Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner (All Shades)

3.9

cyclopentasiloxane, propylsilsesquioxane, ceresin, isodecane, cyclohexasiloxane, caprylyl methicone, synthetic fluorphlogopite, silica silyate, disteardimonium hectorite, disodium stearoyl glutamate, propylene carbonate, candelilla wax, caprylyl glycol, aluminum hydroxide, calcium sodium borosilicate, calcium aluminum borosilicate, silica, tin oxide. [ ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499/iron oxides, mica, ci 77491/titanium dioxide, ci 77007/ultramarines, ci 77510/ferric ferrocyanide, ci 77288/chromium oxide greens, ci 77289/chromium hydroxide green, ci 77742/manganese violet, ci 42090/blue 1 lake, ci 19140/yellow 5 lake, ci 77510/ferric ammonium ferrocyanide]

on 1/3/2011 11:09:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is just okay. I've heard great things about the Wet N Wild one but blew it off 'cause it looked cheap. Well I was wrong. Out of the two this one is the "bad" one. The color pay off of the Maybelline one is just lousy. It's supposed to be a black but all I get is a soft black, almost grey, color from it. It also smears easily. While this would be "ok" for a natural look, I wouldn't buy it again due to this.

It's good but not great. I bought mine in Blackest Black. It comes with a not-so-fine brush that seems a little tricky but it's workable. At first, I really liked it but, after a while, the product began to dry in the bottle and the brush went from neat to messy. The liner itself was not as smooth as I wanted it to be since it was a gel eyeliner... but the results were good and pigmented.

on 1/2/2011 12:35:00 AM

I bought the black color in October and have used it off and on since. I liked the brush a lot then, but since then the bristles have gotten less firm and it is harder to apply. The color isn't the most intense I've tried (Wet N Wild's cream eyeliner is definitely darker) but I think it goes on smoothly and stays on well especially if you use a primer.

on 1/1/2011 11:01:00 PM

i have this in black and the color is not as intense or smooth as i wanted. i find it hard to get a smooth application (no gaps) unless i use A LOT of product which then makes it smudge so much more than it already does. i tried using it with a primer under it but it still smudged. by the end of a 5 hour party i had spotty fading and smudges under my eyes. also made my brush extremely stiff after using it. i think bobbi brown or mac fluidline is a better buy bc one pot will alst you a while and save you money on primers and stress from smudging

on 1/1/2011 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I actually have a spare of this on hand in black, and for giggles I bought the eggplant version to play around with. This eyeliner is very richly pigmented, and lasts all day. After a long day, it still looks perfect. Sometimes I even fall asleep in it and I wake up still lined.

This is very comparable to MACs fluid line for an eyeliner. You can't easily use it for an eyeshadow base like I used MACs, though.

Very cost conscious dupe.

on 1/1/2011 8:45:00 AM

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I've been using this for over a year and I love it! I've been interested in gel liners since Bobbi Brown came up with hers but I couldn't make myself spend that much. I bought this the moment I saw it at the Maybelline counters (about $8 where I live).

It comes with its own brush. It's a small, very useful brush which I am able to use for both fine and thick lines. I've used this for my upper lid (over the lashes and also tightlining under the lashes) and also for my lower lid.

The gel will take a few seconds to dry, which is good for when you want to smudge it for a smokey eye. Just take care not to blink too much so you don't get any on the crease of your eyelid. It is very pigmented (I have this in black) and after it dries it will basically stay on all day. I've never had this run on me and generally if I wear this I can forget about it for the rest of the day. I have oily/combination skin plus I do tend to touch my face so there is a tiny tiny bit of smudging by the end of the day (past the 8-hour mark), nothing that a quick swipe under my eyes won't fix. That's really good performance in my book.

The downside to the long-lasting performance is that it can be difficult to remove, but that's an acceptable exchange for me. Also it started drying up after a year (I heard other gel eyeliners are the same). I found a recommendation to submerge the whole pot in a cup of hot water for 15 minutes, and that fixed it.

I'm not even a quarter through the pot but if I ever run out will definitely repurchase. I have this in black so I also plan to try out the brown.

on 1/1/2011 7:42:00 AM

I was tired of using pencil eyeliner and saw that this product was on sale and gave it a try. I absolutely LOVE it! It goes on easily and just the smallest amount is enough. The only con about it is the brush that comes with it. I personally don't think that it's the best brush, so I use a slant brush to apply this product. Overtime, this product may smudge (i.e. from sweating or having this product on for long hours). But on a daily basis, I would say this is one of the best eyeliners I have ever tried.

on 1/1/2011 3:49:00 AM

I got this in China summer 2009 when it wasnt out in NA yet, and it was cheaper than NA.
I never wear eye primers so maybe that is why by the end of the day my bottom eyelines look so dark!

on 12/31/2010 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I don't give many solid 5 ratings and this is a solid 5! This eyeliner is incredibly pigmented, easy to use, stays in place and comes in a variety of fun and classic colors.
I do not care much for the brush provided, it's a good size and does okay but I found it just didn't grab enough product.

These are very comparable to MAC fluidlines, and much more affordable. You don't get as much in these jars, but at $7.50 I still think it is a better option for cash conscious shoppers. (Update) Ok the weights on these products are the same, 3 gram, but if I look at it side by side I still don't see how the Maybelline one has the same amount of product in it. But there ya go...

My one piece of advice is make sure you have a good makeup remover because soap and water will not remove these entirely. I swatched these earlier and I have scrub my hands vigorously 3 times and it is still dark on my hands.

Update: Okay after some wear I have to say I might shave off half a lippy only because the formula is so much dryer then the MAC Fluidline. You can still get good coverage, but you have to work a little harder at it. not a big deal but if you have shaky hands like I do, the more time I spend on my eyes, the more time I have to muck it up. I still think this is a great low cost alternative to MAC, but there is a slight down grade in quality.

on 12/26/2010 8:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral

this is a great gel liner! it's very creamy and very pigmented colour! (I have the one in Blackest black) I also love the brush it comes with and the liner glides like a dreamm! it's very good!

Video Reviews & Tutorials