CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser

4.1

Purified Water, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Glycerin, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Peg-150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate and Peg-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Niacinamide, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-II, Ceramide 1, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Sodium Chloride, Phytosphingosine, Citric Acid, Edetate Disodium, Dihydrate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum

on 12/11/2012 4:24:00 AM

I am so happy to have found this cleanser. I was using Paula's Choice "Hydralight," which I kind of preferred due to the non-foaming aspect, but this is SO much less expensive, and good/ neutral to skin. So far, very happy.

I still use Paula's for other skincare products.

on 11/20/2012 1:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my holy grail foaming face wash. I can't live without it, and it has done wonders for my skin. It's a simple, foaming, non-comedogenic facial wash with simple ingredients and which leaves no residue behind.

It's great for just a quick face wash, or with Clarisonic Mia or a washcloth. Great for environmentally-stressed oily/acne-prone skin. Soothing.

on 11/3/2012 1:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Too irritating for my rosacea, which is a pity considering that was what it was made for.

on 10/17/2012 8:19:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

Let me tell you what happened. I got this as a sample and LOVED it, and I began to use it religiously. I already had some (adult) acne and wanted it gone. I used this product for over a YEAR, at least 2 or 3 bottles so far, so those of you who just started, BEWARE!!!!!! I agree with you ladies out there who gave the bad reviews. Let me tell you, I didn't notice it was doing anything specifically because I already had problems and used so many other products too. But the acne and whiteheads got out of control. I had MASSIVE fields of whiteheads and cystic acne like never before. I never thought it was the Cerave which I loved so much and I thought made my skin amazing. I started Evening Primrose Oil pills (to regulate hormones) which did get rid of the painful cysts, and other masks, scrubs, benzyl peroxide creams, cleansers to alternate with, but always used the Cerave, at least once a day. I recommended it to everyone. Finally I GAVE a friend a bottle because I thought it was that great. She told me it broke her out, but she loved the way it made her skin feel. Impossible I thought, keep trying it. She did, but not for long. She had an instant reaction, and maybe I did too, but I couldn't tell at the time. That really made me realize for the first time that it could be the Cerave causing the problem.

It isn't just about oily or dry skin. Mine is combo/regular and this didn't dry me out per say, but it did something to cause acne, clog pores or a reaction or something. From there on it really spiraled out of control. Please be warned, I really am shocked how I was using this for so long and really thought it was the cure when it may have potentially been part of the problem. I'm sure it won't happen to everyone, but a year ago I would have given a five star review. Just know that if you break out, this could be a possible cause.

I've seen reviews that people were having similar reactions to the same products I was reacting to, and I found it could be the niacinamide. I'm not sure, as I think I react to a number of things, but this cleanser was either one of them or didn't help.

**Update: This is years later, and I really really think my issue was more with Propylene glycol than niacinamide. It could be the niacinamide as well, but it's definitely the PG for me...avoiding it at all costs now!**

on 10/11/2012 2:09:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Cerave is a line created with dermalologists. Sounds good, eh? Let me first tell you a little about my skin. I have combo, very clogged prone skin with some hyperpigmentation and acne scars. I was looking for a gentle skin care line and I saw all the raves on Cerave. Plus, its readily available at most drugstores (CVS, Target, Walgreens) and the price is pretty good too (under $13). I picked up the foaming cleanser, hydrating cleanser and the Cerave PM lotion. I noticed a lot of good ingredients like Niacinamide, Ceramides and Sodium Hyaluronate. I thought I might have stumbled upon my HG skin care.

Here are my thoughts:

Foaming Facial Cleanser: I think this is a great, solid foaming cleanser which for me, effectively removed my makeup with one wash. You may need to do a double-cleanse if you use longwear or waterproof. One to two pumps is enough to create an abundant lather with water. I admit, this cleanser did not irritate my existing pimples or any cause any additional redness. I used this cleanser for a month. I initially loved the results. It made my face feel squeaky clean. For those who like that squeaky feel, this is for you. For me, it did dry my face out a little bit. But the one thing I noticed was an increase in clogged pores around my jaw area, sides of my forehead and chin. It didnt happen overnight but it did happen eventually. Nothing major but again, my skin is very prone to clogging and this and the other Cerave cleansers seemed to have increased my whiteheads. It was very annoying and even now, I still have some stubborn whiteheads that wont go away. Grrrr... I am sure I can use this for washing my makeup brushes.

I wish I could love this wash because it is gentle and effective at cleansing but to me, I just couldnt stand the clogged pores. Also, I noticed my hands were often very dry and itchy too. I have since gone back to my old cleanser and I think my face is a little better.

For those that can use Cerave cleansers, I am so jealous. But again, I dont want to bash this cleanser because I do think it will work for many. Just not me... =(

PS. Tried the Hydrating Cleanser and that one is not effective for makeup removal but good for morning washes as it is really gentle. Lotion-type consistency and very little lather. Also caused clogged pores but worse for me than the foaming.

As for the Cerave PM lotion, strangely, I can use this lotion along with my AHA lotion and it seems OK. Moisturizes without a greasy feel and I do notice softer skin. YAY! We'll see. what happens with continued use...

Thanks for reading =)

on 9/29/2012 9:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Great stuff! I use this morning and night and it cleans my skin without stripping it of moisture or making my skin feel uncomfortable. It foams nicely and rises without leaving a residue. It's mild, but gets the job done efficiently. At first, it seems expensive, but one bottle lasts forever! Awesome product. Will repurchase!

on 9/24/2012 2:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I use this every morning and have repurchased and will continue to do so. It's great at cleansing my oily skin and whatever I may have used at night (retin-A, BHA, etc.) without irritating or drying. A must-have for me. Doesn't remove liquid foundation well enough (but works on tinted moisteriser or powder foundation) but I use a different cleanser at night.

on 9/22/2012 12:32:00 PM

I've been using this for a month now and wow! What a great cleanser! I have combination skin that is on the oily side, but it doesn't dry out the drier parts of my skin and never increases my skin's sensitivity/redness. It does a good job of cleaning my makeup and when I skip a night of using this, I've been noticing that my pores gets a bit more congested. I had been using Clean & Clear Daily Pore Cleanser and I have to say this one is the much better product for that job. For a drugstore product, this is on the expensive side, but to me, it's definitely worth it. The bottle I've been using probably has a good 2 more months worth of use before I need to go buy another. If you have sensitive skin that is prone to acne, I think that this product is a great option to try!

on 9/5/2012 8:11:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this cleanser! I have acne prone skin and while it is good for my skin I think it would work for all skin types unless you have dry skin. In that case I would go with the moisturizing cleanser. Cerave doesn't test on animals and is easy to find. It removes makeup fairly well. I always used an acne cleanser but once I realized that it didn't matter because the salicylic acid (in most cases) isn't on your skin long enough to do anything, I switched over. I'm not saying this is the only good one, but it can be more difficult to find cruelty free products at the drug store that are readily available and you don't have to hunt for. I have tried other cleansers but keep coming back to this one.

on 9/1/2012 5:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I read so many great things about cerave and this cleanser in particular so I had to try it. While it takes off makeup better than anything I have ever tried yet it is so drying that I can no longer use it on my face. When I apply foundation with my hands I use this cleanser as a hand wash after to get the makeup off so it's not a total waste. But wow I have combo skin and after I washed my face with this my skin was so tight and squeaky it actually hurt. Might work if your skin is oily all over