Honey

4.4

Price: $

Price: $

Honey, propolis (some versions)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

After doing some research (watching videos, reading the blogs, consulting MUA, acne.org etc), I decided to embrace ACV toning. After enjoying the results from that, I took the plunge and went au naturale with my skin care- I currently wash my face with raw honey, tone with ACV (my skin can handle it straight, but I seem to read frequently that a 1:1 ratio is popular. I did mine with green tea for two weeks and had no bad results), and moisturize with two to three drops of jojoba oil after dampening my face slightly with water (helps spread it).

I love the use of honey! I have been using honey since September 12th, 2012 (I had to look at my prior reviews to make sure; today is 10/17/2012), and the results have been great. My skin looks fuller, more even, and is less stripped after washing with honey. This is not a miracle cure however, as I have been using it for a month and a week, but IT IS helping and that in itself is enough for me to keep using it.

What I do is slightly dampen my face (this helps with spreading- don't leave too much water on your face or the honey will drip), and then I scoop up say...two teaspoons or so of honey and slather it on and let it sit. Sometimes I just wash and rinse if I'm short on time, which works well too. Afterwards, if it's in the morning or something and I'm getting ready for class/whatever I'm doing, I just go about my business; I'll make food, get my stuff together, pick out an outfit, and then go rinse. My face does not look red or dry, and it does not break out (I will caveat that with I do get pimples, but maybe one or two VERY small ones rarely...like once or twice a month if that).

I find that honey helps with healing any blemishes I have, and I believe in combination with the ACV toner and jojoba oil has eliminated the white heads on my forehead. I also like to run my hands through my hair after using the jojoba oil on my face because it helps with frizz.

I currently use "Y.S. Eco Bee Farms Wholesome Health Raw Honey". It comes in a clear container with a yellow lid. The honey is not clear at all, has the enzymes, vitamins etc, and is yellowish in color. I find the taste is better too (I like to mix mine with tea). I bought it at Sprouts for I believe $8. My only complaint is it is in a tub, but it does not leak so it isn't too bothersome.

Skin care for me is a trial and error process. Do your research, test new products, and be patient. All natural methods may not work for everyone, but it certainly doesn't hurt to try. For people who suffer from pimples/acne in general, I feel like trying a new product is a chance you should take. Don't give up. You truly have everything to gain if a product does end up working for you.

Update 2/06/2013: Ultimately I had to quit using honey on my face because it was not strong enough for my skin to keep me from breaking out. While I enjoyed the glow I would get from it after using it, it was not effective enough for me. Perhaps manuka honey may be a better bet for people looking to use honey.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

I can't say enough good things about honey! I generally have good skin however, I tend to get spots of surface redness from time to time. I usually get them under my nose and on my cheeks. They come and go mostly from exercising and/or being outdoors in the wind and cold. I find nothing really helps my redness out in the skincare world. so, out of curiosity, I slathered plain old honey on my face during a red spell and left it on for 30 minutes. After I rinsed, I was amazed to see the red spots were gone! My face was so calm and smooth!

on 9/27/2012 4:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

My god, I can't say enough good things about honey. I've been using cheap generic brand honey (plan to upgrade to raw honey once I'm out of that, as I've heard it works better) as a face mask 15 to 20 minutes each day, morning and night. I just go on my computer and satisfy my internet addiction while I let it do the work. My breakouts are nearly gone: I used to have anywhere from 1 to 4 angry big bright red pimples on my face at any given time, and now I have PERFECT skin with no blemishes aside from an itty bitty red spot or two that lasts a few hours instead on rare occasions. I've been doing this for a month now and for the most part, I've weaned myself off of harsh cleansers. My skin is less oily and more radiant. I don't even feel the need to wear foundation anymore! I do use BB cream, but only for the SPF. This is the skin I've always wanted... I'm officially done looking for new cleansers to try.

It smells good, tastes good, and yes, it's messy, but the effects are great. I have no complaints at all. Highly recommended, PROVIDED YOU ARE NOT ALLERGIC TO BEES.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Honey is great if you want a pretty soothing, hydrating facial every so often. I find it works best as a once a week scrub. I just combine some honey and brown sugar and rub in gently on my face. It leaves my skin softer and glowy. :) It also does not break you out! Try to get organic or raw honey though.

on 9/19/2012 1:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My two cents will probably be buried within this page, but I thought I should tell everyone what an EXCELLENT spot treatment honey is when combined with turmeric. I dab a bit of organic, raw honey on my zits, then put a little turmeric on top, and the zit stays small and continues getting smaller within days. Usually when I get zits, they grow steadily in sized, get super red and inflamed and in general hard to conceal, and then finally develop into gnarly whiteheads that are just an eyesore on my face.

I leave the spot treatment on overnight, and during the day if I'm not doing anything, I'll put it on during the day as well. It stains a little bit if you only wash it off with water, but since you only have it on your zits, it's not too noticeable on my warm, yellow-toned Asian skin. If you're pale, however, it might be more obvious. I've tried to use everything for spot treatments: those benzoyl peroxide gels, clay masks, turmeric by itself, honey by itself...none have given me the results that honey has.

I also use honey also in turmeric and honey masks and every morning after I wash my face. I'm even tempted to take the leap into washing my face solely with honey! It really is a miracle worker.

on 9/6/2012 12:17:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

I can't say enough good things about honey. Honey has been used for thousands of years as an antibacterial agent. When my son was growing up, whenever he had a cut or an infection, I would clean it, spread honey on it, cover it with a bandage, and without fail it would heal quickly and easily. (Fun fact: a study published a couple of years ago in JAMA showed honey was EQUAL to chemical antibacterial agents used in and after surgery to prevent infection. How awesome is that?) I also use it as a masque several times a week. I have skin that likes to break out, and the antibacterial properties of honey keeps breakouts at bay and leaves me with soft, glowing skin. It also works great as a natural hair conditioner, and can be combined with eggs to soften hair. Finally, of course, raw natural honey tastes delish and can be used in place of processed sweeteners for cooking or topping. It is FULL of vitamins and so good for you, inside and out. Yum! The only problem.. whenever I try to use it as a lip exfoliator (combine with sugar), or a lip masque (just use it plain), I end up licking it off because it's so tasty. My bad.

on 8/30/2012 10:59:00 AM

I basically just spread it all over my face after i got back from work and leave it on while i'm watching TV (probably about 1- 1.5 hour) and then I take a shower and wash it.
I've been doing this for a 9 days (everyday) now and my skin is brighter than i ever remember, my face is less oily, and it does not broke me out. I will use it everyday FOREVER!

on 8/10/2012 2:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Last night for the first time I went out and bought a small jar of raw honey at Whole foods for about $11.35, and some organic Turmeric powder. I cleansed my face and mixed a tblsp of honey, and a *pinch* of Turmeric, mixed together and applied to my face, I let it sit for about 40 mins and rinsed off. After, I used my normal fresh squeezed lemon juice w/ a splash of water as a toner. WOW! GIRLS AND BOYS TAKE NOTE! My skin literally feels and looks better then it ever has. I am now 20 years old and used to suffer with acne, and now getting over it. This is amazing. Stop using harsh chemical products.

on 7/31/2012 2:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Honey. Yes, honey. I simply juust apply honey to my face as a cleanser and it works perfectly. At night, I leave it on for 2 hours then I massage my face and rinse it off with warm water then rub an ice cube all over my face to tighten and close my pores. The first few times honey might not make a difference to your skin, but if you begin to apply it every day then your skin will just brighten up and look sooo healthy. It doesn't really help my acne go away, but it does help prevent new ones from popping up. Anyways, honey is a godsend! Thank the lord for bees!

on 7/17/2012 9:31:00 PM

I have currently re-vamped my skin care routine to only include the following three items: raw honey, coconut oil, and baking soda.

I use coconut oil in the morning as a moisturizer, in the evening as a make-up remover (works like a dream for even the stubborn-est of eye makeup), followed by my raw honey as a cleanser, and more coconut oil as a moisturizer. I'll use the baking soda 1-2x a week over the honey when I'm ready to wash off as an exfoliant.

Let's get to the star of the show: RAW HONEY! This stuff has completely transformed my skin, and I no longer need to worry about bad breakouts around my time of the month - or anytime for that matter! After I take my makeup off, I rub about 2-3 tablespoons into my face and down my neck (I get bad hormonal breakouts around my jawline), and I'll leave it on while I brush my teeth. After about 5 minutes (sometimes less if I'm lazy) I'll wash it off (rubbing a little baking soda on there if I need to exfoliate). The honey comes off surprising easily, doesn't leave a sticky mess whatsoever, and leaves my face feeling baby soft.

Honey is apparently an anti-bacterial, and I suppose that's what's killing all of my nasty pimple bacteria on the reg'. I highly recommend this to anyone suffering with any hormonal acne (don't know about cystic because I've never dealt with it), but I'm sure everyone can benefit from it! I use a 100% Raw Norcal Honey purchased at Costco in Northern California. If you can, buy honey that's made locally because it can help with seasonal allergies. Awesome stuff!

When followed by organic raw coconut oil as my nightly moisturizer, my skin has never been softer and more even toned. The honey also seems to be "pushing" a lot of the sebum/buildup up to the surface of my pores, making it easier to get out - I really want to go get a extraction from a dermatologist (or maybe a few of them) to see if this helps with my blackheads. It's worth a try!

Popular Treatments (Face)