Nexxus Emergencee Strengthening Polymeric Reconstructor

4.5

Water (Aqua, Eau), Collagen Amino Acids, Polyacrylamidomethylpropane Sulfonic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Elastin, Gelatin, Methylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

on 10/20/2007 5:33:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

My hair: fine, long, colored (red), naturally curly (I get it blow-dried straight once a week), fine, dry with damaged ends. Due to the constant coloring/straightening for the last 6 years, my hair is quite distressed and has "lost" its wave at the bottom half - even when I let it air dry & apply some curl-enhancing styling product, the last 15cm remain straight.

The process: Combined several MUA members' suggestions. Shampooed twice with Aveda Detoxifier to get rid of build-up, towel-dried my hair, applied Emergencee (a bit less than 2 handfuls), made sure it covered all my hair, put on a shower cap, applied medium heat with a hair-dryer for 30 secs, wrapped a towel & left it for 40mins. Rinsed, shampooed with a organic, moisturizing shampoo (I Provenzali Erboristico ai Semi di Lino - bought in Italy), rinsed. Then I mixed in a plastic bottle 2 tbspoons of wheatgerm oil with Henna Plus Natural Conditioner (organic, Dutch brand) & a teaspoon of Nexxus Aloxxi Color Infuser (Copper) to compensate for any color that would be stripped. Left the conditioner for 40mins and rinsed. Since I wanted to keep my hair silicone-free this time, instead of applying any styling product, I just rubbed a few drops of wheatgerm oil in my hands, applied it in my hair & left it to air dry.

The result: My damaged ends are definitely repaired. The waves are not restored at the bottom half but I did not expect many years of damage to be repaired in one go. My hair feels very silky and soft and I know it's not just because of the deep conditioning because I never had similar results in the past with deep conditioning masks. The hair would feel softer but the ends would still be brittle and lifeless.

Overall the product seems to keep its promises. I will update after I have used it for a couple more times to see what the longterm effects are.

UPDATE: I have used it 5-6 times by now (roughly every 15 days) and I am very satisfied with the way my hair look and feel afterwards. Although it does not seem to restore my natural "curliness", the ends look and feel healthy and it helped delay cutting my hair for at least 6 weeks. So I will keep using it and will purchase when the bottle is over.

on 10/19/2007 1:33:00 AM

I just used Emergencee for the first time and my hair looks and feels awesome!! I left it on in the shower for about 10 minutes with a shower cap, then shampooed with Brocato Splassh, then deep conditioned with Jessicurl's Too Shea using heat (micro cap) for 20 minutes. The results were great! You can't beat the price, it is easy to find, I will definitely repurchase!

on 10/16/2007 11:49:00 AM

I actually really like this stuff. My hair is A LOT more manageable after using this. I actually tried it out for the first time earlier this morning. I blow dried my hair & instantly noticed a difference (shinier & healthier looking!). Then I straigtened it (even more shiney!). Then curled the ends (i know i put my hair through hell, but why do you think I bought this stuff in the first place???). Now my hair looks great! I will update later on after I have used this a couple more times.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Love this product! I am Afr-Am with 4C relaxed hair. I washed my hair, rinsed it, and put in the Emergencee. I put a plastic cap on my hair and covered that with a towel. After 1 hour, I rinsed out the Emergencee and used a moisturizing conditioner (Humectress) with a plastic cap and towel again. After 1 hour, I rinsed out conditioner. The result was fabulous silky hair. My hair is shiny, and my highlights look better than ever! It's a bit pricey for a small bottle, but it's worth it!

on 8/12/2007 12:01:00 PM

Simply put: the best save-your-hair product that can be purchased OTC.
My hair is colored with a level 9 blonde & I blowdry and iron daily, so I've got a fair amount of damage. Throw some summer sun & pool chlorine in, and the breakage happens. This stuff STOPPED the breakage, and made my hair feel soft and healthy again. I use it twice a month (since I color approx 1x per month, I always use this 2 days before color). Saturate your hair, cap it, I like to heat for 10 minutes or so but you don't need to, rinse and then coat your hair with a super-rich conditioner for 10 minutes or so. You can see and feel a big difference.
For $12.99 @ CVS, this is a GREAT buy, since 1 salon protein treatment of comparable quality will run you $30-$40 and a small bottle of this lasts me about 4 treatments. I'll repurchase as long as they keep making it.

on 7/30/2007 5:57:00 AM

I just purchased this. I'm African American and just relaxed my hair for the first time again after a year long hiatus (no chemicals on hair). I used a weave to grow my hair out and get it back healthy again. I was torn between keeping my hair natural and getting a relaxer again. In the end I decided to relax just for more versatility and manageability and because it's just what I am used to. I plan to take 'breaks' from chemicals twice per year (12 weeks at a time) with weaves. Weaves REALLY do help to grow out hair if you have a great stylist and take good care of your hair (don't get it too tight..keep your own hair moisturized and scalp cleansed). My hair was near my ear when I got one in for the first time last year and now it's below my shoulders! Healthy and beautiful.

Anyway, I was told by my stylist to do a protein treatment with my first wash (post relaxer) this week and she recommended the Emergencee from Nexxus. I was told that it's good to do the protein treatment once per month to keep my hair healthy and growing. I'm so happy to have read all of the reviews here.
AA women, it is possible for us to have long, healthy hair of our own. Just take good care of the hair you have whether it's natural or relaxed (we look beautiful either way). Get relaxers every 8-10 weeks only (NOT SOONER). Get good moisturizing products for your hair and scalp. Take breaks from relaxers a couple of times per year by using braids, weaves, or other 'protective' styles that will not require you to have to touch your own hair daily.

Anyway, I look forward to posting my review on the emergencee and will update soon.

on 7/22/2007 8:54:00 PM

Oh, I love this stuff!!! I love to color my hair and do so much damage to it, that I am often shocked I still have hair left. I do this treatment at least 1x a month and what a difference. Well worth the investment. A 3.3oz bottle will last a few months. I'm not a huge fan of all Nexxus products but this one has a follower (me!).

on 7/11/2007 10:01:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

My dried, damaged, frizzy hair feels hydrated again. I bleach my hair and colour with at home-colour constantly so i didn't really believe that this product would work so well. I deserve a spanking for not trusting the MUA users - great reviews, for a great product.

I've used this 5 times, and the whole bottle is almost gone (100 ml), but i wanted to use it quite a bit before bleaching and will continue with only once before colourings the next time. I follow this up with biolage hydrating shampoo and conditioning balm, which smells great and works for my hair. I dont see anything SUPER special about the shampoo, but totally, and completely LOVE the hydrating balm.

Price? Ebay. I bought 6 bottles on ebay for 31.00 US + 7.00 shipping - 38.00 in total. Personally, i thought it was a fabulous deal, and definitely have enough to last me atleast 2 years.

A total winner!

on 7/9/2007 1:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Emergencee is a lifesaver!!! A month ago, I decided to perm my already dyed and highlighted hair (I've been dyeing and highlighting my hair for years and my last highlighting session was particularly hard on my hair). Needless to say, the results were disasterous. It was so horrible that the stylist felt forced to cut several inches away right after the perm because my hair was just so beyond repair. Some of you guys thought YOUR hair was damaged - but I'm guessing your hair would be considered "healthy" when compared to mine. It was VERY dry, brittle, porous, had that "mushy, spongy" feel when wet, and "crunched" when it was dry. Although I think my hair will never become "healthy" and normal again, this product got it as close to healthy as it's ever going to be. After using it twice, a week apart (I know the directions says to use every two weeks, I felt that my hair needed some extra treatment). I think the first time i used it, it just worked to strenghten my hair - i didn't see that much in extra moisture but i definitely felt that it was stronger. But the second time i used it - WOW. My hair actually felt hydrated for the first time since i permed my hair!!! it was soft and strong! I was amazed. Both times I left it in my hair for 20-30 minutes after shampooing. And then i deep conditioned with Aussie 3 minute DEEEP after washing it out. I didn't use the nexxus shampoo and conditioner per the directions but still used a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.

Emergencee worked better than any of the other deep conditioners that I bought in an attempt to save my hair. If i had only known about this before spending $$$$$$ on all those deep conditioners, i would have saved a lot of money and had much better hair.

I just wished that it was cheaper and came in bigger bottles. I know that some reviewers found really big bottles but i can't seem to find it anywhere! It's hard enough to find the small bottle (kmart, target, ulta, all did not have it). But for what it's done for my hair, i'd gladly pay $15 for the small bottle.

on 6/15/2007 11:12:00 AM

This is the best protein reconstructer that I have ever used!

Two weeks ago my long, platinum blonde hair was so dry, damaged and brittle that it was breaking and even after a flat iron it looked frizzy and course. I've always use good products on my hair- redken, kerastase, Biolage etc but my hair has been triple processed (that's bleached 3 times ladies, I like it white, lol), relaxed (which is soooooo bad, don't do it!), and heat styled (I always flat iron my hair) that I had pretty much given up on it ever looking good and I was just waiting for it to grow longer so I could hack it off : (

After the breakage started to occur I thought that I needed to at least try a protein reconstructor. I've used the redken antisnap before, but I had never tried Nexxus. So I got the Emergencee reconstructor as well as the super moisturizing shampoo and conditioner (therapee or whatever its called, it smells like pina coloda).

You are supposed to shampoo your hair, put on the reconstructor, leave it on for a few minutes, then shampoo again and then put on conditioner. Because protein treatments acually dry hair out you need to put that conditioner on for at least 10 minutes- if your hair is really fried, the longer the better. Like some of the other reviewers, I have also found that the reconstructor works even better the longer it's left on...20 minutes is great, then leave the conditioner on for another 20.

My results were miraculous! My hair went from looking like a dried out horses tail to being smooth, SOFT and shiny! My hair was sooooo soft, it was great! And I got a lot of comments on how great it looks!

Note: I also tried the reconstructor with Biolage moisture mask (their super deep conditioner, I can't remember the name) and it works EVEN BETTER with this stuff!!!! So try it girls!

Top Rated Nexxus Products