Garnier Moisture Rescue Refreshing Gel-Cream

3.8

Aqua/Water, Glycerin, Alcohol Denat., Dimethicone, Isononyl Isononanoate, Carbomer, Dimethiconol, Chlorphenesin, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Vitis Vinifera Extract/Grapefruit Extract, Xanthan Gum, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Menthoxypropanediol, Magnesium Gluconate, Sodium Citrate, Benzyl Salicylate, Linalool, Calcium Gluconate, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, CI 19140/Yellow 5, CI 42090/Blue 1, Parfum/Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol. [September 2010]

on 5/30/2013 1:31:00 PM

I like this gel moisturizer. I found it to be a good alternative to Philosophy's gel moisturizer which is a bit too pricey for me. I'm a big fan of gel moisturizers because I have oily skin and I find that gel moisturizers keep my t-zone less oily. This moisturizer does have a strong scent, it smells fruity (almost like apples). It's the typical Garnier scent that a lot of their products have. Personally I like the scent, but if you are sensitive to smells then this is probably not for you. I put this on before my make up in the morning, but I generally do not use it both morning and evening. My face would get too dry, so I use something a bit more moisture intense at night. This is perfect for day time wear though!

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is a basic gel moisturizer. It takes the edge off of dry skin without being overly greasy. The formula is soothing--my skin was irritated from an Ole Hendrikson product and this moisture helped cool the sting and take away some of the redness. It and doesn't irritate my skin or clog my pores. However, it doesn't come close to giving my skin 24 hours of moisture; if anything, my skin feels tight again within a hour or two. It's not a bad product, but I'm probably not going to repurchase it.

on 5/29/2013 9:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I adore this moisturizer. It's hydrating and refreshing. Love the cooling effect it has.

I especially like using this product in the morning, under my makeup. My skin is baby soft and my foundation melts perfectly into my skin after using this moisturizer.

It's about $6 at my local Family Dollar. The jar is fairly small but it goes a long way.

on 5/29/2013 9:07:00 PM

Very very nice. Leaves your skin supple and glowing. Great for before putting on makeup.

on 5/25/2013 7:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I really, really love Clinique's Moisture Surge Gel Cream. I have very sensitive, acne-prone, dry/combination skin, and that is the only product I've found that moisturizes adequately without clogging my miserable pores. Unfortunately, I don't like the price ($49.50 for 2.5 ounces).

Garnier's Moisture Rescue Gel Cream is close enough, with a much better price tag ($7 for 1.7 ounces). It stings in a way that Clinique's doesn't, and the gel texture is a little less emollient than Clinique's version. Still's it's more moisturizing than NOT using it, and it also manages not to clog my pores. Win-win, I say, although I would like to try the sensitive skin version to see if it's any closer to Clinique's.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is my holy grail moisturizer, I can't believe I haven't reviewed it yet!
For reference I have maturing (31y/o), oily, acne/clog-prone skin that is also somewhat sensitive. I have a VERY difficult time finding moisturizers that don't break me out and at the same time don't make my makeup slip & slide away or oxidize.

Before finding this I'd been rotating back and fourth with Yes To Tomatoes Daily Balancing Moisturizer (which I found a little TOO hydrating for my oilyness) and Cetaphil Lotion SPF 15 (this one is also a bit overly moisturizing for my oily skin plus I wasn't a fan of "SPF 15" since I'm already wearing a separate sunscreen/Biore UV Perfect Face Milk or L'Oreal Sublime Sun Liquid Silk Shield SPF 50+)

I've been using this moisturizer and this moisturizer only for almost 2 years now and NEVER plan on switching. I've gone through 2 tubs of this version, and almost 1 full tub of the "Dry Skin" version (which I used in the winter months when I needed more moisture and have a separate review already written for)

This "original" version of the gel-cream is *just* moisturizing enough for my oily skin, wears very well under makeup, doesn't increase my oilies but gets rid of any flakes I sometimes have, and does not dry me out either (which was my concern when I purchased it due to the alcohol content) Thankfully my skin does not even notice the alcohol! &Best of all, this does NOT break me out which is a feat of it's own because so many moisturizers have given me grief over the years.

This moisturizer is definitely not for everyone though. Anyone with dehydrated skin, very dry skin, or a sensitivity to alcohol simply won't care for this. It's not quite hydrating enough if you're skin is very dry or dehydrated (which is what happened to me over the winter & why I switched to the Dry Skin version temporarily)
At night I DO use a separate moisturizer for my eye area, simply because I'm all about anti-aging now that I'm in my 30's and I know that this gel-cream is not overly hydrating. (&For my eye area I've been rotating that Yes To Tomatoes Moisturizer I mentioned above with Caudalie's Vinexpert Firming Serum))

So for me with my skintype, Garnier Moisture Rescue Gel-Cream is just heavenly! At $6 USD a tub (at WalMart this is the price I got my tubs for), it's an absolute steal. &One tub used daily lasts me around 6-7 months.
I actually decanted my last tub into a squeeze tube because I HATE sticking my fingers in that tub! Even with clean hands/fingers I still always feel like I'm contaminating the product or something! (I'm weird, I know lol ;D)
So I got myself a little pack of these mini plastic spatulas (at the art store in my area) and used one to scoop the moisturizer out of the tub and into my empty $1 squeeze tube (also from WalMart) -and now it works like a charm and I don't have to stick my fingers in a tub 2x a day :)

Overall, I do highly recommend this all the time. To friends, family, and other MUA'ers on the MakeUpBoard :) Especially recommending to anyone out there with very oily skin, and also to those out there who are like me, with troublesome/acne-prone skin.if you have a difficult time finding moisturizers that don't aggravate things further, give this $6 gel a try. My skin has never been happier since I've been using this, I'm so glad I found it :)

on 5/3/2013 10:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This humectant gel isn't the best product for my dry skin, but addresses tightness in my face after I wash it so it is somewhat moisturizing. I think I would like it better if I had oily or combination skin - especially during the summer months - because it smells good, feels light on the skin, and is cooling and refreshing. However, it contains a ton of alcohol, which is antithetical to it's purpose as a moisturizer, and it stings like mad if you get even a tiny bit in your eye, so it's definitely not all purpose and, ideally, should be used in conjunction with an eye cream. I have dry skin, and I'm more of a one-stop-shop kinda gal so I will definitely not be repurchasing.

on 4/21/2013 10:28:00 PM

This moisturizer did a descent job on my combo skin. It moisturizer well enough, although it had no SPF. So I used it up, but I probably won't buy again unless they add a sun protectant.

on 4/20/2013 11:53:00 AM

​This product goes on really nicely, cools the skin and leaves it feeling fresh and hydrated. However, I did notice that the effect does not last for very long. After a few minutes, my face would feel even tighter than before I applied it. As a result I would use a large amount every day and ended up going through a bottle in just over 2 weeks. Unfortunately it dried out my skin a lot during this time and seemed to break me out more. As the other reviewers have mentioned this product contains alcohol which may contribute to the cooling sensation but also probably contributes to the dryness. Overall would not recommend as it feels nice but dries out the skin a lot in the long run. Might work better if you have oily skin and just want something really light for the summer though.

on 4/19/2013 9:19:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Yuck! This stuff is just plain nasty. It doesn't smell good nor does it work, anyone not for me. I tried about a dime's worth and threw the rest in the trash. Garnier--your products are such a disappointment.
Don't put alcohol in your products-they just dry out you skin, hair or whatever. Nasty stuff!

Popular Moisturizers