Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion

3.7

Water, Glycerin, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Macadamia Integrifolia Seed Oil (Macademia Nut Oil), Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Stearoxytrimethylsilane, Stearyl Alcohol, Panthenol, Farnesol, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid.

Okay, so you go to the dermatologist to get a acne medication because your acne is once again flaring up again. So you ask the derm what the best moisturizer and cleanser is for your skin and he says, " Cetaphil " . This is why we are all here. Now onto the review, shall we. Cetaphil Lotion is does moiturize and manages to tame our driest flakes, but has one big con. GREASY. Your face will feel like an oil slick within 1-2 hours of applying it. Not cute. My skin drinks this up when first applied but I don't know what leads it to act up the way it does and make it a greasy oily mess. I would buy again but also am on the hunt for a better moisturizer. Have re-purchased and unfortunately will again until I find my HG.

I have been using this product for years. Years? You might ask. Why would I only give it 2 stars?

Well, my story is probably like many others, I got this because this is what the dermatologist recommended for my acne-prone skin. I have been to the derm for years, and everyone has recommended Cetaphil as a good brand because it gentle. I have been on several different types of drying acne medication, and a good moisturizer is a must.

I can never use this as an overall moisturizer. It made me as shiny as a disco-ball. The only reason I repurchased it so many times, is- it is still the ONLY moisturizer that gets rid of flakes. If you are on any sort of retinoid, or it is just winter and you are flaky, you know what sort of flakes I am talking about. Anyway, I always bring this moisturizer with me, and if I get flaky I dab some on, and the flakes go away.

However, I don't think it would be a good base for makeup. I hear it has some bad cancer causing ingredients? ( not sure) And interestingly enough, I always use sparingly because it does break me out.

on 2/2/2015 5:25:00 AM

I think this is excellent as a very basic lotion. I used it for a while, but decided to use oils to get the antioxidant and goodness of them.

Its cheap, easy to purchase/find, and does its job at moisturising the skin. I used it sometimes on my body, but found it to be too lightweight for me.

Would recommend for those looking for a cheap, possibly multi use, lotion.

on 1/31/2015 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I have dehydrated-normal skin and I find this an average drugstore body lotion. This is somewhere between Aveeno's daily moisturizing lotion and Lubriderm's. Lubriderm is more watery, while Aveeno is closer to a cream and more moisturizing in my experience. It advertises as being fragrance-free which I was surprised to see since it has something of a powdery floral smell.

Overall, this was not moisturizing enough for my skin. For normal-to-oily skin types I think this would be fine. It isn't worth going out of your way for, but if you're looking for a body lotion this is serviceable enough.

on 1/27/2015 12:41:00 AM

I was excited to buy this because Iove the cleanser. It was just ok. Nothing special. It goes on a little too greasy for the face which is what I bought it for. It's good for moisturizing but it's not that great of a product. Probably wouldn't repurchase.

on 1/4/2015 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Love this stuff! fragrance-free, non-comedogenic, and just plain simple. I needed a moisturizer that was just that as I have very sensitive acne prone skin and large pores. I've tried cetaphil products before and loved them, so I'm not sure why I ever walked away.. Well my mom had a moisturizer from Europe that was very similar and I used it every day.. I just finished it the other day so I had to go out and buy something else. Went back to cetaphil. Guess that's how it happened xD It's cheap and it works. I use it in the morning and evening after washing my face with my oatmeal scrub from St Ives. It goes on smooth, feels light on the skin, and dries within a couple minutes leaving my skin moisturized and feeling not as tight. Great stuff that I recommend!

on 1/2/2015 2:47:00 PM

I finally got the chance to try this lotion. I chose the lotion instead of the cream because I have combination, acne prone skin but it is very dry and sensitive in the winter so I thought this could be a solution. It only made my skin greasy, oily, clogged my pores and gave me pimples. Used it just for few days and now I use it for my body. Dissapointed. It happened the same with Cerave Lotion.

on 12/26/2014 6:35:00 AM

I have dry skin, and thought I would try this moisturiser. So greasy, and doesnt sink into my skin. Used it once or twice and threw it out.

on 12/26/2014 6:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I have very dry and sensitive skin and find a hard time finding a good body lotion. I usually end up with the following outcomes:
1. Contains fragrance causing me to break out in ezcema.
2. Is just not moisturising enough and I am dry and flaky again within the hour.
3. Is too thick or gets absorbed too quickly leading me to use a quarter of the bottle/tube in one go in order to cover my body adequately.
4. It is just too expensive or the product amount is too little for me to continue purchasing in the future.

This is not a luxurious product; it does not have a lovely fluffy creamy texture or feel like silk on the skin. It is not a deep moisturising cream, which makes me feel like I have the skin of a goddess. BUT I find it reliable and for that I am thankful and have yet to find a better option. I enjoy that it is both fragrance free as well as petroleum free as I find they do not moisturise my skin effectively when they do contain petroleum or related ingredients. I love that this spreads easily on the skin and I have to rub little in order for it to absorb. I also love that it moisturises my skin and it continues to stay hydrated until the next day. Most of all - I love that you can buy it in a litre bottle, which means it will last me a while until I need to repurchase. I go through body lotion like crazy and will use multiple pumps each use so this is an affordable option for me.

Very basic, but very reliable.

on 12/23/2014 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I am so overly obsessed with Cetaphil. I have suuuuuper dry and sensitive skin, (which Cetaphil specifically makes their products for), so I am in love. I use my gentle cleanser morning and night. After cleaning my face in the morning, I follow up with a liberal amount of this lotion. When cleansing my face in the evening, I use the Cetaphil gentle cleanser and then follow up the heavier Cetaphil cream (see profile for review of the cream). This lotion is nice and light, but strong enough to keep my face moisturized all day. I do not break out much, just the occasional stress spot but nothing major. I have been pretty blessed with really clear skin. I do, however, get really bad reactions to skin products if my skin rejects it (redness, flakes, etc.).
HIGHLY recommend to anyone with the same skin type as me. It is kind of pricy in my opinion, but you get so much product so it's worth it :)

Popular Moisturizers