Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Foundation

3.6

Aqua, Cyclopentasiloxane, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Mica, talc, PEG-10 Dimenthicone, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Phenyl, Trimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Lauroyl Lysine, Dimenthicone Crosspolymer, Glyceryl Caprylate, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Cyclohexacyloxane, Methylisothiazolinone, Sorbitan Sesquileate, Silver Oxide, Propylene, Carbonate, Parfum (fragrance), Methylparaben, Fagus Sylvatica Extract (Fagus Sylvatica Bud Extract), Hydrolyzed Yeast Protein, [+/- CI 77891 )titanium Dioxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

on 2/5/2009 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have rosacea with very sensitive skin and can't tolerate many commonly used ingredients. I was pleasantly surprised to see that this foundation did not contain anything, including chemical sunscreen, that I've knowingly had trouble with in the past and decided to give it a whirl. It's ok. The finish looks ok and it doesn't irritate my skin within a matter of hours as many foundations do, but I can't say how it would do over the longer term because I never wear it 2 days in a row -- I don't really care for the shade match. I'm a light NC15 or C1 in MAC, N1 in Alima, Chantecaille Porcelain. My closest match in this is 117, which I would equate with a MAC NC15-20, closer to NC20, and with strong yellow tones. It's unfortunate that MUFE does not offer a HD shade equivalent to 110 (which is lighter but extremely pink) for the yellow and/or neutral toned among us. After much aggravation, I finally managed to locate contact information for someone at MUFE to request that they consider offering a less pink lighter shade and was (politely) told they can't match every skin tone/depth that exists and that they had no plans to extend the shade range. Luckily, Chantecaille, Alima, Everyday Minerals, Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier and Revlon, among others, do not feel that very pale individuals with neutral or yellow undertones are so rare! Finally, while I realize the trend is toward long-wearing foundations, I prefer one that I can easily remove with my HG cleanser, MD Forte Replenish Hydrating Cleanser. This is not a wimpy cleanser, but it really doesn't remove HD from either my face or my brush. I use Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm or a cleansing oil to remove. Would not repurchase unless they came out with a more appropriate shade for me.

Edit 7/12/09: I've found that I can achieve a somewhat more wearable shade by mixing 117 with some Face Atelier Zero Minus (which has a high silicone content) or MUFE HD 110. Don't bother mixing HD with MAC Face & Body White as that is water based and the "look" of HD is destroyed. My best match (though still not good enough to where I'd feel great about actually wearing it) is 2/3 of 117 + 1/3 of 110...an expensive proposition for not so great.

I had really high hopes and expectations for this foundation. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to any of them. I've decided to list the different ways that I tried to apply this foundation and the accompanying results a little further in the review. If I could give this 0 lippies I would. The only positive is that the 110 is a pretty good match for my NW15/PX Camellia/ EL Shell skin. Also, I always like a pump bottle since they're sanitary. Other than that, I really wanted to have the amazing results so many have seen with this. If it wasn't for the pics I've seen, I probably wouldn't believe them, lol! Also, my skin is combo/acne prone, a little flaky and dull in the winter, but my nose has large pores and stays oily.

For this list, I used my usual primer, which is Smashbox Photofinish Light.
Fingers-Coverage was very light and had to blend fast. I tried to layer another coat, but it ended up being too much.
187-I tried this with one pump and it was hardly detectable. With 2 pumps, it was better but still not enough coverage. The 3 pumps had good coverage but by the end of the day, it had pooled in my pores and was just hanging out on top of my skin.
190-Once again, one coat wasn't enough. Tried to layer and ended up with it sitting on my skin once again.
Damp sponge (SK Blue Peep)-This gave the best application but the lasting power was nil.

Since I thought something was wrong with me, I bought the MUFE HD Primer. However, it didn't make any difference, almost everything I mentioned happened all over again. I also set it with the HD power and it was just all around awful. I'm happy it works for others but for me it's horrible. Thankfully I can always fall back on my PX Flawless Skin and I have a new love in the Diorskin Nude.

on 2/3/2009 10:44:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I wanted to try this foundation in the worst way after reading all the hype on the boards, so on my last visit to Sephora, I scored a generous sample of this foundation and tried it out for a week. I have mixed feelings about this. The color -- HD 120 -- was one of the best foundation color matches for me ever -- for reference I'm a MAC C2/NC25. This applied like a dream, and I loved the finish -- it's not matte, not dewy -- just very natural. I have large pores and combo skin, and after application, my skin looked pretty flawless. It's nice and light feeling on the skin, too.

So why didn't I give this a better rating? It had absolutely no staying power...and I was testing this during the cold Midwestern winter months when my skin is a tad drier; I can't imagine what this would do in humid summer weather. I tried setting it w/my loose NARS powder and w/MAC Blot, but it made no difference...a couple of hours after application, it looked like I hadn't applied the foundation at all; I even used a MUFE primer underneath, but still no luck w/staying power. I believe this retails for $40 at Sephora; I just can't spend that on a foundation that doesn't last. So for now, I'm sticking with Estee Lauder's Day Wear Light.

on 2/3/2009 3:54:00 AM

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

I so wanted to like this foundation, but I hate it!!! The coverage is sheer, it pools up in my pores & makes my skin flaky around my nose. $40??? What a waste!!! This is definitely going back. On the positive side, the color selection is great, 110 is a perfect match for me which is difficult. I like the pump bottle.

on 2/1/2009 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This foundation has a really great finish in my opinion...It is extremely important that the skin be hydrated or will make large pores even bigger and cling to flakes. The color selection for this is unrivaled there are 25 colors to choose from...ranging from cool, neutral and warm undertones, and there are even some colors for those of us that have olive skin. This is def a medium coverage foundation and is definetly buildable. There were a couple of different problems for me. First of all the foundation doesnt wear evenly I have combo skin but right now since the weather is very dry im def more dry, and I noticed the foundation began to fade on my cheeks and dissapeared in places on my forehead, not good. I have a lot of hyperpigmentation from breakouts and I hate concealing or touching up so fading foundation for me after a couple of hours is simply not acceptable especially if my skin is on the drier side. Second and the most important reason why I am no longer using this is beause it causes some sort of irritation to my skin after a couple of days of wearing in a row i noticed a lot of red bumps that looked like clogged pores but I couldnt extract...Then came actual breakouts. I know it was this because I tried this foundation about 6months a go and it happened tried it again last week and it happened again. I had high hopes for this because I had a good color match in 123 (for ref nc35-37-40) and this had NO sunscreen which I look for since I am allergic to chemical sunscreens. Really liked the packaging too...simple with a pump...oh well currently trying chantecailles future skin...crossing my fingers.

on 2/1/2009 5:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

on 2/1/2009 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

I went into Sephora and wanted to try this makeup out. A lady helped me to find a shade and she matched me with #153. I bought it and used it for a couple of days. It's really great stuff. It feels light on my face and I can barely feel it. Honestly, there is a difference between this and my MAC select. After removing my makeup at the end of the day, I can feel a difference when I remove my MAC. It feels like a mask was taken off of my face....and I only use one pump with the MAC. With the make up forever, I also use one pump and I can't tell a difference when I remove it. It's weightless. When paired with the HD powder, I had very minimal oiliness in my T-Zone. I think this will be my daily wear makeup. Hey, I need to make use of it after paying $40 on it!

on 1/31/2009 9:24:00 AM

I bought this product at Sephora. #120. Reference: I normally use MAC Studio Fix NC30
I really like the coverage on this product and it didn't feel thick or cakey on my face. After applying this product on my face, I could see the difference immeditely. My face was smoothier and flawless.
I don't think this product is good for work, but great for going out and being infront of cameras.

on 1/30/2009 3:43:00 PM

i'm amazed to see there are so many that don't like this foundation. i have combo skin and when i first started getting into high end foundation, i was wearing 2 different kinds of clinique for a while then tried mac's select spf15, and none of them worked well for me. they made the dryness in my cheeks worse and they made me feel greasy even though they were oil free. it also did not help at all with my breakouts.
well i switched over to bare escentuals and was a happy camper, not only did my skin start improve (along with some other products i was using) but it felt great, and didn't feel suffocating.
well i was pretty wary of liquid foundation after going mineral but i heard so much about this foundation that i caved and got it, and the green primer too (for the redness in my cheeks).
i'm in love! i've been wearing it for a week, it hasn't caused any breakouts and it's so lightweight, i dont feel heavy and suffocating wearing it, even when i put a couple layers on!
the finish is awesome, and my face doesn't feel like a greaseball with it on. in the past my old liquid foundations always felt wet or greasy, like if i wiped my finger on my face it would rub off. but this doesn't feel that way at all.
my tzone still gets a bit oily after a few hours but i haven't found anything that's stopped that. just mother nature doin it's thing i guess lol. but the greasiness isn't as bad as it was with my old liquid foundations.
i'm really pleased! it's a bit pricey but as long as it lasts me a good while i'll be ok with it.
overall i'm really happy with my purchase! btw, i'm around nc20 (maybe a tad lighter but not as light as nc15) and i wear 117.

on 1/30/2009 11:39:00 AM

It's just too mask-like for me irl. I guess if you need a lot of coverage and have oily-ish skin it's a good thing to try, but I can only get it to work mixing it with a lighter texture liquid, or I might try making a TM out of it. It does look good in pictures, though, I must say. Very smoooooooth.