Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Corn Starch Modified, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Mica, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), Cyclohexasiloxane, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone. May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491(Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

on 3/25/2007 4:30:00 PM

Okay so I bought this about 2 days ago after reading many of the Rave reviews on the boards about this. I have to say I am Undecided about this. Perhaps I was expecting miracles or something or I had hyped it up too much. I was previously using Clinique clarifying makeup but wanted to try something new.

This product does go easily, doesnt feel cakey, blends well. It does not cover old acne scars as well as I was expecting though. I guess I thought this would be more full coverage???

Anyways I will give it a try but I am not totally "wowed" by this as many other ppl seem to be and it is $$ for something that isnt totally awesome

on 3/21/2007 8:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This was my first MUFE item and I was very excited to try it. The coverage is medium to full, and the finish is very smooth and matte. I love the squeeze bottle, it helps conserve this (pretty) expensive foundation and is also very sanitary. I found it covered many of my blemishes and discoloration. However, I still needed concealer with it. You do not need alot of product but I do recommend blending very quickly because it dries very quickly on your face. I try to exfoliate twice a week and moisturize with a heavy moisturizer before applying Mat Velvet+. If not, YOU WILL SEE FLAKES. I had a hard time making this work, but I finally did. I use Cetaphil's moisturizing cream, then immediately follow with MAC's Prep + Prime and right after I spread the foundation across my face and buff in with my MAC 187 brush, use Laura Mercier's Secret Camouflage concealer and set with Laura Mercier's Translucent Powder. My skin looks lovely, completely flawless and matte. Even after 6 hours and NO touch ups, my skin is STILL matte (Can you believe it?!). One thing I LOVE about this foundation is that it doesn't oxidize like many foundations do on my oily skin. However, if you do see flakes, you NEED a heavier moisturizer and you NEED to exfoliate. Overall, Mat Velvet+ is definitely worth the money, and gives me the coverage and finish I need. Plus no breakouts! Yay !!

I wear this in #40, and am usually a MAC NC25/C3, GA 5.5, and LM TM in Nude.

on 3/21/2007 1:40:00 PM

Hate it! Especially that curved spatula thing that serves absolutely NO purpose but to get in the way and slop foundation all over everything. I'm glad to see that the person who designed the MUFE spatula has gone on to bigger and better things and is now apparently planning strategy in the Iraqi war situation. As for the foundation itself, yuck! The color match starts out perfect, but winds up patchy and dark in areas after a while. Dries too quickly to blend well. (And I need extra blending time since I'm having to juggle the dreaded dripping spatula with the other hand.) I agree about the chalky look too. I just look ill wearing this.

on 3/20/2007 11:48:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I’m glad I’m not the only one who questions the validity of the “mattifying” claims this foundation has. I know I have slightly oily skin but I thought there must be something seriously wrong with my skin if the oilies can break through after a few hours!! As long as you take the mattifying claims with a grain of salt, this is a pretty good foundation. Expensive, but good. I learned the hard way this morning that a little bit of this stuff goes a long way, which is true for most of MUFE’s foundations and concealers. I put a blob on my makeup sponge and just about had to go down my neck to get all of it off! I really like the tube-tip container, it’s sanitary and makes it easier to dispense. I also like how soft and velvety my skin feels when I use it. All in all this is a good choice and even though I’ll probably try another brand next time I buy foundation, I can see myself coming back to this.

on 3/5/2007 11:06:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I don't know about its mattifying claim... I'm oily but not extremely oily, and this foundation keeps me matte for about an hour, then even with the Monistat primer underneath, I get oily.
Coverage is OK, medium I'd say, I still have to use concealer on my post-acne marks so it's definitely not full coverage.

on 3/2/2007 7:56:00 PM

WOW! This is now my new HG! I was using Body&Soul foundation because it was the only foundation the matched my yellow skintone. Although it matched my skin the 2n1 powder broke my out but foundation stick did not and also it did not do anything for the oil on my face. BUT this DOES! This stuff is awesome! It matches my skin and controls the oil and does not break me out! Here is the list of foundations that I've bought and did not work out for me because of either color, it irritated my skin, or clogged my pores(eww zits/bumps): Chanel Double Perfection Compact, Chanel Double Perfection Liquid, Laura Mercier Compact Foundation, Shiseido Hydro Liquid Compact, NARS Powder Foundation Revlon Colorstay, Revlon SkinLights Diffusing Tint Foundation, Max Factor Compact, MAC Studio Fix Powder Foundation, Prescriptives Powderful, Prescriptives Exact Match foundation, Cargo Oil Free Foundation, L'Oreal Feel Perfect Compact, Biotherm Sense Matte Foundation, IMAN Second to None Powder Foundation, Maybelline Pure Makeup, Maybelline True Illusion (compact and liquid), and Maybelline Wonder Finish

on 3/1/2007 4:04:00 PM

While I chose the wrong color, this is still a good product and I can imagine that it would be GREAT if I had the right color. For now I'll just stick with the Face and Body.

As for the spatula, I figured its purpose was to allow the product to drip in a controlled manner onto the fingers, sponge, etc, without contaminating the rest of the bottle with bacteria. I actually liked the spatula.

on 2/23/2007 11:29:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I got this once I saw it in Sephora's newest catalog. I'm always looking for a perfect mattifying foundation with a good yellow undertone for my Asian skin. (My sister thinks I'm obsessive!) Lasting power is also important to me, since I've been using Revlon's Colorstay with Softflex. I like the squeeze bottle and the mattifying formula. Luckily it doesn't make my skin look dry. I have an oily T-Zone and yesterday I wore this to work (6am-5pm) it looked great, didn't even powder once. I use primer underneath, which helps give it slip, otherwise, it may not blend very well on unmoisturized skin. Love the staying power, goes well with the Full Coverage concealor. Too bad they don't have SPF anymore. Claims to be water resistant so I tested it by working out at home with the makeup on. When I dabbed my skin with a towel, there was almost no transfer and no sliding goo on my face anywhere.

on 1/26/2007 6:31:00 AM

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH Sharpeijowls, what is that spatula thing for ? Uhhh, maybe so you can waste some of this and have to buy more sooner ? Anyhow... I like a full coverage foundation. I was told this was the best and found a perfect color match for my olive skin. ( #2 ) I was very surprised that this stuff has NO staying power ! I have normal skin with maybe a tiny bit of dryness when the weather here in PA is cold. This feels like having a light coating of grease on my face ??? It wore off quickly and did not have a good coverage at all. I tried it over primer, under primer, without primer, with concealer, without... blah blah blah.. It is just bad stuff. Even with my normal poweder over it, it just has a greasy feel on and I do not have oily skin. I would never buy this again.

I can't really put my finger on exactly what it is I don't like about this foundation. Well, that little spatula thing is horrible, so that I can be specific about. What is the deal with that little spatula? I use my fingers to apply my liquid foundation and I like to tip the bottle to get just a little foundation on my finger and work from there. Impossible with this setup. The spatula is just in the way, and what the hell do I do with it after I open the bottle. I just want to tip my little foundation bottle on my finger like I always do, but no, I've got this awkward dripping spatula to deal with. The foundation itself I'm more vague about. I don't exactly hate it, but I don't like it either. It dries very quickly and is not easy to blend because of that. Also, it just does not make my skin look better, which is what I kind of want my foundation to do when I drop $37 on it. It looks almost chalky, and I have combo skin, so dry folks need not apply. Plus the color seems to go muddy after a while. I don't know - all I can tell you is this is just not a flattering foundation for me. I'm taking it back. Update: Okay, I gave it another try. It's official. I hate it! Just makes my skin look like this awful dingy mud-colored mess. Definitely going back.