Phyto Phytolisse Ultra Shine Smoothing Serum

3.4

Cyclomethicone, Dimethiconol, Alcohol Denatured (Botanical Origin), Panthenol (Provitamin B5), Fragrance (Parfum) (Parfum), Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract (Botanical Origin), Phytantriol

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Iíve tried umpteen numbers of hair serums over the years (a time frame spanning at least two decades cuz Iím getting old-ish) and Iím pretty sure that this one is the best Iíve ever used.

Iíve had enough discretionary income in the past (that I earned all by myself, thank you very much!) to experiment with a range of products on a variety of price levels. The high end stuff I tend to use as a baseline for finding equal or better products for less money and nothing makes me happier than finding a drugstore-priced product I love.

That said, sometimes itís actually worth it to plunk down the big bucks on a product. Maybe thereís a drugstore-priced hair serum out there I missed thatís totally awesome in the same way as Phytolisse (and if so, Iíd love to find out more!) but I have yet to come across one personally.

The tricky thing about pretty much all hair serums in my experience is that they tend to use silicone-based ingredients of the sort that build up over time (and for me, cause scalp issues after a couple of weeks (itching! and then scratching! and scabs! blah!)).

And, yet, silicone-based ingredients are not at all the same in terms of how they work or wash off. Some are in fact water-soluble (meaning you might even be able to successfully use products containing such ingredients on a no-poo and/or co-wash regimen!); others evaporate pretty quickly and as such, may or may not be water-soluble, but are at least one the lighter side and easy to wash out. Then, you have the kind of silicone-based ingredients that do in fact cause lots of buildup and need sulfate-based or chelating shampoos to remove (these are the ones that ruin the reputation of the good ones, unfortunately).

That said, I am not by any means a chemist, let alone one specializing in cosmetics ó but I did end up looking up the ingredients of Phytolisse one by one after being thoroughly surprised by the fact that it contained silicone-based ingredients. From what I can tell, this is actually a very well-formulated product and insofar as it does use silicone-base ingredients, they donít appear to be the super-heavy ones that tend to build up.

This is the only hair serum Iíve ever been able to use on a daily basis without negative effects. Itís an extremely light-weight and non-greasy formula (relative to other products in the same family) that works great with my fine, dry, frizzy hair (though I think itís a product that is likely to be suitable for a wide range of hair types).

In terms of how I actually use it, Iíve tried it on damp hair and dry hair and much prefer it as a finishing product on dry hair when needed. Itís great at tamping down the frizzes and adding sheen but there are numerous other products that are going to do a better job of styling, offering protection from heat, and generally providing moisture, for example.

on 5/9/2014 5:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

NOT SILICONE FREE....In fact it has too many! For those who do not know silicones (check your labels, anything with 'cone' at the end of the word) will destroy your hair.

on 2/19/2014 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

LOVE this serum! Silcone free, for us fine haired girls. Works to smooth down frizz, adds shines and heat and UV protection (like all serums) but like I said this is SILICONE FREE! Lovely scent. I will re purchase again and again. Only downside is the price.

on 2/3/2013 3:10:00 AM

This is the first smoothing serum I have ever tried that actually does all it promises - it literally feels like each strand of my hair is coated in healthy natural oils, yet my hair remains bouncy, voluminous and is not weighed down at all. My boyfriend actually noticed and commented that my hair had become less frizzy with less flyaways because my hair is dry and thin and has a tendency to have that after blowdrying. It's an oil but it feels natural and lightweight enough to use on a daily basis, without any reaction from my oily scalp. (I get dandruff whenever I use cream or oil-based products on my hair.) I'm completely sold on the Phyto range and will not go back to products that temporarily solve the symptoms but not the root of the problem (a ha!). :) I have noticed that Phyto products tend to not have any scent (except for the universal elixir which is essential oil-based) and I take that as a very good sign that it is truly natural and good for your hair and scalp.

on 4/26/2012 4:53:00 AM

I hardly say this, but I HATE THIS PRODUCT. I was at Sephora the other day and the sales assistant convinced me to this, claiming to be the BEST SELLING SERUM at Sephora. Being so bloody expensive, I thought it would make some difference to my hair.

My hair is thin, slightly wavy and medium frizz. It made no difference. Sephora in my country doesn't accept returns. The only thing positive I can say is although it may seem oily on the hand, it doesn't transfer to the hair. Will NEVER repurchase.

on 8/23/2011 2:00:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I am always skeptical of using oil-based serums for the purpose of adding shine; I tend to prefer aerosol shine sprays, because I think the mist coats the hair shaft better and really does leave it shinier. I will say, though, that I am impressed by this serum. I received a 5mL sample, which has lasted for three weeks (and it's not even half gone) -- which is incredible to me. A few drops really do go a long way; not much is needed for it to work. I have very long hair with dry-ish ends (okay, I probably need a trim). I use 2-3 drops rubbed between my palms and smoothed over the ends, and it leaves my hair looking moisturized and *much* smoother and healthier. It's lightly scented at first, but it fades, and while it feels as if it would be oily, it's actually very lightweight. When my sample is gone, I will definitely be investing in the full size (which, at this rate, probably lasts for years!).

Final verdict: In terms of making hair look smooth, healthy and "done" -- A+. Shine, not so much -- but great overall.

on 12/9/2010 6:15:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I like this serum because it's lightweight, isn't greasy, and doesn't weigh my fine hair down like most smoothing serums do. However, my hair was still frizzy. I do like the scent though, which smells like ckOne.

on 5/3/2010 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I'm never a huge fan of serums as they tend to do nothing for my hair or they leave a dull, greasy look but this serum works wonders for my hair. I use just one or two tiny drops in the palm of my hand, rub my hands together, then run my hands through the ends of my hair, followed by blow drying or flat ironing and I have spectacularly shiny, healthy looking hair. Another bonus is that it is very lightly scented and after my hair is dry I don't notice any lingering scent at all from it.

I've used an Aveda serum and was disgusted by the oily, dirty look it gave my hair. I've used an entire bottle of this Phyto serum and never once felt as though my hair looked dirty or unhealthy. It costs a lot (but so did the Aveda product) but it was money well spent and one little bottle lasted forever. Love this stuff! Unless they discontinue this product (and I hope they don't!) I think my search for the perfect serum is over.

on 1/31/2009 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This serum is nothing special in my opinion.Actually,I haven't noticed difference,my hair looked completely the same with or without this.It has really watery lightly texture,wich wouldn't make your hair waighted down,but also didn't make a thing for my dry fine flyaway hair.Just nothing happend.Not worth the money at all.

on 10/12/2008 1:50:00 PM

I love this product. It never leaves my hair feeling greasy no matter how much I use and smells nice. I highly recommend this product if you are looking for great shine without all the buildup.

Top Rated Phyto Products