NARS Mekong

on 11/29/2010 11:00:00 PM

This is a dark expresso with subtle gold shimmer.It's beautiful!

When applied dry, it comes out a matte dark brown-black (especially if you blend or swipe), perfect for smokey brown eyes. If you want it distinctly brown or use it as a crease colour you must use very little and Blend! It's perfect as a liner dry or wet (wet shows the gold shimmer more). I just love how versatile this eyeshadow is.

Pigmentation is through the roof, use a little and tap off excess. From the negative reviews, people have just been disappointed by the colour because they had a different expectations - this is dark. I would buy this again but I don't think I'll ever run out!

on 10/5/2010 6:27:00 PM

I really wanted to love this shadow because the color is just stunning, especially when used to create a smokey eye. But, this is honestly one of the worst shadows I have ever used. It applies unevenly, is hard to blend & fades within a couple hours of application. I even tried it with different primers thinking that maybe that was the problem. But, it's the shadow formula is what's the problem. For $23 I expect a really high quality product that will last all day. And this just didn't cut it. I also tried Night Clubbing from this line & it's just as bad. Back to Sephora these go.

on 9/8/2010 1:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have never been a fan of any black eyeshadows, so I always buy dark browns as far as crease and outter v colors go. I'd say this color is an extreme dark brown espresso with gold glitters. For me this was too dark though, it almost seemed black. And that is not what I wanted. I ended up swapping mine since I knew it would get no love. So no I would not repurchase. But, like all Nars products, this is very pigmented and a little goes a long way. Easy to blend however it is a tad chalky and the gold glitters do not transfer to the eye(which is fine with me). I still love Nars, just not this color

on 6/2/2010 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

This is an super duper dark ESPRESSO laced with a touch of gold. If I want an uber dark brown smokey look, this is the way to go!!!! It's also great for me when I don't want to use Carbon to intensify a look. It gives just enough. I know it's gonna last me a long long time. (MAC NC42/43 for reference).

on 3/19/2010 8:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It's not black, but it is a rich coffee shade. That's why it's described as an espresso infused with gold. The undertone is a slight glitter that is microfine. It appears as a semi matte on the lid. The pigment will stain your finger, and you have to be sure where to place it on your eye lid. Where it goes, it stays. Not all NARS shadows are worth the money. I love the brand, but all brands are like that. There are gems in the line though, and this is one. You just have to tap your brush on it to lift the color. It's really easy to use too much or get a lot on your brush. Even though it's a hard packed shadow, the pigment is intense. These are double the amount of MAC. For $9 more than the price of MAC too. If this shadow doesn't last for you, then no other eyeshadow will.

on 3/2/2010 5:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I own several NARS single eye shadows and love them all but this one is fantastic. It is a really dark brown with a great adult shimmer...no glitter. It makes a fantastic eyeliner and really rocks out a smokey eye. I will definitely repurchase.

on 3/1/2010 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I couldn't be more impressed with this blackened brown eyeshadow with adult (NOT teenybopper) glitter that blends easily and beautifully. This is my first single NARS eyeshadow, and it's the best "outer v" eye color I've ever had. It makes for a gorgeous smoky brown eye. In the store, I used Galapagos on the lid, Abyssinia as a highlight and Mekong on the outer v, and it was the best eye look ever. (Noe I just have to save up for Galapagos and Abyssinia--that's the one drawback. SUPER-pricey shadows.) I even have brown eyes and it worked to make them look beautiful. I think that's a statement to its quality and versatility. Also, I can use it alone and blend it WAY out for a lighter color to cover the lower lid. Long-wearing, too. I am SUCH a NARS believer now!

on 3/1/2010 10:05:00 AM

I actually really like this! I did buy this with the intention of getting on off-black shadow, versus a dark brown, so I was not disapointed over how dark it is. True black like Nyx Black or MAC Carbon can look a bit too hard and edgy, and Mekong is a softer alternative. It actually reminds me of MAC Smut, which is like a muted black-gray with the slightest hint of burgundy and purple, Mekong would be a black-brown with the subletest hint of greenish bronze. It's a bit more intense than Smut though, so I use a light hand. Great for smudge on the lash line when you don't want to bother with pencils, creams, or gels.

on 2/21/2010 12:51:00 AM

Comes out more Black to me.

on 2/19/2010 9:13:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I love this color!! So easy to blend, has some fall out, but very beautiful. NARS eyeshadows are so creamy and smooth..I love them!

Top Rated NARS Products