Elizabeth Arden Red Door

2.8

on 8/30/2014 7:36:00 PM

Ok I confess I love RED DOOR. My close friend wore it in college in the early 90's, and I loved it on her. Well this summer, I decided to go on the hunt for a new signature scent. I smell Red Door, and the memories flood back. So I am currently in love. I found it at TJ MAXX for under 20 $....
Yet to be honest, I have only received one compliment...but I don't care it smells beautiful to me! I feel lady-like and polished. So wear it I will!

on 6/19/2014 5:05:00 PM

this is pretty in a bottle. I had this one years ago and loved it. Red Door is a youthful fragrance, but I've moved on, don't think I would buy it again but if it was presented to me as a gift I'm sure I would wear it a lot.

on 6/9/2014 4:20:00 PM

The reformulated edt is too strong and chemical-smelling for me, but I love the original scent--I find that using the shower gel in my bath satisfies my need for a Red Door 'fix'. :)
Mmm...warm and lovely!

on 5/28/2014 11:46:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

There's no perfume I loathe with as much fervor as I do Red door.scent they say is subjective so for any red door fans I apologize but I think this stinks. It's cloying, has eye watering sillage & it took two full force scrubbings to GET OFF ME!!! So yeah, I hate this perfume

This isn't something I would personally wear,but its a classic. It's to me,a power suit in a perfume. I hope that makes sense to others haha. This was the first perfume I remember seeing in a store and always smelling in the air at sears. a lady working in a shop once (who was helping my dad) I remember smelling this delightful sent and asking if it was this she was wearing. Lol,in 1996. I was 7,haha.

on 1/12/2014 1:00:00 PM

This award-winning fragrance is such a classic floral by Elizabeth Arden. I like the concept and the bottle. I can appreciate the carefully crafted blend of ylang yang, rose, jasmine, orange blossom and the the rest of the bouquet that blossoms out of this fragrance.

I am highly sensitive to certain florals. Since Red Door is bursting with quite a variety of them right through its pyramid, I can't wear it.

It's heady with good staying power and silage. I can handle some rose and jasmine, but just not this much huddled together with freesia, lily, etc. I mean, you're really getting the whole flower shop with this one. I never do get to the sandalwood and vetiver in the base.

I don't subscribed to the "old lady" or "grandma" classification of any fragrance. I have read comments like that about Red Door. There are perfumes that were originally formulated prior to 1900 (look up Jicky Guerlain for women), and they're still wonderful today for people of any age. Red Door was created in 1989.

It's a beauty on paper, but it's not for me.

on 1/12/2014 11:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This perfume floats around me like a warm, comforting cloud! I love tuberose and I get a lot of it in this perfume. Everyone else seems to think it smells serious or "old" (how does a perfume smell old? Old is an value of time, not a smell), but I think it smells amazing! I could wear this anytime of the year, although I have only used it in cold weather. I have so many perfumes that I don't wear this all the time, but it is in serious rotation. Very beautiful!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I adore Red Door. Every time I use this I smell the bottle first, say omg I love this, then spray. I just love it so much. It smells vintage, like I like so to me this type of fragrance is just right. A timeless classic in my opinion. Great lasting power, too. One spray and I'm good-to-go.

on 12/29/2013 12:09:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I edited my review, I am on the fence with this one, sometimes I think it smells cheap and chemical , other times it smells ok. my nose has been spoiled perhaps by Madini oils.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

An all-business perfume, no doubt, one that reminds me of a mature lady, all suits, hair back in a bun, clothes dry-cleaned and ironed, sharply dressed. I couldn't wear this fragrance any other time. Or so I thought. It always seemed too serious for me.
The straight tuberous hits hard in the beginning for me but is deliciously and creamily mellowed by the additional notes. On me, it's as if the tuberose is fully wrapped around by everything else. You know, it's there, it's a strong element, but it's also mellowed for about 2 or so hours.
Then Red Door turns to a completely different perfume than its original scent on me. It becomes a spicy, honeyed powder that's still strong and enjoyable. The florals disappear and Red Door becomes a full-blown oriental on me. What a change-over.
An interesting perfume this becomes that lasts for hours upon hours. Sillage sits comfortable around you like a floating cloud if Red Door agrees with you. That is the key to this perfume. It's a powerhouse that will knock the socks off the people around you if it doesn't agree with your body chemistry. I'm glad it turns into a wonderfully spicy oriental on me.
Day Two of wearing it I received compliments on the perfume I was wearing. Even tho I had never tried Red Door before, always avoiding it, I had decided to take the plunge and try it. I had a generous sample to last me for a few days so I decided to wear it again and see how I felt about this classic. On Day Three a woman shopping for perfumes complimented me and asked me for suggestions for herself. Go figure. Red Door must agree with me then if another woman asked for suggestions on perfumes. I guess it does suit me (pun intended) after all. Kinda grows on you surreptitiously.
Top Notes: Orange Blossom, Plum, Violet, Peach, Anise, Rose.
Middle Notes: Honey, Carnation, Tuberose, Orchid, Freesia, Lily, Ylang-Ylang, Lily-Of-The-Valley, Rose, Jasmine.
Base Notes: Sandalwood, Amber, Musk, Benzoin, Vetiver, Heliotrope, Cedar.

Popular Fragrances