Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray

3.5

Water, Magnesium Sulfate, Macrocystis Pyrifera (Kelp) Extract, Ascophyllum Nodosum Extract, Isoceteth-20, Citric Acid, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Citronellol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Linalool, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Fragrance

on 4/19/2010 5:22:00 PM

I have naturally wavy hair, but it's not very consistent. Sometimes it will be wildly kinky, and other days, half my head will decide it wants to be straight. This has succeeded in giving me beachy waves, but only through the methods I talk about below. There is a distinct smell to this, but nothing horrendous. Smells like the beach, TBH. It is quite drying, so I don't recommend that you use this every day, unless you use something really hydrating with it (leave in conditioner, morrocan oil, etc.) Quite expensive ($30 CDN) but I would purchase again. In terms of packaging, it's a nice, sleek black bottle, but you won't be able to tell how much is left unless you give it a shake. Also, there is no lid to cover the pump, so you risk spritzing the inside of your bag.

Wet hair:
Wrap hair in towel/air dry until hair is barely damp. Try and squeeze out as much water as possible, hair must be ALMOST dry. Spritz all over, and scrunch with your hands. To finish, spray some product into your palms and scrunch through hair. Try and avoid your roots. To reactivate later, spritz water into your hair, or wet your hands with water, and scrunch again. You can reapply Surf Spray if you want.

Dry hair:
Spritz all over hair and twist/clip/tie it into a tight bun. Wait a couple of hours, and release. To reactivate, wet your hands and scrunch through hair, or reapply spray.

on 4/9/2010 3:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I think I'd buy this again, but after reading other reviews I may have to try some other brands. Things I like about this product are that it lasts a long time, the texture that it gives to my super fine straight hair and the packaging because you really don't have to worry about it leaking (in my experience) or breaking in a bag. My main problem with this given the price (which I now can't remember but know it was questionable at the time) is that I feel I have to use a lot of it, apply and reapply to get results and then finish with a finishing spray. I guess it's most likely just my hair (it sucks) lol...oh well :/ I loved this in college when I didn't want to do my hair but didn't want to look like a complete scrub in class!

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is great...gives volume to my fine/limp hair. It is pretty expensive for the size, but I got it from my mom so I guess it doesn't matter! :)

but seriously, really adds volume which I so need. You can use a lot or a little and it lasts all day.

on 3/24/2010 2:45:00 PM

This stuff knocks my socks off! I LOVE IT!
A little goes a long way -- don't use too much or yeah, you'll pull off a perfect medusa Halloween costume.
I spray once on each side and once in the back and have insta-volume!
I can imagine this would work well with updo's as it provides a "hold"

on 3/12/2010 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I should say that I don't own this product, but my hairdresser used it on me. I love B&B products: I have a myriad of styling products in addition to shampoo and conditioner from this company. My hairdresser sprayed thickening spray throughout my shoulder-length, wavy layered hair, and then sprayed surf spray all over and let it dry under the dryer for about 15 min. When I was done, I looked like Medusa. Really, it just made my hair a big mess.

I love what happens to my hair when it dries after a day at the beach, but this wasn't the same thing. As soon as I left the salon, I finger-combed out the mess as best I could, and it now looked like a frizzy, slightly more tame mess. My hair felt dry and dull.

I think this might work for someone with fine, straight, limp hair. Not for me!

on 3/6/2010 4:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I spent a semester in Australia a couple years ago, and quickly found that my wavy, thick hair really doesn't like living in a humid climate. After going through a number of balms, hairsprays and straightening gels, I gave up on taming and bought this (for something like $50AU!). This works so well to create beachy, Gisele-esque waves, and gives a bit of hold and clean, matte texture. Also, it smells amazing (God I miss living by the beach!).

on 2/10/2010 2:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

So kudos to B&B to be one of the first to popularize the sea water surf spray product. It gives a wonderful piecey beachy look, and can easily be layered with their thickening spray for a more bed head style. I have found however, that Fekkai's wave sprays do a much better job. The B&B surf spray tends to get a little sticky and also the sprtizer easily gets clogged. I need to use it cautiously and/or spray it just on to a brush or I easily end up with hair that's way too sticky and textured/matte.

on 2/8/2010 6:58:00 PM

This spray smelled good and I wanted to love it because I love Bumble & Bumble, but I was disappointed. It didn't do anything that Sunsilk Waves of Envy spray cannot do and Sunsilk is much cheaper. I won't buy this again. But I love the Styling spray!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I love this product for my curly/wavy hair. I don't like the look of smooth, perfect, "pretty" hair...and this product give me beachy/bed-head/sexy hair. I use MOP curl defining cream and then diffuse my hair till it's dry and then spray the B&B Surf Spray into my hands and work it into my hair, and it takes away shine and gives my hair a rougher look which I love! The only thing that I don't like is the metal spray nozzle makes an annoying noise when I spray it. It is expensive for the amount you get, but I haven't found anything else that works as good. I'm almost out so i will be repurchasing another one soon.

on 1/11/2010 2:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is a really good product for my fine hair. Adds body and volume, but I mostly use it in the summer when I like that messy feeling. I find that it works best on dry hair and I use it sparingly since my hair can get really greasy. I don't like the smell though, it's very weird but fades quickly. The rubber bottle is cool and easy to carry in your bag. I think the price is fair since it lasts for ages and really delivers great results. I'm on my second bottle and when I run out, I will try the Philip B. surf spray since it'll give me some more moisture, according to my stylist.

EDIT 5/21/2013:
I use both this and the Philip B spray at the moment, and while B&b delivers slightly more volume and hold (contains more sea salt) I think I prefer Philip B since it feels "safer" and less drying. But I do like to have this original surf spray on hand, as long as I don't use it too often.

Top Rated Bumble & Bumble Products