Dr. Bronner's Liquid Soap - All Scents

4.4

Not tested on animals

on 5/16/2015 1:11:00 AM

The awesomeness of Dr. Bronner's liquid soaps is reflected by the 200+ reviews, with a 90% repurchase rate. Nevertheless, here is my personal story of why I love this magic liquid:

Several years ago, I went on a 7-day trek in Nepal. I trekked anywhere between 5-8 hours a day, with all of my possessions in a backpack, and sweating through layers of clothing on a daily basis (eeww). BUT! I had one little 2 oz. Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap with me, and what a heaven sent/scent it was. Dirty skin? Stinky pits? Nasty hair? Funky underwear? Sweaty clothes? That little bottle took care of it ALL. A few undiluted drops on my hands and some lathering got my face/body/hairs squeaky clean, everyday. Wet my clothes and add a few more undiluted drops, directly on the clothes or in a basin, and voila! Clean clothes. The peppermint scent helped to refresh my mind, body, and outer wear.

The only thing I didn't use it for was for tooth brushing. I didn't like the idea of tasting soap and brought along a small tube of toothpaste. But, anyone who has gone camping/trekking while having to carry all supplies can appreciate how precious space can be, or how even a little weight can make a difference. All I needed to feel clean was a 2 oz. bottle of Dr. Bronner's. During the trek, I used up only 1/3 of it. For this environmentally conscious gal, the soap proved it was magical. And to think...I had gotten the bottle for $1 in the bargain bin of a drugstore!

It had been my first exposure to Dr. Bronner's, but I was so glad I had bet all of my cleaning needs on that little bottle. Definitely made me a fan for life!

on 4/26/2015 10:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I never thought to write a review on this stuff...it's been so much a part of my life, for as long as I can remember, that it fades into scenery. Over the years I have used all the scents but the ones I buy continually are Peppermint and Almond. (Note: be careful with the Peppermint one in "sensitive" areas of the body...) Summer in Arizona can be HOT, and the Peppermint soap literally cools the temperature of our skin. It feels wonderful. I never use anything with "lather", and I've never tried to make this liquid soap foam. I apply it on a shower pouf and wash. I was surprised to read reviews that talk about its lather. I guess living most of my life with Los Angeles water kept me unaware of the joy of soap bubbles, because I never knew this stuff to lather! (I don't think I'd like it if it did...I don't like a "soapy" feel). The Rose smells lovely, but it's just too strong for my nose. It seems like everbody I know uses these soaps, or has at least tried them, and I don't know of anyone who hasn't been intrigued by the quirky, hippie "preachings" on the bottles. It's impossible not to be drawn into reading them in the shower. What better to do in the shower than read about uniting humanity on "Spaceship Earth"? I like this soap for hand soap, body cleanser, laundry detergent, household cleaning, and makeup brush cleaner, but I can't use it in my hair...I tried it once...and I still get shivers thinking about it. My skin loves olive oil, so it's not surprising castile soap leaves it in clean, soft condition. I put the castile soap in my own pump hand-soap bottles as well. A little goes a long way, and they keep my family and our environment clean.

on 4/20/2015 11:48:00 PM

Dr. Bronners has been a staple in my family for as long as I can remember. We used to houseboat in the summer on Lake Shasta, and would take "showers" by scrubbing down with this stuff and then jumping in the lake :) the peppermint liquid soap smell is so nostalgic for me - there is nothing like the cool, tingly feeling on a hot summer night! I have also tried (and loved) the lavender. I will try the almond and rose scents next, as I have heard great things! I have yet to try any of the bar soaps so this review is solely for the liquid soaps.

As a body wash, this definitely gives you that "squeaky clean" feeling. Be careful not to use too much - read the directions (if you can find them amidst the crazy hilariously awesome religious rant on the bottle) or Lisa Bronner also has a blog that is really helpful with dilution ratios. Basically I wouldn't recommend using this stuff straight - put a few drops on a loofah and rinse with water before scrubbing, or dilute beforehand like a 1:3 ratio and then use it. It is a big drying (I have already dry skin, though) but just follow up with a moisturizer or body oil after your shower and you're good to go. Remember, it is still a SOAP, but the benefits of not using any parabens or toxic chemicals on your body is well worth it!

As a shampoo, it is definitely not my favorite but will work in a pinch or when camping. You definitely want to use a conditioner after, or else your hair will feel like straw. But again, it does give you the sqeaky clean feeling that some people like. I have not tried diluting it and using it as a shampoo, so that could change the results.

As a makeup brush cleaner, this is my absolute HG. I use a blend of oils as a facial moisturizer morning and night (grapeseed oil plus some essential oils) and then use foundation over it in the mornings, so my makeup brushes are always pretty gnarly within a week. This will clear out any gunk in SECONDS and gives them a nice clean scent. My brushes are like brand new every time :)

I have not yet used this as a facewash, as I have finally recently cleared up my skin and I'm afraid to change anything in my routine with the fear of breaking out! But i'm sure eventually I will cave, and I will update my results :)

As many other reviewers have said, you can also make an all-purpose house cleaner by diluting the liquid soap of your choice, but I haven't gotten around to do that, either. Just a matter of time before i try!

This stuff is a GREAT, INEXPENSIVE, MULTI-PURPOSE all in one magical product. It's not for everyone, but if you figure out how to use it correctly and DILUTE, it could totally simplify and detoxify your life!!

on 4/19/2015 4:33:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I always got the liquid soap in Lavender.However, after moving to a location with hard water, this soap does NOT lather well in hard water at all. In my previous home, we had a heavy duty softener and the lathered great on a wash cloth with lots of suds. But in a harder water region (like Arizona) you have to use double the amount and it still doesn't create the later you need. The bar however does fine, but I find it more drying. So until we move to a location with softer water, I've switched to Kirk's Castile Bar Soap for now.

on 4/19/2015 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I like to clean my makeup sponges frequently. This liquid soap cleans them better than a liquid detergent.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Holy Grail product for.... everything.
I'm a big ol' hippie who loves to use this for cleaning around the house. Hand dishwashing liquid, making laundry soap, cleaning the counters, the floors, the tubs, literally everything!
In the shower, this has become my all-in-one product. Body wash (doubles as shaving lather with GREAT glide), face wash, no-poo shampoo (dilute it, please!!). I decant some from the big bottle into a small airplane travel bottle and a little goes a long way, so the 3 ounces in there probably last me 3 weeks with all of those uses. I have less products in the shower than my husband does now!
Cleans makeup brushes better than anything I have ever tried.
As others reviewers have said, it may be a bit drying for those with dry skin. I have SUPER dry skin, but I am diluting it so the dryness goes down there, but I moisturize like crazy immediately after getting out of the shower regardless of what soap I am using, so it doesn't bother me.
Currently I use the peppermint scent, but mostly because I can find it at Costco in the HUGE bottles for way less than I buy it at the grocery store, and the price difference is crazy. But they only sell the peppermint scent currently, to my knowledge.
The bottle is covered in crazy cult made up religion talk, but if you can get past the gibberish there is actually useful information somewhere. Listen to the bottle and DILUTE. Read more stuff online on "recipes" to make all the stuff I mentioned, and you won't be disappointed!

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I have tried the peppermint, lemon and rose versions, mainly as a body wash.

All in all, I really like them and their versatility. Also great value if you dilute them 3-1. I just wish that amid all the crazy text on the label, they would highlight the directions of use. If I could purchase them easily where I live, I would use them for everything. My boyfriend is hard to please but even he likes them although the rose is too feminine for him and the peppermint too strong in terms of fragrance. He prefers the lemon. I like them all and would love to try the other iterations such as baby.

They are a bit drying and I would not use them on my face and hair except in an emergency. The peppermint does feel quite refreshing and tingly on my scalp though. Also try cleaning your ears with the peppermint - most cooling!

on 7/29/2014 9:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Castile soap is such a versatile product! I use the peppermint version as a refreshing shower gel in the summer. I use the unscented version to make DIY shampoo, face wash, laundry detergent, and makeup brush cleanser. I really want to try making my own shower gel, too. It can be a bit tough on hair, so you must add some moisturizing ingredient like glycerine or jojoba oil. It is a bit pricey and the dispenser's hole is fairly large since the product is such a thin consistency. However, I like that it's a much more natural product and the packaging is really cute. I always have some of this on hand.

on 7/21/2014 12:41:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love this to clean my make up brushes. HG.

Update: 05/05/2015. I don't know if they changed the formula recently, but I feel as though this bottle isn't getting my brushes as clean as it should. I now have to go back, and re-wash my brushes, and even then, the lather doesn't remove all of the makeup. My brushes get washed after their second/third use- so they don't build up with product....but for some reason, this just isn't working for me anymore. I use a brush glove to clean, so no, it's not a user error. :(

Update: 05/11/2015. Okay, so I am back on the bandwagon with this soap. I like it again. I wash my brushes a bit differently now, I no longer use a glove- but I use a plastic round container, and lather up my brushes like that, and same with washing the soap out. I use the container, fill it up with water- and rub my brush on the bottom of the container. This works way better, and it doesn't damage my brushes and their shapes. Highly recc this soap, but try to see what method in terms of lathering up the soap works for you. :)

Update: 05/15/2015. So I find that this soap doesn't lather up in water too well. Meaning, I have to use a little water- and soap, to get a good lather. If I use too much water, or the brush is wet; the soap will not lather up. I want to like this brush cleaner so badly, because it's the standard; and it's anti-bacterial. But finding a way to lather it up is difficult. I don't know how people mix this with water, and then use it. I have to use the soap raw; with a little water. That works for me.

Update: 05/23/2015. Go out and buy this. I lather up my brushes using a plastic container, and it works so much better. I use a few drops of soap, and then rub the brush against the bottom to lather it up. Then I wash it the same way using a container filled with a little water. HG product of mine, and I love washing my brushes when I'm using this because I know that they are clean.

on 7/7/2014 1:30:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

LOVE this product!

My skin is so sensitive, and I'm always reacting to products. Unfortunately, I have no idea what ingredients I react to, so it's always a guessing game. Dr. Bronner's has become my go-to body wash. All of my eczema and redness has cleared up.

I use the almond or the unscented; for some reason, I seem to react to the lavender. I keep an old bottle, and dilute the new stuff with 30% soap, 70% water and it still lathers and cleans beautifully - its lasts for.ever!

Note to other users: diluted with hot water, Dr. Bronners is also excellent as a hardwood floor cleaner or a multi-purpose household cleaner!