Auric Blends Black Opium

4.4

on 10/8/2014 11:09:00 AM

I purchased this online without smelling it first, since it sounded like something I would like, and Auric Blends is hard to find locally for me. I've been keeping 80s-type scents around, if not to wear out, then at least to smell or to wear at home when I'm hanging out at night watching tv, since I do have some 80s memories that the old scents conjure up. Good ol' nostalgia.

This is in fact similar to YSL Opium, but the scent also reminds me a lot of Clairol Shimmer Lights shampoo. Powdery, spicy, sweet with a hint of patchouli is how I would describe it. The patchouli is not loud or distinct, it's more in the background. But it is a potent oil. Apply with caution, less is more with this. I like it, but I don't love it.

on 9/4/2014 5:52:00 PM

Black Opium is something I came across at a little hippie shop. It does remind me of Opium perfume, which I wore in the early 90s -- I love a little spice and this fits the bill. I like to deviate from my usual patchouli every so often, and this will be perfect for me. This is a more grown up scent than some of the "head-shoppy" ones -- maybe a bit more mature than some of the others. Would recommend.

on 7/16/2014 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I am graduating from fruity scents to warm musks. This fits the bill. I don't know what notes are in the fragrance, but the dry-down is pleasant.

on 6/15/2014 1:08:00 AM

How can you loose for $6.00 and I LOVE the real Opium, have all the summer ones but this is pretty close and you cannot beat the price, six dollars, had a time getting it, got lost in the mail they sent another one, I imagine other places sell it,no idea where, but it really does smell like Opium, and I have the summer ones too, good job who ever did this and such a great price, amazing, good double for the real Opium.

on 1/29/2013 10:01:00 PM

Okay, I think I can officially be called an Auric Blends addict now. But as far as vices go I think this is a pretty harmless one! Black Opium is my current favorite, it is warm spicy and a little sweet, perfect winter scent. I was scared at first because from the bottle it smells basically like I'm sticking my nose into an incense display, really head-shoppy and jumbled. Luckily it organizes itself into a beautiful concoction on the skin, cinnamon and clove, frankincense and patchouli smoothed out with vanilla. A hint of smoky incense remains but not enough to make people think you've been passin around the ol' peace pipe all day. This is stronger than the other Auric Blends in my collection. The first day I wore it I put on my usual amount for perfume oils. I had a stuffy nose so I could barely smell it but my ancient English teacher who REEKS of Chanel No. 5 told me I was wearing too much perfume. If that isn't an indication I don't know what is, so apply with caution! This scent has transferred to my gloves, coat sleeves, blankets, etc... and I do not mind a bit! It is not for everyone but I think Black Opium is perfect for me and I will buy it every winter for the rest of my life.

on 5/10/2012 5:36:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

It's very much like YSL Opium, but I like this better. YSL is too much for me, while this I find more wearable. Good strength and lasting power. Auric Blend roll on bottles are very good quality too, none I have gotten ever leak, while many etailer roll ons I have manage to leak even when standing upright.

on 3/30/2012 8:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I agree with below: YSL 80s Opium, yes (Madonna!), but with a light layer of soap on top. It reminds me of wearing Opium on your wrists and washing your hands at the bathroom of a restaurant. Just enough remains, and is mixed with a slight disinfectant smell (or Ivory liquid). It makes me think "1940s."

This is one I wish I could smell how other people smell it on me. If that makes sense.

With these weird descriptions, I still kind of like it! Maybe it has some good memory associated with it that I am repressing.

on 4/12/2011 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm hooked on this in addition to Egyptian Goddess....and as many reviewers have said, it does smell like YSL Opium....for only $7.00! Another staple!

on 1/18/2009 8:26:00 PM

I bought this because it smells exactly like YSL Opium for only $7! If you like Opium but can't afford the $70 then by all means get this. It's long lasting and very portable. It comes in a lip gloss sized tube with a rollerball. It's a spicy, sweet and rich smell.

on 7/1/2008 10:55:00 AM

To me this smells like a sharper and soapier version of YSL Opium. Nice warm spicy clovey scent, surprisingly complex and especially great for colder weather. Pretty strong and has excellent staying power.

Popular Fragrances