Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

4.4

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

I read on a review that this could be used as a "personal" lubricant. I've never really found a lubricant that I like, and after recently going thru surgical menopause...a lubricant was a necessity! So, I had a big old bottle of this in my fridge from when I was on a health kick. I decided to give it a try and low and behold it WORKS GREAT! It doesn't get sticky or tacky..it lasts FOREVER. Its slippery and moisturizing. Its natural. What else could u possibly want?? Oh yeah it smells and tastes good UNlike most lubricants on the market. Definately a great tip from MUA!!

I have very sensitive, breakout-prone skin. I now have only mild acne, but it tends to be more of the cystic variety.

Anywho, I gave this a go as my cleanser for a month. I used this pretty much exclusively, applying it heavily, leaving it on for a minute, and then rubbing it off with a towel (I think that part is critical as it will assist with the cleansing process, and maybe slightly exfoliate as well). Sometimes I would remove with a gentle soap or with an exfoliating scrub (Bindi cleanser).

The smell is unbelievable. Simply amazing.

It is also very cheap. My skin hasn't really changed since I started using the extra virgin coconut oil about a month ago. (Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.) Most ppl should give this a go as either a pre-cleanser/make-up remover, or a good standalone cleanser if you're not that acne-prone.

Also, as an FYI to anyone scared to use an oil cleanse because they don't want to end up greasy/slimy, once you blot/wipe with a towel, ur face is not greasy at all.

on 11/2/2009 8:37:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I first heard about coconut oil on youtube. After reading all the info I could find - I got a tub at walmart for $10 and made sure it was the organice extra virgin coconut oil. THIS STUFF IS AMAZING! I have combination skin - t zone. Dry on my forehead and cheeks, and prone to breakouts especially around my chin and eyebrows. I started using this to remove my eye makeup and eventually moved to using it to remove all my makeup. I am happy to report I am breakout FREE and my eyelashes are longer and seem more full. I have less dryness on my cheeks and forehead. I've started running this through my hair now as well. My hair is reacting very well to this - I usually put it in right before bed and wash it out in the shower the next morning. I am sooooo happy I found this stuff!

on 10/13/2009 6:08:00 PM

After moving from the prairies to the coast, my skin started to react negatively. I started experiencing breakouts and dryness and decided that I needed to change up my skin care routine. After reading many great reviews about coconut oil, I went out and bought a big tub.
I wanted this to work so badly. I tried it first as a night moisturizer, but it gave me a lot of clogged pores and blackheads along my jaw where I don't usually break out. Then I decided to try using it with the OCM; at first it was working really well, but over time it clogged my pores, especially on my forehead. So I finally gave up. If it works for you, great. But I am done experimenting with oil on my face. It does smell amazing, though...
EDIT: I found out that those bumps are called milia; basically the coconut oil was clogging my pores so bad that my skin's natural exfoliation process wasn't able to keep my skin clear. After almost two months of tretinoin, those bumps are 99% gone!

on 9/29/2009 4:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I am Loving EVCO! It works as the BEST eye makeup remover I have ever used. So gentle yet effective and 100% natural. I love it as a facial moisturizer, but not all the time.
It is also fabulous as a body moisturizer and as a hair conditioner.It is supposed to be one of the few oils that can penetrate the hair shaft which is why it is so good for pre shampoo hair oiling. Coconut oil can also be used as a personal lubricant that is chemical free.( Don't use with latex i don't think)
Because coconut oil has natural antiviral qualities it is a safe bet to use anywhere on your body. LOVE IT

on 9/26/2009 10:27:00 AM

oh ladies... i'm so disappointed with this! after reading and re-reading review and doing way too many searches on the inet, i determined in my heart that i may finally have found a solution to my hormonal chin breakouts that i am way too old for (37)!! so i went out and paid 12 bucks for a jar of cold-pressed, organic virgin coconut oil. started using it after a couple of awful cystic breakouts. made things far worse. having tried various facial product, i knew that my skins reacts to anything new in a rejection manner and i'd have to live it out for a few weeks until things adjusted. well after 3 or so weeks i could no longer handle going out in public with 3 layers of foundation and feeling like a 13yr old again. so i came back and read the review again. by that time there was someone who posted that she made the mistake of buying virgin instead of extra virgin and that was a bad idea. so i figured that was my problem! went out next day and purchased the extra virgin variety. i would cleanse with my regular cleanser (oxy) and then gently rub a small pea-size amount of oil on my face as a moisturizer. the rest of my face loves it... ecxema gone around nostrils, wrinkles seriously diminishing around eyes. but... chin is going crazy! so i then read about the oil cleansing method and also read an article that said a huge percentage of acne breakouts are cause from "over-cleansing and harsh acne facial cleanser". so i figured that was the problem. stopped using the oxy and used the coconut oil as a cleanser (with the steamy washcloth method). i hoped that by wiping most of the oil off with the hot cloth, there would be less to clog my pores and things would go better. well it's been 2 1/2 weeks of that and i have the largest cysts under my skin now. they look like big lumps or growths on my chin/jaw. it's painful and embarrassing and i've given up on the coconut oil thing. what's really funny is that i don't have hugely oily skin or lots of acne... just hormonal breakouts on the chin area. i don't understand why so many people have great results with this natural product and my skin hates it! i really wanted to have clear, smooth skin!!
so i'm now moving on to the neutrogena acne wash in hopes that i'll get my chin back to the occasional small pimple and blackheads that i once hated and now long for! likely it will dry the heck out of the rest of my face but i'd rather deal with scaley than massive pussy cysts.
am going to try eating a tsp of the coconut oil/day (seeing as i already have it) and maybe that will keep my skin from drying too much.

any advise regarding better usage of the coconut oil would be helpful! if you've experienced negative effects and then figured out how to make it work for you i'd love to hear your methods!!

on 9/24/2009 9:00:00 AM

Its a fantastic product. Great body moisturiser, amazing as an eye moisturiser. Takes off make-up.

Excellent used overnight as a hair mask and can be used as a leave in conditioner just on the ends.

My hair is that frizzy celtic fine stuff and commercial conditioners do nothing for it though probably some of the really expensive ones like Kerestase would work. Still for a cheap leave in conditioner this cannot be beat. Leaves my straw like hair incredibly soft. Also gives a little more shine.

One more thing to add. This can be used as a leave in hair conditioner but it doesn't work if you use shampoo or conditioners with ingredients like cones and laurel sulfate that coats the hair as the coconut oil just sits on top and looks greasy. As long as you use all natural shampoo and not much of it the coconut oil works great!

on 8/20/2009 9:55:00 PM

I have combination skin that has been leaning towards dry lately (not enough or wrong moisturizer?). I also have a lot of sun damage and problems with texture and clarity. I decided to try coconut oil after reading reviews on MA, and I'm glad I did! I bought the cold-pressed extra virgin kind in the skincare aisle (grocery store). It sinks into my skin and makes it look much more calm and smooth. It has natural fats/lipids and smells great! I love it! I will update if anything changes or it causes breakouts.

on 8/16/2009 10:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

this is literally the BEST muti-functional product. It helps evens skin, moisturize, clears my acne, co-wash my hair, and mositurize my hair. I absoultely LOVE this stuff and its not expensive for all the stuff it does. I use nature's way EVCO for $8.99 and it last over 3 months. Now, I hearing that it whitens teeth and helps with weight loss..truly a miracle product!!

on 8/11/2009 5:39:00 AM

After reading all the rave reviews, I got my hands on a jar of Virgin Coconut Oil, as I'm currently trying to tame a pretty nasty hormonal breakout around my chin. I cleansed my face with Ponds Cold cream and used my Apple Cider Vinegar & Rosewater toner, then massaged the Coconut OIl on my face. I used a bit too much so ended up massaging my face for 5 minutes then dabbed off the excess with a tissue. This morning my face feels SO soft. A very painful under the skin spot came to the surface in the form of a small red blemish (instead of an angry whitehead) and my other spots seem a lot smaller. My skin felt so amazing I mixed a tiny amount of oil with my moisturiser and applied it again. So far I absolutely love what it's done to my skin overnight. I will update in a few weeks after I can see what happens after prolonged use!

I also spread some coconut oil on toast instead of butter - it tastes lush!

Let's hope this become HG for me as it seems like an amazing multi-purpose product!