my acne at all. I think my skin grew resistant to the calamine. Cleared up my skin beautifully for about 2 months but now just does nothing. I think it may also have to do with inconsistency in different batches of the soap. It's a really different texture every time I get it. I still like LUSH's Herbalism but wouldn't buy any other skincare from them, especially not their face creams - Imperialis broke me out, and strangely all their face creams contain cocoa butter. ***************
I've been using this for a few weeks and it's been very effective on my acne! More than any other cleanser I've ever used - and I have used many, including tons of natural facial cleansers and natural soap bars.

I was not the biggest fan of LUSH before because they are not 100% natural, and this particular soap contains SLS, but I don't care because it works so well!

It has made my combination/dehydrated skin a TINY bit dry, but nothing that light moisturizer won't fix. It is also a bit sloppy to use, as it doesn't foam, it creates more of a paste that is very runny so it's easier to use in the shower, but I still use it at the sink too.

I LOVE the little scrubby bits it has - I think it's lavender flowers or something. They are very fine and make for great exfoliation.

The bar gets a little soft/smooshy after a while so I HIGHLY recommend cutting your big bar into smaller pieces and use one smaller piece at a time to keep the soap fresh longer. (Run a knife under HOT water first, then dry it off, then cut it by pushing the knife through with a downward pushing motion, not a sawing motion. This will keep the bar from breaking/crumbling).

I think what makes this bar work so well is that it has calamine which is very calming for inflammation, along with all of the most effective plants for acne (lavender, tea tree, & chamomile).

ALSO another discovery that has made a huge difference in my acne along with using this soap has been using a MICROFIBER CLOTH with the soap to wash my face. Used gently, this gets all the dead skin off your face and prevents clogged pores in a way just washing with your hands can't.

Microfiber cloth + Fresh Farmacy = clear skin for me, it seems!

I will update in a month or so but I really feel great about this and I think it may finally be my answer to clear skin!

OH and another great tip - this makes an EXCELLENT overnight spot-treatment for zits. While the soap is still wet, get some of it on your finger as a paste and dab it on your problem areas. I really see a difference in the morning.

on 7/17/2008 9:31:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I had a free sample of this sent to me by Lush and I love it!!! It keeps my face so soft and clean. I will be buying this again. Also it is really good to get rid of spots.