Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Corn Starch Modified, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Mica, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), Cyclohexasiloxane, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone. May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491(Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

I wanted to buy MUF HD foundation, but the SA told me that Mat Velvet was better for my combination skin. This foundation covers quite well and it is really natural. If you find your perfect shade nobody could say that you're wearing foundation.
But is is so difficult to blend and to build, it dries too fast. It doesn't control the oil of my t zone at all, so I think that it will look really bad on oily skin!
It claims to be long lasting but it isn't. After 4 hours I don't have foundation on my skin anymore and I don't like the finish. It is too mat, so you could seem like a ghost. It doesn't give you a healthy looking and it makes my cheeks really dry. I think that it is better to use this product during the summer or in warm places, otherwise it could dry a lot your skin.
I was expecting much more from this foundation and I won't repurchase again.

on 2/3/2013 6:49:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I first bought this product because Jen from frmheadtotoe said it was good for oily skin. I wanted my face to be matte for once in my lifee.I think that it looked pretty good when I applied it with my fingers and it matched my skin (number 35) but about four hours later my face was shiny and no matter how much I blotted it kept on getting shiner and shiner. So I don't think that this does a great job of controlling oil or preventing shine. It would be best for normal skin.

on 2/3/2013 2:14:00 PM

The only reason I bought this foundation was because I was hopeless about finding anything light enough for my super pale skin. It actually matches my skin tone, which is a miracle. I don't actually like the consistency of it, and find it doesn't cover up my darker acne marks on its own. I will buy it again because it matches my skin tone, but that is basically the only reason.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I honestly did not like this foundation at all. This foundation is so drying that if you have dry patches, it will emphasize them immediately. This is also not a true full coverage foundation (IMO), and you definitely need to build up for full coverage. It did not cover my blemishes very well and like I said, I had to build it up for my desired look. It doesn't blend very well and was pretty expensive overall. This foundation turned out very blotchy on my skin. Although the foundation matched my skin tone perfectly, it did oxidize after a few uses and turned my face ORANGE. And even though this foundation emphasizes dry patches after application, your face does get oily at the end of the day with this foundation.

on 1/28/2013 7:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I have some post acne marks and some blemishes so this covers them very well with a really good full coverage concealer. I like the fact that little is only needed to cover what I dont want to be seen. Its very smooth and easy to use my foundation brush. If I want a matte finish I use the MUFE HD finishing power but if theres day a I want a little glow I can to that. Dont not make me break me out at all and I love that its OIl Free too. Cant wait to use my new stippling brush with this founation! I will but this again!!!

on 1/26/2013 12:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Packaging is great, and excellent for travelling. However the foundation itself is not up to scratch. Heard so many great reviews about this foundation that I rushed out and bought it when I was in New York. It doesn't control oil, it's hard to blend and the consistency is quite dry. It's far too expensive for what it is (although the shade was perfect for my skin tone). I was expecting a lot more from this foundation.

i'm so bummed.....this stuff was SO AMAZING at first. it made my face look flawless, covered my blemishes and uneven skin tone WITHOUT concealer. i was extremely satisfied....until i noticed it made me breakout :(

i would highly recommend this foundation to anyone who is looking for medium-full coverage with a matte finish, or to anyone with oily skin. this stuff is amazing. unfortunately my skin just did not agree with it. i gave it 4 out of 5 because i was SO SO SO SO SO satisfied with it until i noticed it started to break me out. i am going to switch to estee lauder double wear and see what happens.

on 1/23/2013 2:47:00 AM

This is one of my favorite foundations so far. I've tried out many different kinds, including the MUF HD and Revlon Colorstay, but this one worked the best for me. My skin doesn't end up looking oily at the end of the day, and coverage is decent!

on 1/22/2013 9:08:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

i am 17 this year and have pimple scars on my face. i thought this product will be able to cover my dark pimple scars, but it didn't .. this is more to a medium coverage i must say . in Singapore , there is only four shades if im not wrong, or maybe more, not all. the Sephora lady color match me but i don't find it helpful as when i applied #35 on , it looks like as if i have a mask on . 10 minutes later .. it still looks the same .. somehow it doesn't oxidize on me . i trusted the Sephora girl, my conscience was right to take shade #40 instead of #35 . after wearing this product, it feels tacky... i am definitely not going to buy this product anymore. it is disappointing ): it cost SGD69 in Singapore sephora

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Although this is a mattifying foundation that targets oily skin, I don't find that this foundation is very oil-controlling. I have normal skin that tends to get a tiny bit oily at the end of the day with primer and non-matte foundation on. But since this is matte, I expected my face to be matte for most of the day.
Well, I had to lightly blot with MSFN twice (70-ish degrees), but it's not a big deal. For the most part, it lasted 6 hours, with primer.
I read a number of other reviews here on this product, and I have a few things to say:
1. Those with oily skin should use a primer and powder to prolong this foundation and stay matte all day.
2. If you have dry skin, stay away! It pisses me off that people are actually blaming the FOUNDATION for accentuating their dry skin! I hate to be rude, but jeez--what are you? 10? Almost all face makeup, regardless of finish, will accentuate dry skin! Matte foundations will only accentuate it even more! Exfoliate, moisturize, avoid matte finishes, and stop lowering ratings by wrongfully blaming the foundation for your own faults!
That said, I find that this foundation is best for normal, combo, and semi-oily skin, although if you have oily skin you can probably get away with it if you wear primer and powder, like I stated previously. Those with very oily skin should stay away; those with dry skin should definitely stay away.
Regarding the coverage, this foundation offers medium-to-full coverage, although you can definitely build it up to somewhat of a full coverage. It's not heavy enough to cover dark circles or very dark spots, but it will cover redness, dark marks, and acne, all the while evening out your skin tone.
At least, that's the coverage that I get with my fingers and my MAC 190 brush. If you want lighter coverage, apply it with a damp sponge (i.e. Beauty Blender). You have to work fast because it dries quickly. Once it dries, though, you have a flawless matte finish that looks great in person and in photography. I've heard of some people using this as their go-to foundation for photos, but I prefer MUFE HD for that purpose--that's just me, though.
#35 Vanilla is a pretty good shade match (I'm NC35, NARS SG Stromboli, and MUFE HD 128 but a mix of 1 part 127 and 2 parts 153 is a better match). I've also tried #30 Porcelain, #40 Natural Beige, #45 Soft Beige, and #50 Sand. #30 would be NC25-30 if it weren't for its beige undertones, #40 is NC25-30, #45 would be NW37 or NW35-40 if it weren't for its beige-pink undertones, and #50 is NW30-35. I've also swatched #55 Neutral Beige and it seems like NC40-45, except it appears to have somewhat warm peachy undertones.
At $36 for a 1.01 oz. tube, I think the price is fair. Usually foundations run for around at least $40, so you get a sizable amount for a decent price. Not bad at all.
Would I repurchase? No. I have better foundations.