John Frieda Frizz-Ease Hair Serum

3.1

on 10/28/2012 3:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I used this as my first serum way back when. At the time I thought it was great because I didn't have access to as many products and this was about the only thing I thought would help tame frizz (we're going back like, 14 years or so). It's quite heavy, and though I know you are only supposed to use a little of any serum, it was just a little too much without really taming frizz like I hoped. If I remember correctly it's also stickier than the other ones I've used (Biosilk and Paul Mitchell Super Skinny) Also the bottle design is quite cute, but it's broken on me more than once. And a dropper for serum? It's just not practical. I would just run my fingers on the dropper shaft, not actually squeeze it in my hands.

on 9/12/2012 4:32:00 PM

I read about this as a teenager in my UK import teen mags back when it first came out, but was not able to buy it in my country. So I never ended up trying it even when it finally arrived to the chemists in my city. Fast forward to today. I grabbed two mini bottles a week ago while shopping. They were on sale next to the cashier, so I thought why not, let's try this. And today I bought a large bottle (although of the Extra Strength Formula version since they were out of the original). I love it.

My hair is thick, there is lots of it, it bends in odd waves and has been chemically treated too many times so it's pretty dry, frizzy and generally not in good shape without careful treatment. Now that it's about 5cm below my ears the frizz and waves are particularly annoying and it takes a lot of work to either bring out the waves nicely or iron it smooth and straight. I've used all sorts of creams, sprays, oils, serums and stuff to try to find the best way to get it stay nice. I think I've found a must-have serum in this one finally. I've not yet used it as recommended, just on towel-dried and/or blow-dried/ironed hair, but those methods have gotten pretty good results as well. My hair is smooth, not too heavy but remains airy (unlike with many creams), shiny and just looks very good! I'm very happy that I finally tried Frizz Ease and would recommend this to others with similar hair. This product appears to divide opinions. It might work for you or perhaps you are unlucky. But if it does work for your hair I'm pretty confident you'll not regret trying.

on 8/26/2012 12:36:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This has been a staple in my arsenal for years. I try out lots of products on my hair, and this serum tends to be my go-to. It can get greasy if you use too much, though, and I don't use this when I know that I'll be blow drying my curly hair straight (too heavy). The serum alone doesn't calm the frizz 100% but once I add anything on top of it (gel, curl cream, whatever) it gets pretty close. I once used this in conjunction with Rusk's deep oil treatment and ended up with awesome mermaid curls- I don't know exactly what I did to get those results so I've been experimenting with both products ever since...

on 8/12/2012 7:01:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

I have thick curly mid length n extremely frizzy hair which is semi-dry in texture but have lot of undefined curls. I apply this in 2-3 min t-shirt dried hair (I dont use towel on wet hair as it worsens the frizz). I only use 2 pea size amount on my entire hair and continiue with rest of the hair routine. I leave it to air dry and donot touch my hair unless fully dry. It works wonders for my extremely frizzy hair. Will definetely buy it

on 8/2/2012 11:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I bought this serum as a pre-teenager when it was new and everyone was raving about it (and it came in a glass bottle with a glass dropper). My thick, coarse, long hair curled at puberty and it didnít know what to do with it. Since no one in my family has curly hair, I had zero guidance when it came to my hair (both of my sisters have thick, long, slightly wavy hair and my mother has fine, thin, short, straight hair). Needless to say I wasnít doing anything right for my curls and that included using this serum wrong. It was more than ten years before I bought it again and now I love it (I have also since learned what to do with curly hair thanks to my patient stylist). I repurchased this about six months ago on a whim (and it was on sale), since Iíve liked so many other John Frieda products. I was glad to find that this now comes in a plastic pump bottle. At first I thought applying this to wet hair was silly and wouldnít make a difference, so I tested it out using it the ďregular wayĒ of using serums: to towel squeezed hair. It was nothing special. Then I decided to really followed the directions: immediately after rinsing out conditioner, I apply three pumps (two if Iíve just had my hair cut) to my soaking wet, dripping wet hair, focusing applying from the ears down and staying away from the scalp. I smooth it though, using my fingers to rake it, but being careful not to remove too much water. Once itís spread to my satisfaction, I gently wring out my hair with my hands leaving my hair still very wet. I do throw my hair up in a towel so I can address skincare and such, but I try to get to my hair while it is still very damp. Then I spread two-three pumps of Davines Oi/Oil through my hair, then scrunch Bumble and Bumble Curl Conscience Defining CrŤme throughout and let air dry. This is the best combination for my hair and I love the soft, shiny results. Itís this serum that really handles the frizz, while the Davines Oi/Oil gives the shine and Bumble and Bumble Cream give the curls definition. While Iím rarely faithful to hair products, especially curl creams, for long, I think Iíll stay with this routine for a while and Iíll be buying this serum again.

on 6/25/2012 11:31:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I have long, thick, course hair. This serum works best after i blow out my hair & apply to ends. I don't apply on scalp or top of my hair cuz it will make my hair too oily. Overall a good serum, good price.

on 6/21/2012 7:18:00 PM

This product is very pricey and is overall good but is not worth the price. I would not buy this product again. Very disappointing.

on 6/10/2012 10:25:00 AM

I put that it's kind of expensive because for what it is (silicone), I do think it's pretty expensive, but it's still a good product. Not better than other silicone serums, but good.

I use it to blow out my curly hair and works well.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I didn't find this did an awful lot in terms of taming my frizzies. It's way too late to tame my curly hair, though I can see it working well for fine hair. Doesn't work for me - wouldn't repurchase.

on 4/27/2012 10:02:00 AM

I love John Frieda products, but this one was a major dissapointment. I used this a while back, but I still remember that this did absoloutley NOTHING to my hair, to help with frizz. I have very thick hair, & my hair takes forever to get oily/greasy....& this serum managed to somehow make my hair greasy within minutes. & no, I did not put too much in my hair. I definitely do not reccommend this to people with fine hair, as I can imagine what it would do to that hair type. It was basically like dumping a bottle of grease on my hair. This left my hair frizzy & greasy. I actually think this made my hair frizzier than it was to begin with. I don't know how that's possible, but this definitely made it possible. Overall, I do not reccommend this product at all. It does not work. I'm surprised this hasn't been discontinued by now. If you really want something to take away frizz, the John Frieda brilliant brunette glosser (works for blondes too), is much better for taking away frizz, & leaving a beautiful shine...without the greasiness. Also, Paul Mitchell skinny serum, Chi silk infusion, Bed Head's After Party, & Macadamia Natural Oil are really good de-frizzers. Don't waste your money on this one.