The Body Shop Big and Curvy Mascara

2.5

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water (Solvent/Diluent), Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax (Stabiliser/Viscosity Modifier), Beeswax (Emulsifier/Emollient), Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax (Stabiliser), Acrylates/Octylacrylamide Copolymer (Hair Fixative), Tribehenin (Skin Conditioning Agent), Triethanolamine (pH Adjuster), Stearic Acid (Emulsifier), Palmitic Acid (Surfactant), Acacia Senegal Gum (Film Former), Panthenol (Skin/Hair Conditioning Agent), Glyceryl Stearate (Emulsifier), Sclerocarya Birrea Seed Oil (Skin Conditioning Agent), Phenethyl Alcohol (Fragrance Ingredient), Caprylyl Glycol (Skin Conditioning Agent), PPG-2 Methyl Ether (Solvent), Phenylpropanol (Solvent), Piperonal (Fragrance Ingredient), Hydroxyethylcellulose (Stabiliser/Thickener), Polyimide-1 (Film Former), Myristamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate (Skin-Conditioning Agent), Myristic Acid (Emulsifier), Disodium EDTA (Chelating Agent), Lauric Acid (Surfactant - Cleansing Agent), Alcohol Denat. (Solvent/Diluent), Iron Oxides (Colour).

on 12/6/2013 1:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

RATING 2.5**.5
Lately, everytime I've been removing my mascara I've been losing lashes. So I bought this in hopes that it's not as toxic. It cost me $18.50 but b/c Body Shop always has deals, I got an eyeliner and an eye shadow for FREE. Lets just say I'm glad I got those items for free as I really do not like this mascara all that much. I've been using their Super Volume one for years (in the dark packaging) so just wanted to try something else. This mascara is OK at best. It took me about 3 generous coats to see any va va voom effect and while I do notice volume, the mascara did not distribute on up evenly to my (or rather on my) long lashes. So most of the product looks like it's stuck at the roots. The formula is not a rich black either. And lastly, my lashes feel dry and brittle and far from "nourished" or soft like it would from Maybelline's Mega Plush for example. This is a perfect example of how price is not everything and also how I got sucked into the pretty packaging. Love Body Shop products and will always re-purchase certain items, just never this paticular mascara again.
UPDATE: Ok, after a week or so it seemed to have applied the way I like, plumped up my lashes and after drying and a whirl with my eyelash curler (I know you're supposed to do it before hand blah blah blah) I got nice curled close knit looking thick lashes. So great for a day look as no va va voom still, but nice lashes non the less.
UPDATE: OPENED DEC 6th 2013 & GARBAGE JAN 17th 2014. Neglected it for a few wks in opt for my many others I love (like CG Lash Blast, Mega Plush, etc) & the formula was UN-usable, totally clumped / gooey up at surface of tube and too much product in the brush. Waste of ner $20 as I used it maybe four times. Never re-purchasing.

I am so unhappy with this product I just had to sign up to review it.
I decided to go for this mascara on a 2 for 3 deal at the BodyShop, so I didn't have to pay full price thankfully. I would NEVER pay the full amount or even buy this product again for that matter.

All the reports about it being clumpy are true. It left rock-solid clumps on my lashes which I could not remover with my makeup remover for days. It was so frustrating not being able to remove this glue-like mascara that I tried to gently ease a clump off one of my lashes with my fingertips which (I suppose rather predictably) resulted in me pulling lashes out. My lashes have not looked so sparse for a long time, they are all falling out.

In addition to this, the clumps seem to fall out into your eyes easily when the wind blows. It is not only annoying and painful having clumps stuck in your eyeball but when you've taken the time to do your makeup before going out its frustrating having to then rub your eye to get the clump out, rubbing your eye makeup off.

I have used this mascara a few times a week for a month and a half and I am fed up. I would have stopped using it sooner but I like to give things a chance/am on a tight budget.

Summary: red eyes, falling eyelashes, very very very very unhappy. Don't but this mascara, the formula is cheap and nasty and the wand is terrible. It does not make your eyelashes big or curvy, it just irritates your eyes. My experience with other mascaras from BodyShop has been OK, I would just steer clear of this one.

on 5/28/2013 9:10:00 PM

Okay, so i was about to write a good review about this mascara because i really like how it makes my lashes look and how well it holds a curl. Until i read a few of the reviews about the smell!
The funny thing is when i got ready this morning and was ready to leave the house i noticed sensitivity in my nose, there was a sent somewhere on me that was not making my nose happy. I couldn't figure out what it was, i thought maybe it was my new lotion, or my lipgloss! well now it makes sense..its the stupid mascara!
Such a disappointment considering the formula is actually decent.
I will return this asap, the smell is awful!!!!

on 5/3/2013 2:23:00 PM

Well this produt is really good it makes my lashes very long and voluminous. One thing I hate about it is that when u take it out the mascara is all just clumped onto the brush. Overall I really like this mascara and I think that u shuould buy it. I relly love to make my lashes big so I live for this mascara

on 1/27/2013 5:20:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Horrible stuff! The worst thing is the smell: it has an awful, awful fragrance that you can still smell hours later. That in itself makes it a no from me. As for the product, it's ok but not great. I quite like the brush - it's small, so I can get right into the corners (my eyes aren't huge, and my lashes are short and straight). It curls a little, but is a strange consistency. Wet and clumpy at the same time, if that makes sense. It's also really hard to remove. I'll probably use this up because I got it free, but would NOT repurchase. Back to trusty Maybelline.

EDIT: after a couple of weeks the smell faded and it got a little drier, and I've come to love this. The best thing, IMO, is the small brush, which enables you to apply easily if you don't have huge eyes or lang lashes. It's quicker to apply than a lot of other mascaras, holds the curl really well, and looks good. Have repurchased.

on 1/26/2013 7:57:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Everyone that posted on how horrible this mascara was is absolutely right. harsh smell very very clumpy and just all around terrible. I went to the store and bought one of the Maybelline ones and that one is waaay better and it actualy did what it was suppose to do( not to mention you're saving money) Shame on you Body Shop shame on you

on 1/20/2013 8:09:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I regret to say I actually bought this mascara (the waterproof one) and it is an absolute waste of money. I only bought it because the sale assistant in The Body Shop recommended it.

This stuff is absolutely awful. It doesn't help with length, volume or curliness on my lashes. It gets clumpy so easily. It takes forever to dry so it ends up getting every where on my face. It is so difficult to get off with ordinary make-up wipes, remover or cleanser - when I eventually get it of it usually takes my lashes with it. The applicator is god awful and loads up with way to much product. The packaging writing rubs off eventually

I tried several method to try and make this product work using different spoolies, combing the product through etc.. but nothing really makes it even "workable" or "acceptable" if you know what I mean. I'm not one to really throw away a product but with this product I don't think there is not much I can do with it.

on 11/27/2012 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

Got this free from magazine and was excited because been waiting to try The Body Shop mascara for a while.
BIG disappointment! I opened the tube and cannot believe how awfully useless the brush was. I ended up throwing the original brush away and used Maybeline's Full 'n Soft brush instead.
Formula was way too wet that it took ages to dry... and we all know what happened when I sneezed soon after I applied a coat of the mascara.
No curl, no volume, just weighed my lashes down straight away.

on 10/28/2012 7:41:00 PM

I got this as a free gift, and we've had a really bad relationship so far. It's REALLY clumpy, with a super-wet formula. It gives me spider-lashes (ew) and it smells horrifying. And whenever I get my makeup remove and try to get it all off (keep in mind that I only apply one coat of mascara), it takes me a very long time, and my eyelashes come out! I got scared and haven't touched this mascara ever since. Would not recommend it to anyone.

on 8/16/2012 11:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

WORST EVER!! I have sensitive eyes, looking for waterproof mascara as i'm outdoors most of the time. Hop by TBS, bought these, and to my horror upon opening the tube, there's no brush in it! Had to go back to the store to change. Tried it in the evening, and my eyes burns from the smell of it. It's clumpy, messy, just didn't work out. Quite a disappointing product from TBS!!

Popular Mascaras