Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Expert Face Brush

4.6

on 5/28/2013 10:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

So I must admit I only bought this brush because I had money to blow and wanted to try something else than the blush brush which I originally only intended to buy. The price for this brush was fair, like all the other real techniques brushes you get a lot for a small amount of money. I think I paid 8 - 9 dollars on iherb.com, which is till this date the cheapest place to buy it according to my research... next to ulta (?) (not promoting the website or anything - just stating a fact).

Now on to the brush itself - its handle is perfect in size and is in a nice bronzy orange colour. The ferule is kinda long, which is perfect if you like me is terrified of ruining the brush by getting water in there during cleansing and washing. Even if it is a cheap brush, it still sucks to ruin it. Because it does perform really, really well.

The brush itself is shaped in a way that makes you think of contouring and bronzing. It's dense and compact, not too small and not too big, and is designed to fit right into the hollow beneath your cheekbones. It's bristles are soft and in high quality tiklon similar to those from ecotools, which makes sense seeing as they are made by the same company. I guess real techniques only have more thought behind their design? I have washed it multiple times without bleeding, so I'm very impressed by the value of this product.

I use it to buff finishing powder onto my skin and contouring beneath the cheekbones. I could use it for foundation too as it does leave an air brushed effect behind, but the bristles suck up product like a sponge, which would cost me a lot of money in the long run. Would recommend it for creme or powder, and if you use liquid, moisten the bristles first. Put water in a clean spray bottle and spray the water lightly on top of the bristles from distance - this will keep it from slurping up all of your expensive foundation.

on 5/24/2013 1:40:00 PM

LOVE THIS BRUSH! The price is out of this world for what you get! I bought this from the RT site, and I think I only paid 8 or 9 dollars?! Either way, the brush has high high high quality, and I suggest buying this! It buffs foundation so well! I actually plan on buying more RT brushes. PS: I love watching Pixiwoo on YT, and that's how I found out about RT brushes! I also adore the way the handle is on this brush. It's an amazing brush! So soft!

on 5/17/2013 5:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I received this brush in a swap and love it as much as my other RT brushes. I use it mostly for blending--foundation in those spots where it tends to collect, cream blush--especially at the edges, concealer. It works great for all, cleans up easily, keeps its shape, it's super soft and comfortable on the skin, and it's cheap! Can't beat that combo. I won't be without this brush.

on 5/16/2013 11:34:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I was trying to find something more economical than the Beautyblender to use for my foundation and heard a lot of good things about this brush. I was able to order it ridiculously cheap from iHerb using one of those new shopper codes for $5 off.

It's ... okay? It seems like a well built brush, although I don't fid it very attractive. Looks like it would last a good long while. The design eliminates concerns like moisture damage to a wood handle or ferrule loosening. I don't know that it's as soft as everyone says. It feels pretty much like a regular synthetic brush, in fact, I find Ecotools to be significantly softer-feeling (but the again most of them are a lot more floppy). I actually felt some discernable prickles on my face whe I used it to buff my foundation, and it left several very small black shed or broken-off hairs on my face the first time I used it.

It does a nice job of applying foundation, or rather of finishing foundation, since to get light coverage I fid it best to spread on the foundation with my fingers and then use the brush to even it out. My main concern with it is that my all-physical facial sunscreen is very important to me, and I can't help worrying that rubbing and twirling my fingers + a brush over it is going to compromise it. I ended up much preferring the BeautyBlender, because the bouncig motion I use with that leaves my sunscreen (ad my occasional flaky patches) completely undisturbed.

Maybe I would use it again for evening makeup without any sunscreen? I dunno. I'm going to experiment with using it as a blush or contouring brush. (UPDATE: I quite like using this for blush. I have a duofiber brush for pigmented blushes and usually for sheer blushes I use my Hakuhodo blush brush; but if I have my heavier sunscreen on, which tends to transfer to brushes and leave residue, I use the Real Techniques brush. It's roughly similar in shape, size and density (maybe not so much density but not too far off) so I can use it the same way, and I don't need to freak out about washing it too frequently.

on 5/16/2013 7:53:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Have a few of these too. I use it to apply my cream, gel and liquid foundations. Also great to apply cream/gel contour or highliters. If you spritz the head with water, you can also use it to apply your powder foundations perfectly.

Blends with the very best.

I am starting to hate all of my real animal hair brushes because of these. No smell, no shedding, always just right.

Buy without fear.

I wanted a 5 lippie on this review, but for some reason, I can only give it 4. What's up?

on 5/16/2013 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

One of the best liquid foundation brushes i've purchased. its soft and i've washed it multiple time so far and it is still in perfect condition. perfect size the only thing i dont like is the tip of the handel... its too fat it makes it hard to store in my makeup organizer. but none the less its an amazing brush.

on 5/14/2013 5:26:00 AM

Absolute perfection. Love the brush for buffing foundation into the skin. Easy to wash and gets dry quickly. The bristles are the perfect balance between softness and stiffness for the buffing motion. I haven't used it for other purposes other than with liquid foundation. But it seems like a really versatile brush, so it's really great to take with you when travelling.

This brush is almost exceeds my holy grail shiseido foundation brush. It is easier to clean and dry, while the shiseido one is too dense to be cleaned thoroughly sometimes. I spot clean it everyday by rubbing it on a cotton pad soaked with rubbing alcohol. This method gets the foundation off the bristles easily (you can tell because the tip of the bristles is white). It's also a lot more inexpensive and spread the foundation more quickly than the shiseido brush.

My only complain is that I wish the handle was a little shorter. I'm pretty near-sighted. I often go quite close to the mirrior when I apply my makeup and sometimes the handle hits the mirrior when I'm too close. This doesn't happen with my shiseido brush, because it's got a much shorter handle. Other than this minor complain, this brush is just perfection to me. I don't live in the US or Europe, so it was a little bit of a hassle to get it from online. But I'm so happy that I got it and I would highly recommend it to everyone.

on 5/13/2013 12:04:00 AM

If anyones looking for a great cream blender or a brush to go with soleil tan de chanel... THIS IS THE ONE! i use this to blend out my underye concealer contour triangle thing, the kim k way, but not directly under my eye as i dont want to tug i use a MAC 217 for that, and as said, goes great with the cream bronzer by chanel! worth a buy

on 5/10/2013 5:30:00 PM

I have bought one for each of my teen daughters and told them to blend blend blend on the jawline. I don't ever want to see another visible foundation line again. It almost makes me want to go Joan Crawford wire hangers on them. I know they are sleepy in the morning but BLEND it in please! With that said it is an EXCELLENT brush. Everyone should own one. I bought them at ULTA with a coupon for $3.50 off of $10.

on 5/7/2013 10:03:00 AM

I watched someone use this on you tube against another chapman real techniques brush and you could tell it was the better one as she did half face with one and half with this ne.This one looked more flawless.
So I bought it and im quite impressed with it.I don't use it with powders just liquid foundation and it gives good results so im happy with it and glad I bought it rather than using my stippling one.

Top Rated Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Products