Chandrika ayurvedic soap

Price: $

Price: $

70.77% coconut oil, 21.95% caustic soda, 3.21% chandrika thilam, 1.36% wild ginger (mala inchi), 1.36% soap stone powder, 1% chandrika kashayam, .34% lime (naranga), .01% colour (chayam)

on 5/28/2015 10:18:00 AM

I have just purchased a bar of this recently. I found it in a new Asian grocery store where I live. As soon as I picked it up I could smell it and it was blissful! It smells like soap. Super clean, fresh soap. I am quite conscious and cautious in regards to what I will put on my skin and down the drain, back into the planet. I'm satisfied with the ingredients for this bar. Cost was fine. Cheaper than a bottle of supermarket ick bodyLux for her, and him. Ha. I love this soap on my skin too. Its quite drying but find a decent oil with properties known to aid and ward of previous and potential conditions you may have such as such as jojoba oil with some lavender for a good anti-age soothing sleep mix :-)

on 9/12/2014 12:29:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I always have bars of this in stock. The scent just makes me soooo happy! It's a very incensey scent, but not really in a head shop kind of way. It lasts a decent time in the shower and doesn't melt away like some soaps. Seems a little pricey considering how small the bars are, but I can usually find a 10 pack on amazon for between $10 and $12. I can't tell if it's moisturizing or drying, as I always slather on lotion as soon as I step out of the shower. In a smaller bathroom it makes the whole bathroom smell lovely right after it's used. I will ALWAYS repurchase this unless they stop making it!

on 4/16/2014 5:49:00 PM

Many reviewers are horrified because caustic soda is found in the list of ingredients. I feel that I must respond: CAUSTIC SODA is a NECESSARY COMPONENT of the soap-making process. ALL true soaps are made with lye, which is also called caustic soda, and oil (or fat). The lye and fat react with each other and are completely changed into soap. There is NO lye left over in the soap, although most soaps have extra oils left over in them. Also, ALL true soap is drying to the skin. I use this delightful soap as much as I want, for the face and in the bath, and I moisturize afterward with natural oils. (Almost all of the commercial moisturizers sold today contain petroleum products, which I don't want to put on my skin.) I hope you enjoy this naturally fragrant and healing soap as much as I do!

on 5/22/2013 2:11:00 PM

This soap is clearly the most fragrant soap you can buy. It smells of pine trees after the rain and makes your whole bathroom smell heady. It tends to dry out the skin but it is no more drying than some other products used for skin conditions.I follow it up with a few drops of herbal oil rubbed into my skin. It is similar to another soap from India called Medimix.

on 5/22/2013 4:35:00 AM

Ive got about 10 of these little green bars around the house at any given time. I found these in my local health store and fell in love with the scent, strong incense smell. It's a love it or hate it scent. Unfortunately the soap itself is drying which is why i dont bathe with it. i keep the bars in my drawers, in luggage when travelling, and often out on my dresser as the scent is pretty strong and i love it. after a bars been out a while, i'll use it as hand soap in btwn another hand soap. I wish it wasnt so drying! Its cheap, just about $1.50 but the bar is small. Im not sure if Ive ever seen the ingredient list as i buy this mainly for scent, but the bright green color would suggest artificial coloring as the smell is likely not 100% true.

on 4/23/2013 8:06:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

I have known this soap for a long time now. It's an amazing soap. The soap is very fragrant. I love how my bathroom smells of it every time I enter. It produces a very good amount of lather. The smell stays on the skin for a really long time. I have used this soap since my childhood. I do alternate this soap with other soaps like Medimix and Lush's soaps (I use Lush very rarely...depending on my mood) but this soap is the most important one for me. My skin is even toned, very soft and healthy. It may be due to my routine of alternate usage of Medimix sandal and chandrika soaps but for whatever reason it is, it has made my skin absolutely wonderful. I love my skin and am proud of it. I am someone who believes in using as minimal products as possible. I dont use any fancy stuff. The only important things in my routine is a body lotion and a moisturising cream for my face. Thanks to this soap :) I dont know what I would do without it.

I try this trick which is also great for getting beautiful skin. I dont do this everyday. I am not sure if I can recommend this to anyone but I want to share this. First I moisturize my skin with almond oil and leave it for at least an hour. It can be left for a longer time, its upto you.. Now I wash myself with chandrika soap using exfoliating gloves (even without the gloves will do just fine :) but I use it because the place I live is dusty and I need to get rid of it accumulated on my skin). Next I wash again with medimix sandal soap without any scrubbing or exfoliating accessory. Chandrika soap gets rid of most oil and the other soap gives it some moisture as it is a light moisturising soap. I know its washing my skin twice but this way you get rid of all the oil and have great moisturised skin without being horribly stripped off of the moisture in the skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I'm a repeat customer of this product. I love the piney/herbal smell, it lathers well, lasts a long time and only costs $1.47. I have used this on my face for a few days and it did not break me out but it did really dry my skin out so now I only use it on my body. I have the export version.

on 10/15/2012 2:59:00 AM

Especially reccing this soap for the summer, if you've got a really creamy-rich skincare routine, and if you're very whitehead-prone. But steer clear if you're one of those that like to avoid talc, glycerine or perfumes (they're pretty high up on the ingredient list).

Really, I have to review this lil green bar - I've repurchased 4 times, use it *almost* daily, and will continue as long as the company keeps making it (safe there I think, as they've been in business over 70 years now).

I often use this to take off sunscreen and makeup, before moisturizing or whatever treatment I'm doing that night. As others have mentioned, this soap is VERY drying, but the rest of my skincare routine is so filled with rich oils, creams, and sunscreen - I think that's part of why my skin loves this soap so much year round.

At one $ just round the corner at my local indian grocery, even if this didn't clear my my blemishes, it'd still be worth it (as a side note, visitors LOVE washing their hands, just for the scent!).
..............................
INGS on box purchased Sept 2012, packaged 2010: sodium cocoate, water, sodium palmate, glycerine, talc, paraffin wax, perfume, orange oil, patchouli oil, palmarosa oil, cinnamon leaf oil, wild ginger oil, sandal wood oil, lime peel oil, colour CI 12740, CI 61565.

on 9/6/2012 1:58:00 AM

Somebody gave me this soap as a gift. At first I was happy I had something ''ayurvedic'' and I was excited to try it. When I looked on the ingredients list, one of them is CAUSTIC SODA!! I thought this is joke! I wouldn't like to wash my body or face (especially face) with a drain cleaner product but I thought maybe I just got the wrong idea at once so I used it on my hands and it dried them so this soap ended up in the bin!!

on 8/21/2012 7:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

I was browsing on vitacost to buy apple cider vinegar and my eyes stumble upon this.It has good review so I purchased one because it's on sale for dirt cheap.Receive it today and take a shower with my 6 yo daughter.It smells heavenly!Reminds me of incense that we always use to pray and reminds me of BALI my home island.Divine!I know it's drying my extremely very dry skin.WTH I just love the smells,it's lathering very well ,definitely will repurchased this.