Joico K-Pak Leave In Protectant

4.1

Water (Aqua) Cetrimonium Chloride, Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride, Bisamino PEG/PPG-41/3 Aminoethyl PG-Propyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone PEG/PPG-20/23 Benzoate, hydrolyzed Keratin (Quadramine Complex), Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Keratin, Hydrolyzed Keratin PG-Propyl methylsilanediol, Thioctic Acid, Psidium Guajava (Guava) Fruit Extract, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Glycolipids, Allantoin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Benzophenone-4, Hyaluronic Acid, VP/DMAPA Acrylates Copolymer, Stearyl Ethyhexylodimonium Methosulfate, Glycerin, Polysorbate 20, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Propoxytetramethyl Piperdinyl Dimethicone, Trideceth-3, Trideceth-6, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Benzyl Benzoate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Limonene, Citronellol, Fragrance (Parfum).

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I bought this leave in about a year ago, Joico is a rather difficult brand to find where I live so as soon as it saw some products on sale in a salon while I was on holidays I did something that I rarely do - I purchased two Joico products without doing some research on them. I initially wanted to buy the Revitaluxe reconstructor but since they didn't have any left I picked the leave in from the k-pak line and the moisture conditioner (which honestly didn't moisturize my hair as much as I would have expected considering the amount of money I paid for it).
My hair has been bleached to a level 9-10 every two and a half months for 5 years now, because I dye it with semi-permanent fantasy colors, so protection is a must when heat styling. For months I thought that this was a 'meh' product, I knew it did work well as a heat protectant but it also left my hair slightly crunchy if I used it on air dried hair before sraightening it, and I didn't feel that it left it particularly great looking, or made it softer and more manageable. Honestly, If I had rated it back then I would have given it no more than 3 lippies.
Fast-forward to the beginning of last week, when I realized that my hairstylist had fried my hair and I lost half of it to chemical haircuts within 10 days, this product has helped enormously to keep what's left of my hair. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it looks healthy, but at least it's looking normal and feeling somewhat stronger. I'm not using any heat tools, I just put on the protectant and let my hair air dry. The trick to avoid crunchy hair is to apply it to towel dried hair, as soon as you get out of the shower. I would definitely repurchase it, in fact I'm considering travelling 400km just to buy it.

on 6/4/2014 1:33:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Ok, so I bleach my hair regularly and use heat based stylers. This stuff seems to work when my hair is wet. However, once everything is styled and slept in, my hair feels "crispy" the next day. I don't use any hair sprays, I only add oil to keep my ends protected and not tangled. However, as soon as I try to run a brush through my hair at the end of the day, my ends start breaking off! I thought this was because I fried my hair, so I stopped dying and stopped using any heat on my hair. THIS CONTINUED TO HAPPEN UNTILL I DISCONTINUED USING THIS PRODUCT. Once I stopped, I went back to doing everything I did before, without using the leave in "protectant" spray. I believe this stuff works for extremely frizzy hair types that want straight hair. But using curling tools with this stuff makes the ends of my hair stiff and crunchy. I believe this has to do with the chemical lattice that is surrounding the cuticle, rather than keeping the hair shaft flexible, it strengthens it by crystalizing around it. So when someone trys to curl the hair or brush through it, it breaks off.
So after rationalizing this with my scientific mumbo jumbo, I decided it is crap for me.

on 2/2/2013 7:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have been using this product for about 2 months, I haven't noticed a difference at all in the quality of my hair. I like the foam, but I'm not a fan of the scent and it does make my hair feel a bit straw like. Would not purchase again.

on 11/24/2012 8:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

K-Pak Reconstruct impresses me more than any hair care product has in 10 years. Make that 15. It controls frizz (!) and leaves hair smooth, shiny and healthy looking. My hair is very fine, thick and unbelievably frizz-prone. Almost nothing helps except Infusium leave-in products and occasionally - if it's not too humid - Sebastian's Potion 9. And now this. I will certainly be buying again.

Edit: I'm downgrading this product one lippie after further experience with it. It is still very good, but I discovered some of the initial "Wow!" effect came from a cuticle sealing treatment my stylist did. By itself, the K-Pak Reconstruct leave-in (comes out in foam, this isn't the liquid) isn't quite as wonderful. Still a little frizz . . .

on 9/12/2011 9:40:00 PM

i've been using this product for about a month now and havent noticed much of a difference. i use the rusk deepshine oil with it and paul mitchell's strength shampoo and conditioner.

on 8/10/2011 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I bought this last year when my hair was very damaged from colouring. I was using several K-pak products and they did improve my hair a lot so I thought I'd try this as a heat-protectant. However, this may have been my least favourite from the K-pak line. What I do like is that of course it does help strengthen hair, and it does give heat protection without greasy or siliconey residue. It also gives my fine hair a little added hold. For me this doesn't help to detangle at all, it actually makes my hair harder to comb through, so I need to comb before I apply it. I also dislike the liquid foam. I can't spray foam into my hair, and when I spray into my hands it melts before I get it on my hair. I'd much prefer an regular spray or a foam that wouldn't slop all over the place. These things combined made this one of my less-used leave-ins, even though it has many good points. It's also good value, it seems to last forever.

on 6/27/2011 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I wanted to get my hair in better shape as I dye it every 3 weeks (it grows 1inch in that time) so it is a little damaged, but using this in conjunction with the shampoo, conditioner and end repair I have seen some promising results, when I don't use this I do notice my hair is better behaved because of the shampoo and conditioner, but adding this into my routine keeps it in check all day, nice and healthy looking, also I find a little product goes a long way, which is good because it wasn't cheap

on 6/27/2011 2:27:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Doesn't impress me. Detangles yes, but doesn't really smooth my dry hair so doesn't do enoough for me. And little doesn't go a long way with this product, not at least if you have long and dry hair like me. Very disappointed.

on 2/19/2011 10:51:00 PM

This is a great product...very easy to use and scientifically superior... I can see and feel a difference with this.

on 2/1/2011 10:41:00 AM

helps my dry hair from being too tangled and feels less dry, i use it with frizz ease or bio silk