Castor Oil

4.4

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 6/23/2010 12:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I've known about this product and its miraculous results long before I tried it but I never had a reason to use it until lately: my stylist cut my hair shorter than I would have liked it and so I wanted it to grow faster.

I use it once-twice a week by applying it on my scalp, massaging it in and letting it sit for at least half an hour before I shampoo my hair. You'll have to be careful when washing it off, you'll have to shampoo more thorougly than usual and rinse with warm water abundently, or else it's going to stick to your hair and make it look greasy.
The first result I saw was that my hair did not fall out any longer. This is not a problem for me, just because I have strong and dense hair, but I imagine that it would be of great help for people who have thin, brittle hair that falls out. After about a month I noticed that my hair was certainly much longer, it must have grown about 3cm, and the hair is supposed to grow an average of 1cm per month.

I am currently using it on my hair, as well as on my lashes and my brows and I would definitely repurchase because it's a natural and cheap means of making your hair look fab!

EDIT: After thoroughly using it for months, I have noticed my lashes being longer, more dense and not falling out as much, which for me is a problem because of the constant use of false lashes.
Also I feel like it makes my eyebrows stay in shape after I've put it on at night.

So far the only con I have on castor oil is that when I first started using it on my eye area, it left my skin a little irritated and caused puffyness. I try to be as careful as possible to get it only at the roots of my lashes and brows so it doesn't get smudged all over the skin.

on 6/12/2010 5:09:00 AM

I was skeptical that something in the laxative section would stimulate hair growth, but by golly, it does. I apply with a q tip over brows and lash line nightly, let sink in before bed. I've seen some great results with this method. My brows are noticeably fuller, and my lashes are quite a bit longer. Brilliant!

on 6/7/2010 1:21:00 PM

I too had an allergic reaction to this around my eyes. I used it all over my face as an oil cleanser mixed with a few other oils (which i had no problems with in the past w/o castor oil in the mix) and i awoke with beautiful skin, yes, but a swollen, watery, red, crusty eye. sexy? i think not. i have had no problems with any other oils (evoo, almond, vitamin e oil) around my eyes. i should have known before putting a friggin laxative near my eye. i mean really. please use this around your face with caution if you have sensitive eyes.

on 5/25/2010 10:40:00 AM

Just a tip for storing and using your treatment I wanted to share with you ladies or anyone thinking of trying this treatment.

I have been using Castor Oil mixed with Sweet Almond Oil (also good for lashes and brows) mixed (75% CO to 25% SAO), and have recently started applying it using the method below.

I learnt, from a great online video (will add the link to this at end of my review) about how to put the oils together in an old mascara tube:

Quickly:
1) Get an old mascara tube and empty/clean out its contents until its clean.
2) Mix up your oils and/or vaseline (she uses vaseline and aloe also on her video but I dont) in a small pot or bowl.
3) Get a clean syringe (I bought one really cheap from ebay!) and syrings up the oils.
4) Syringe the mixture into the mascara tube.

Now your treatment is ready to apply to the lashes/brows quickly with a lot less mess, its travel friendly and it looks better on your dressing table/bathroom or make up bag that a bottle of castor oil!! ......and its cheap! I find its much easier to control the amount of oil I put on, and i can do my lashes with much less fuss that before! Plus you can re-use your mascara tube when you need to make a new batch :-)

For the video...to see step by step how she does it, see this link:

Have fun ladies!

on 5/4/2010 8:51:00 PM

I LOVE THIS STUFF!
It's absolutely amazing! I've been searching for something to help grow out my sparse eyebrows and this did just that!It even helped my lashes! I got my bottle at Rite Aid for around 4 bucks. I apply this stuff by mixing it with vaseline and some EVOO. I watched a video on youtube that showed me how to do this except they used a couple of different ingredients but what I basically do is get an old mascara tube and clean it out. I then mix vaseline, EVOO, and the castor oil into a little plate and mix them together. You can get this mixture into the mascara bottle by putting the mixture into a syringe and squirting it into the mascara tube! BAM there ya have it! I find it much easier to apply it this way rather than using my fingers or a Q-tip. I also massage my eyebrows with the mascara comb for around 1-2 minutes; not sure if that does anything but I heard brushing your eyebrows can help with hair growth. It's also a lot easier to apply to the lashes! I noticed results after using it every night for around 2-3 weeks(I'm sure i forgot to apply it a couple of nights though). Its such a great steal too! My bottle will probably last me foreverrrrrrr!

on 4/27/2010 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Soooo I probably wouldnt buy this product agian bc i think it would last me forever. Im using it as a treatment for my patchy brows. Its hard to remember using it every night, I mean who wants slick looking eyebrows when they go out on a friday night lol. Like everyone else whos reviewed this has said, it does take some time to see results but i did see some random hairs sprout in areas where its been bald for like forever! So I'm very optimistic and will update in a few weeks. It can get a little messy so I took the advice from one of the girls on the site, just flip the bottle over real quick and just take a swipe of the liquid that gets on the inside of the cap. Or you can use those disposable mascara wands, and dip it in the bottle just make sure its clean everytime. With the mascara wand, it easier not to get an oil overload. If it dosent work :( at least itll double as an eyebrow conditioner lol

on 4/26/2010 4:22:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Pros:
-very very cheap
-can be found everywhere
-you really see results
-easy to apply
-no scent
-clear consistency
-makes eyebrows thicker and darker
-strengthens eyelashes and makes them longer and fuller
Cons:
-takes a while to see results
-i dislike the packaging as you have to wipe off the excess when you dip a Q-tip in it. But for the results, I deal with it! :)

So far I've been using castor oil for a month and half now and I can really see the difference in my eyelashes and brows from before. My brows are noticeably darker and thicker, while my lashes are longer and stronger. If anything, I use this to help strengthen my lashes as I curl them everyday.

It does take a while to see results, but that comes with every lash grower, etc. Not mention because it is so cheap and is found everywhere, it is definitely worth trying!

I would certainly repurchase!

on 4/26/2010 4:01:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

After reading so many positive reviews about Castor Oil and in my quest to achieve longer fuller lashes I decided to purchase a bottle. I've used Tarte Multipleye which gave me no results and Talika Lipocils which I used for 6 months and enjoyed a lot. The results were gorgeous longer,
fuller lashes from the Talika. However the price tag is $40 bucks a pop so I figured I'd give Caster Oil a go. I used it for just two nights applying a very tiny amount on my lashes and broke
out in a rash all around my eyes, I woke up with my eyes swollen
and red with little bumps. I've never had an allergic reaction like this to anything...except poison
oak! It was terrible! It's been two days now and my eyes are finally getting back to normal but you can still see some of the bumps. Anyway I highly suggest doing a spot test first to make sure you're not allergic. I'm glad Castor Oil works for so many others but I will promptly be returning to my Talika Lipocils.

on 4/17/2010 6:40:00 AM

This absolutely worked for me. I have applied castor oil religously with a mascara wand for 6 weeks now and I have considerably longer lashes. Just amazing. It now looks like I am wearing mascara when I am not. My lashes, especially the bottom are much much longer, thicker and darker. It took a while to notice results, just over 4 weeks, so the key is to be patient.

I also use castor oil once a week to my hair as a treatment (half and half with avocado oil) with pretty good results. My hair is much more managable and soft but it seems to be a band aid/ temporary effect. After the next wash, my hair is not as smooth. A good trick is when washing out is to apply shampoo directly to hair before wetting it and working it through. I don't know why this works (maybe because water and oil don't mix?), but if you wet hair first you will struggle to get it out.

on 4/13/2010 9:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I originally got this to lengthen my eyelashes. I thought for the great price and all the rave reviews it couldn't go wrong. I've been using this every night for the past 3 weeks and it hasn't lengthened or thickened by eyelashes. It does take off stubborn eyemakeup really well.

I also tried using it on my skin that was dry and damaged from overuse of retin-a micro. My skin felt raw from using the retin-a and turned red and flaky on my forehead. The castor oil helped to soothe it and within days the dry skin patches came off easily when I washed my face.

I'll keep trying it for my eyelashes and update if anything changes.

Popular Brows Products