Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.5

on 7/27/2007 5:29:00 AM

Just started using it about 3 days ago. I have normal/occasionally dry skin, and wear foundation every day, at least when Im going out.
I find this just feels good to use! It scentless, and a strange jelly texture... it almost feels like a second skin. I admit that it's not too good at removing foundation, however if you apply it to DRY skin and then rub well, remove it with cottonwool, it seems to take off a lot more, and then simply repeat on wet skin, and this seems to solve the problem.
There is NONE of that tightness that comes from most cleansers, in fact, you feel as if youve just applied moisturiser. I really really like it.
Oh! and on a side note, there's none of the redness that comes from cleansing with harsher cleansers... it doesnt irritate at all!
Lovely stuff : ) Especially in combination with the cetaphil moisturiser.

on 7/27/2007 1:11:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

why i love this product:

1) fragrant-free and color-free so it's good for my sensitive skin.
2) my face doesn't feel tight and dry after washing my face with it, and yet it removes oil on my face. So i know that it's great for my skin in the long term.
3) contains few chemicals, very basic cleanser good for everyday use
4) i don't wear makeup on a daily basis unless it's special occasion, so i don't need extra strong cleanser that removes makeup. For me, it's a very good everday cleanser for morning and night.

Just some info about my skin: it's acne-prone, oily and sensitive skin type.
While this cleanser doesn't really help with my acne, it doesn't make it worse either, but it helps my skin health for sure. My acne isn't due to the type of cleansers i use and i know i can't cure my acne with a cleanser b/c it's hormonal, so i use this product and it's going to be a staple item forever and ever since it's a very basic product that does nothing but cleans my surface oil on my face.

on 7/26/2007 11:48:00 PM

Big fan. Cheap, easy to use, big bottle that lasts for YONKS! I use it every day and its great on my combo skin, not full of horrid chemicals or ingredients and helps to balance my skin. I find it great since wasting time and money on all these apparent "skin problem fighting" kinda face washes which have never done anything for me. Next try is the Ceraphil for Oily Skin see how that goes!!

on 7/26/2007 6:39:00 PM

I used this product for years then decided I should try other cleansers. Now I am back using Cetaphil. I have combination skin and find that this works well for me and minimizes breakouts without irritating my skin.

on 7/26/2007 6:20:00 PM

I suffered from cystic acne from the ages of 18-22 and I was paranoid that anything 'gentle' would cause my skin to break out. I used to joke that I could use methylated spirits on my face as it was an oil rig and nothing could dry it out. I used Proactiv for a short period which was good but expensive, plus it bleached my towels so I figured it couldn't be that good for my skin.
Then I started to go for the expensive elite brands, still under the belief that if it's expensive if it has to good. But when I broke out in eczema around my nose and mouth due to stress, I started using Cetaphil. I've been using it for around 2 months and I am so impressed!
Okay, so the texture took a while to get used to, but it cleanses like no other. So gentle, removes all makeup and has really changed the look and feel of my skin. I feel more confident about my skin that I now wear tinted moisturiser rather than heavy foundation every day. So my skin benefits in that respect too.
I still get the occasional pimple (at that time of the month) but it's manageable. I should've listened to my mum when she said that as I get older my skin would start drying out, because it is true.

on 7/25/2007 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I have oily, acne-prone skin, and I was not happy with this product. It seemed to make me break-out even more, and it was very drying on my skin.

on 7/25/2007 4:34:00 PM

Ok, so after reading so much about this famed product, I decided to try it myself. It has a weird kind of mucous-y texture...and i really didn't think that it cleaned my face well at all. Forget the hype. I was not impressed. Although, I guess I can see the benefits if you have ultra sensituve skin....not a WOW product for me at all.

on 7/25/2007 9:28:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I used to have the worst acne in the world, which is now gone thanks to Accutane. My dermatologist had been recommending Cetaphil for as long as I've been treated by her, and I would always put up an argument because I, likewise to many of you here, didn't like the greasy texture and felt like I could never really "clean" my skin with it. While on Accutane my skin became so dry and unmanageable and nothing would work for it. I gave Cetaphil like my fifth try, and stayed with it longer than a couple days. My skin did calm down a bit, but it was already near the end of my treatment. When I got off Accutane my skin stayed "dry" for the first couple months following, and I continued to use Cetaphil cleanser and lotion. I actually started to *like* the feel of it on my skin. Now, over a year later, my skin has been back to it's super oily self for a while, but the acne never came back, which I attribute in part to using Cetaphil primarily and other products very sparingly. I use it at night only. It will take off makeup, but you have to rub it in well and rinse well. I agree with another reviewer's suggestion here of using an eye makeup remover first because it really will take it off easier. Some nights, after I rinse the Cetaphil cleanser off, I apply a little more to my face while its still damp and use a dry washcloth to rub it off. I find it exfoliates better than any scrub. I don't put anything on my skin usually overnight. In the morning I just rinse my face with water in the shower, and after I'm out smooth over a little of Cetaphil lotion, which makes makeup go on nicely. The hardest thing for me to get used to with my super oily skin, is getting comfortable with it not being "squeaky clean and dry." Once I stopped fighting with my skin, it calmed down and I found its OK to have oil on your skin. Having oily skin alone will not break you out. Product overload trying to dry out then rehydrate your skin will though. My suggestion would be if you have acne, to get treatment for it from a dermatologist and listen to her when she tells you to give Cetaphil a try. It takes a while for that "must dry-out my oily-skin" mindset to change, but if your skin is already bad, you really don't have anything to lose, and it might be worth the try.

on 7/24/2007 11:29:00 PM

I originally bought this for my body, because I had eczema on my legs. It worked, and my condition improved.

After reading the reviews on MUA, I decided to try it for my face as well. The eczema on my lips is always soothed after cleansing with Cetaphil, and I was pleasantly surprised.

It IS ineffective for removing heavy makeup. As one other reviewer said, if you use heavy makeup, especially foundation, then it'd be a good idea to use a proper MU remover before using cetaphil to clean away the remainder, and that's what I do.

I use Cetaphil after removing my makeup with Shu Uemura cleansing oil. And I like the results, because it is gentle but ensures that there is no residual left on my face. Moreover, I have mildly sensitive skin, so I don't want to use too strong a cleanser after removing my makeup.

on 7/24/2007 6:18:00 PM

The only cleanser I use. Everything else is too drying and that is never good. If people claim it doesn't cleanse correctly and keep getting breakouts, it isn't because your face is dirty. It's either an over abundance of oil or an actual acne infection. This can help with that if your acne is caused by irritation due to other products, but it will be of no use to those who have hormonal acne etc. Acne needs to be treated with medication and topicals. I've been on an acne regimine for years and have been completely clear due to consistent use and cleansing with nothing but gentle cetaphil.

Video Reviews & Tutorials