Olay Total Effects-Fragrance Free

3.7

WATER/EAU, GLYCERIN, ISOHEXADECANE, NIACINAMIDE*, DIMETHICONE, ISOPROPYL ISOSTEARATE, POLYACRYLAMIDE, ZINC OXIDE, MAGNESIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE, CAMELLIA SINENSIS LEAF EXTRACT, SORBITAN STEARATE, CETYL ALCOHOL, SUCROSE POLYCOTTONSEEDATE, C13-14 ISOPARAFFIN, PANTHENOL**, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE***, STEARYL ALCOHOL, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, DIMETHICONOL, BENZYL ALCOHOL, ETHYLPARABEN, LAURETH-7, PROPYLPARABEN, DISODIUM EDTA, PEG- 100 STEARATE, STEARIC ACID, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, METHYLPARABEN, OLETH-3 PHOSPHATE, AMMONIUM POLYACRYLATE, YELLOW 5, RED 40.

on 12/23/2007 5:28:00 AM

This is one of the few moisturizers I can actually use that doesn't make my face sting like crazy, although I have noticed that it might have been reformulated to be stronger b/c now I can actually "feel" it tingling a little when I apply it, hence the four up there. (Maybe my skin has just changed?) I have been using this stuff for about 3 years and yes it's more expensive than other drugstore brands, but damn it's worth it b/c my skin is hydrated w/out breakouts or insane irritation! I could be buying something from a department store or something for 3 times as much! I've even seen this stuff recommended by a dermatologist in a magazine for redness prone skin (along w/ the Aveeno calming cleanser).
Overall, it can feel heavy if too much is applied, but it really is a pretty gentle moisturizer compared to all the other scary burning stuff out there. EDIT- HEY folks, I'm talking about the Total Effects with NO sunscreen! I use Total Effects at night, and a chemical-free sunscreen during the day. EDIT AGAIN - I'm so pissed that Olay reformulated this. It's stronger now, and causes redness where before it calmed redness. The same goes for their "sensitive" skin lotion which used to be a staple, but now causes intense redness and burning! Damn...now what?

on 11/28/2007 10:23:00 PM

Disclaimer: I don't actually use the Olay version of this, but rather the ingredient-for-ingredient knockoff that CVS makes and sells for $4 cheaper, but as far as I'm concerned, it's the same product.

I'm almost 24, and my very sensitive skin likes to throw whatever issues it can think of at me; I had never before managed to find a facial moisturizer that didn't make me feel greasy, break out, have some sort of allergic reaction to, or all three. And even though I knew that it was a death sentence for my skin, facial sunscreen, too, was really not an option unless I wanted to look like I got back from the lepers' colony. But not this one! I LOVE this stuff. I've been using it for about 2 months now and so far no significant breakouts, just a few clogged pores here and there if I overapply. I'm now no longer experiencing face flaking in this cold New England weather, and I feel good knowing that I've got sunscreen on my face now considering I spend a couple of hours outside each day with my students. The price isn't phenominal on my meagre salary, but I've barely made a dent in the one bottle, and I like the pump dispenser, so it all evens out. This really is a find - I hadn't been able to use any kind of moisturizer at all and this not only works, but seems to be smoothing my skin out in general. I don't know if the anti-aging benefits are working yet as I'm still pretty young, but I plan to keep using this for awhile so hopefully I won't get many wrinkles anyway! :)

on 10/29/2007 1:04:00 AM

This product has been my staple for the last six years. It doesn't annoy my skin (sensitive) and gives me an instant glow! It dramatically improves my skin tone and texture the moment I put it on. It does not do much for wrinkles/crows feet as it is meant to prevent and not cure the signs of aging. I absolutely love this thing!

on 7/10/2007 5:03:00 AM

This is a great night moisturiser. It didnt cause blemishes and there is a very very light fragrance, a plasticy smell, but it is nothing to worry about. I detest moisturisers that smell like i have rubbed flowers all over my face. In the morning, it makes my face look fresh and my skin feels smooth and relaxed. There are more expensive moisturisers out there that do less. I don't believe in the anti-aging claims but I will definately buy it again!

on 7/3/2007 3:42:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I have acne-prone skin that often becomes sensitive and dry by daily usage of acne treatments like Differin. I've almost finished my second bottle now and will most definitely purchase again. What I noticed immediately was that after application, my skin looks more even-toned and softer. Definitely my acne marks have lightened much more quickly then before. The real test was when I ran out of it and decided to substitute for a week with Cetaphil moisturiser and Neutogena sunblock. My skin immediately got irritated and I started breaking out. I quickly got this again and the problems were resolved in a few days. I also like the fact that it makes my powder foundation adhere better to my skin.

on 4/19/2007 8:51:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This product has been great for me. I have combination acne-prone skin, so it's hard to find a balance between dry and oily. This moisturizer does a good job of keeping my face moisturized and smooth without breaking me out or making me an oil slick. As far as the whole anti-aging aspect, haven't noticed any improvements. Bottom line, a good non-greasy moisturizer for combo or acne-prone skin.

on 2/8/2007 1:37:00 PM

I adore this product - and this is not something that I will say very often! I truly don't think that there can be many people who have skin more sensitive than mine - I have had to be referred to a doctor on numerous occasions due to VERY severe allergic reactions (I have been house bound for days with swollen eyes and scales). I am allergic to Origins, Clarins and Estee Lauder to name but a few expensive brands.

However, this is the first cream (other than boring E45 cream and almost as boring Avene) that I haven't been allergic to in years. It smoothes on like silk, keeps my skin blemish free and leaves me glowing. Granted, the glowing effect does not last all day long, but the over all texture and condition of my skin is greatly improved. This has meant so much to me! This cream has really calmed my skin down and I am now able to wear foundation makeup and even blusher. Moreover, I saw results in the first few days.

on 1/14/2007 1:34:00 PM

I agree with one of the reviewers below about using this at night. When I use this at night I wake up with the most gorgeous complexion. I wake up with even toned skin that I have never experienced before with ANY product. However, I've learned that it is a product that seems to lose it's effectivness after a week or two of continued use so I use it on and off during the year. Once I start using it again, the beautiful even glow reappears! I'm thinking maybe my facial skin is soaking up all those vitamins initially and then maxes out on it? I have no idea how it works. I only know that it does.

on 1/13/2007 12:59:00 PM

I bought this product mainly because I was sick of spending $50++ on moisturizers and hoped this would work just as well. Honestly, this is a great moisturizer and reduces flakes & dryness. However, it never fully absorbs and by mid-day, my face ended up really greasy and shiny. Also, there was a recent study that while Olay's marketing claims it "fights 7 signs of aging," there really isn't any scientific proof that it actually does. I think I'm going to try Mario Badescu next.

on 1/9/2007 9:23:00 AM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I think this moisturizer is amazing! It is the only one I've ever tried that does not annoy my sensitive skin. I have had cheeks that resemble the surface of the moon, yet with just one use of this they calmed down dramatically. My whole face is smooth and bump free (unusual for my sensitive skin). In the winter I use it AM and PM less often in the summer. I tend to have normal to combo skin in summer and normal to slightly dry skin in winter. I am so impressed with what it has done for my skin I went out and bought several bottles BEFORE they "reformulate" it!:( I also love it for my neck and upper chest. Really smooths my skin texture there too.

Popular Moisturizers