Dior Dune EDT

3.6

on 11/9/2010 9:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This smells bad for the first twenty minutes. Then it gets pretty good. I wouldn't buy a bottle as it is definitely masculine. Men's aftershave. And it also is too spicey for my taste. I do get a feel of a beach and ocean. I go to the beach at least twice a week for years and this does smell like sand and driftwood, salt water and sea oats. People probably think the beach has to smell like suntan lotion. This is accurate as far as smelling like an empty, natural dune beach,but it's too strong ( never thought I would find anything I thought was too strong) as far as the spice goes. I detect some wierd spice smell which bothers me. I gave it four stars because it lasts and I love how it gets better as time goes on. It would be a pretty scent on a hot looking guy.

on 9/8/2010 12:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Dune is a light, sunny amber for casual wear. Could work well as a
shared fragrance. There's a patchouli note that comes up much
stronger in the lotion's drydown compared to the EDT.
If you like Dune, try also Andy Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain
and Marc Jacobs Amber.

on 6/4/2010 11:04:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

My first experience with Dune was on a trip to France at age 17. I picked up a dupe of Dune (called Elodie) at Parfumerie Galimard. Although I loved the scent, it somehow didn't seem "right" on me (probably because all my peers were wearing CK One and the like). Years later, I have rediscovered Dune. To me, the scent evokes sun-warmed sand (although that could just be because of the name). Spicy, and I detect a very, very faint hint of mint. Definitely one of a kind and worth checking out of you're sick of fruity florals or vanilla puddings.

on 3/22/2010 8:40:00 AM

My all-time favorite scent...it's a magical, spicy, warm, creamy, hot, beautiful scent...i've been in love with this scent for years. It's a heavy fragrance to inhale at first, so a light hand is warranted. This scent cannot be appreciated without waiting a bit after application, to give it time to meld with your skin and oils and chemistry. I have to admit, on first spritz, it's heavy, and a bit much...as the day goes on, it just morphs into a beautiful, lovely, warm, cozy, rich scent of a woman...every single time i wear this scent, i get compliments...it's just warm and inviting...staying power is phenominal...by the end of the day you still smell absolutely feminine and gorgeous.

on 1/21/2010 6:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

Let me start off by saying that I love Dior fragrances, my favorites being Pure Poison and Hypnotic Poison. Dune on the other hand, slapped me in the face. I detected a cat pee smell! It was strong and matronly. I can't imagine this smelling nice on anyone. The bottle is pretty though.

on 1/21/2010 4:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Breathtaking fragrance. Some have described Dune as cold, bleak, even metallic. The only comment I have on that is that I don't care for it in the winter. It can seem unapproachable & remote in cool weather. It's very dry and it's not sweet so it's perfect on me in summer heat. I receive constant compliments when I wear Dune and it's when it's been sweating on my skin for a couple of hours. I guess that's the salty element which Dior says is 'Oceanic' but in my experience is pure, hot, salty skin. This continues through to it's wonderful complex musky, woodsy drydown that nestles into the curves of your neck and breasts and seems to 'thicken' with the heat. A sensation of clean skin tinged with sexy oil. It's exotic and rather adventurous. It's Rachel Weisz in The Mummy, travelling across the vast hot and dry Egyptian desert in search of the Lost City, a tantalising suggestion of a breeze carries the scent of flowers and a hint of danger across the dunes. A very enigmatic fragrance which will never, ever date.

on 10/11/2009 11:00:00 PM

In one word - spectacular!!! I loved it way back when I was in my impressionable early teens and smelled it on a painfully stylish friend of my mother. Fifteen years later I impulsively caved on my own bottle in hopes of bringing up the memories of glamour, not to mention nostalgia. It still holds its own and does not feel dated or irrelevant today. It's beautifully composed. The salt and "slow" heat are there, which are the main attractions for me as it makes the fragrance rather unique. This is not a shy fragrance and the lasting power is excellent. I like wearing it during the summer with a light touch. It's comforting in the cold, yet never boring. I appreciate the thought behind the bottle design as well. For me it creates more of an atmosphere than a mere scent and for that alone it deserves the highest rating.

Give it a chance.

on 8/22/2009 7:58:00 PM

I used to steal spritzes of this from my roommate as a 21 year old college student and was recently seized by a fit of nostalgia so I bid on a bottle on evilbay. I hadn't smelled it in years and was so curious as to what impression it would make on me today, 13 plus years later. I wasn't sure what to expect, since my 21 year old self was hugely into aquatics (Acqua di Gio (still love) and Escape (urgh) were my faves) and my perfume tastes have changed markedly since then.

Oh, how impressed I am with my 21 year old self! Even way back then, when my perfumista tendencies were in their infancy, I understood greatness! ;-) I'll have to repeat what others before me have said: Dune is the quintessential dry, sandalwoody oriental that evokes images of a hot, tropical summer day (with absolutely no sunscreen accord). An amazing 'fume that would suit any age group, IMHO. I hope to always have this as part of my scent rotation.

on 8/13/2009 10:16:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I can’t believe Dune’s been around for 18 years & I just only recently tried it. I really feel like kicking myself! I love oriental vanillas/ambers in general, so this perfume is a no-brainer, really… though it puzzles me why Dior would tout this one as a ‘Floral Oceanic’ fragrance (whatever THAT means). The intro for Dune on the company’s website goes like this: "An oceanic fragrance, created in harmony with nature, this radiant, fresh and subtle accord captures the landscape where the sky meets the sea in a warm, oceanic floral bouquet. Enveloping, serene and sensual." Hmmm... Fresh? Yes. Warm? Definitely. Radiant? Serene? Sensual? Check, check & check. Oceanic? Uh... NO. Well, I don’t know about the other reviewers, but I definitely don’t get mental images of the ocean or the beach from this... there is no salty/marine note that I can detect here whatsoever to enable me to make such associations. What I DO get are a HEAVENLY mix of amber, vanilla, dried fruit (?) & spices galore... & suddenly I’m transported to a bustling souk in Marrakesh with its colorful sights, heady mix of aromas & hypnotic Arabic music playing in the background. Make no mistake, Dune is an ORIENTAL through & through.

Like the other Dior EDTs, Dune is also no exception when it comes to staying power -- as can be expected, of course, from a very well-made fragrance composed of the highest quality ingredients (the same of which cannot be said about the many haphazardly put together, watered-down, synthetic celeb/designer fragrances flooding the market today). As for the rather unique-shaped bottle, though definitely not ugly, is certainly nothing to ‘ooh’ & ‘ahh’ over either (especially when compared to the gorgeous, uber feminine packaging of J’Adore & Miss Dior Cherie). Anyhow, it doesn’t bother me as it’s the juice inside that counts. And what a truly lovely, elegant & timeless concoction this modern classic is... hands down one of Dior’s best to date.

on 8/2/2009 6:55:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is the first perfume I liked as a kid. It smelled so beautiful to me back then but I'm no longer crazy abouth this one. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone under 60. I don't hate this but it smells dated and generic to me now. Could definitely be worse though. Ugly bottle too.

Popular Fragrances