The Body Shop Body Butter Shea

4.1

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

from Amazon.com: Water (Solvent/Diluent), Shea Butter (Butyrospermum Parkii) (Emollient), Cocoa (Theobroma Cacao) Butter (Emollient), Cyclomethicone (Emollient), Glycerin (Humectant), Glyceryl Stearate (Emulsifier), PEG-100 Stearate (Surfactant), Cetearyl Alcohol (Emulsifier), Babassu (Orbignya Oleifera) Oil (Emollient), Beeswax (Emulsifier/Emollient), Lanolin Alcohol (Stabiliser/Emollient), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Fragrance (Fragrance), Methylparaben (Preservative), Propylparaben (Preservative), Xanthan Gum (Viscosity Modifier), Benzyl Alcohol (Preservative), Disodium EDTA (Chelating Agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster), Caramel (Colour), F D & C Yellow No 5 (Colour).

on 1/26/2009 1:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

i love this moisturiser its the only one that truly soothes my dry skin and prevents it from looking crepey, i.e the hands and feet especially!! i love the scent its not overpowering in my opinion as cocoa butter. im not that keen on smellin of chocolate. but this reallly does moisturise and is very rich!! a little goes a long way, the tub lasts me very long. pretty basic packaging cant complain.

on 1/13/2009 4:55:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

Excellent moisturiser! It leaves my skin well-hydrated and soft. But I really don't like the jar packaging… I prefer bottles and tubes, which are much more convenient to use. Also, the strong scent might prevent me from purchasing again...

Ingredients: Aqua (Water) (Solvent/Diluent), Butyrospermum parkii (Shea Butter) (Emollient), Cyclomethicone (Emollient), Theobroma cacao (Cocoa Butter) (Emollient), Glycerin (Humectant), Glyceryl Stearate (Emulsifier), PEG-100 Stearate (Surfactant), Cetearyl Alcohol (Emulsifier), Cera Alba (Beeswax) (Emulsifier/Emollient), Orbignya oleifera (Babassu Oil) (Emollient), Lanolin Alcohol (Stabiliser/Emollient), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Parfum (Fragrance), Methylparaben (Preservative), Propylparaben (Preservative), Xanthan Gum (Viscosity Modifier), Benzyl Alcohol (Preservative), Disodium EDTA (Chelating Agent), Linalool (Fragrance Ingredient), Coumarin (Fragrance Ingredient), Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone (Fragrance Ingredient), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Butylphenyl Methylpropional (Fragrance Ingredient), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster), Citronellol (Fragrance Ingredient), Citral (Fragrance Ingredient), Geraniol (Fragrance Ingredient), Eugenol (Fragrance Ingredient), Caramel (Colour), CI 19140 (Colour).

on 1/9/2009 8:50:00 AM

This is my favorite among the TBS body butters, and with good reasons too.

This body butter has a rich but not overwhelming scent, at least not to me. I don't have to worry about smelling too strongly of this product because I only use it before bed. It is capable of keeping my limbs smooth and moisturized without being shiny or oily the whole of the next day. One special thing I've noted about this body butter is that though the packaging says that the product is intended for VERY DRY SKIN, I find that my skin, which is just a little dry at the limbs, react very well with this body butter. I've had better experience with this than the Craneberry, Mango, Coconut, Moroccan Rose, Pink Grapefruit and Papaya body butters, not saying that those are not good, but one figures that they should have been more suitable for my skin, considering they are meant for NORMAL to DRY skin. All in all, TBS body butters have exceptional moisturizing properties and you definitely want to take some time to sample them in the store.

This has been my HG product since using it three years back. Not a day of dry elbows or knees since then. Acts as an excellent foot moisturizer too, though a little too thick for my hands.

Another thing which sets this product apart from the others is the texture and fluidity of the moisturizer. With other TBS fruit body butters, they tend to run in the container especially when I travel, getting everywhere, onto the lids, onto the packaging itself when I open them, and onto bedsheets when sometimes I use a little too much. As you can see, the tub doesn't really make for the neatest or most hygienic packaging (thus 3 stars for packaging), but I never experience this problem with the Shea body butter. This one in particular is less fluid, and more balm like especially in the winters, creamy during the summers. It never ever runs, not even when I carry this around, and the entire lid is clean of any traces of grease. It's really convenient because I can scoop up a very precise amount of the product and disperse them onto my skin with my hands, unlike with the fruit body butters where I find that I have to dip my fingers into the tub a few times to get the amount I want, contaminating the product in the process and getting the product stuck in my fingernails. This reason alone makes the Shea body butter my favourite among the lot.

One tub of this lasts me a little less than three months, though my mother has been using hers in spare amounts for almost one year, and if you're wondering, the product still stays in top quality. I find that the price is reasonable, considering the amount and quality of the product you'll getting.

on 12/26/2008 10:47:00 PM

THIS PRODUCT IS AMAZING. I used to use Bath & Body works but discovered the body shop on a class field trip. First, I don't understand what other people are talking about when they are complaining about a "perfume smell"... they must be reviewing a different body butter, because the smell of this is VERY faint... a very faint vanilla-like smell, which I absolutely adore. It keeps my hands and feet moisturized in the bitter midwest winter (and they usually crack open and bleed).
People have been complaining about price. This is what I have to say about this: the body shop aims at improving humanity. Buying this particular product, for example, helps to ensure work for a single mother in Ghana, Africa. I will gladly pay twice the price to do such a good service to others (and I'm a poor college kid!!) So they don't inflate prices for no reason. I forget all that they do, but the biggest ones in my opinon are fair trade and no animal testing!!
You won't be sorry about this purchase... every time I put it on I know that i'm getting excellent moisturization, saving precious animals, and providing work for women in Africa! I will NEVER go back to bath and body works again.

on 12/18/2008 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I swim everyday. I have to use heavy duty creams for my legs and arms in winter. Shea body butter works for my need. I like the clean smell too. However, it is too expensive as a body cream. I finished a container within one month. I am still looking for a cheaper heavy duty body cream. I won't buy it because of the price.

on 11/18/2008 7:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Great for my extremely dry legs! Worked wonders for me.

I bought this shea butter mainly to keep in my purse for moisturizing my hands. This shea butter makes my hands feel like butter. It also smells really good. The cream is pretty thick and it takes no time to soak into your skin. The scent is also very light and not overwhelming. The shea butter also contains Vitamin and E to help protect and moisturize your skin.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I have really dry skin that becomes very tight and flaky if not moisturized. This was recommended by the shop staff to be good for dry skin and i chose this over Cocoa Butter as this reminds me of the smell of Lavender Vanilla Milk. The texture is quite soft in my humid weather thus more creamy but when i used this in the autumn cooler climate it has a more balmy feel, not so liquid... maybe it is the cream solidifying? Anyway, it hydrates very well, there is no shiny look nor residue as the body butter totally absorbs into the skin. It prevent me from feeling dry for a good 8 hours but it did not work up well enough to the dry air in the air cabin. I may use this on a daily basis as a tub (200ml) looks to be able to last me about a month but use an oil for flights to reduce dryness...

on 9/24/2008 7:39:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Doesn't moisturise as well as the brazil nut but smells a whole lot nicer. Not as pungent. However, it is not greasy and sinks into the skin without leaving a top film. Skin feels somewhat soft too but nothing amazing.

on 9/23/2008 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I decided to review this product because I'm at the bottom of my second tub and am going to get my third tub this week.

I am terribly fickle and hardly ever finish a bottle/tub let alone repurchase. So actually finishing my second tub of the shea body butter is saying something! I love the waxy texture and how it melts when it touches my skin.

I got both this and the Cocoa Body Butter, but didn't like the Cocoa butter smell (it was terrible, would make me nauseous in the hot humid summer weather). So I switched to the Shea butter.

My body skin is very dry, especially in winter where my legs used to get so dry I wouldn't be able to flex my foot it hurt so much. Since then I have gotten over my teenage fear of rich moisturisers (for the body at least) and have been experimenting with different body creams over the last few years.

The packaging works great for me. I like the tub where I can scoop out a large amount of cream instead of trying to squeeze it out or squirt pump after pump. It also means I go through about a tub a month.

I've taken one lippy off because I still don't like the smell and because although it does moisturise my skin I feel it doesn't moisturise it as much as I would want a body cream to.

Am going to repurchase for the second time (my third tub!).

Top Rated The Body Shop Products