Givenchy Amarige de Givenchy

3.8

on 4/24/2015 4:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Jane Seymour wore this on The Rose O'Donnell Show *many* years ago, and Rosie loved it. Rosie got up from behind her desk to hug Jane when she first came in, and Rosie started saying what a nice perfume that was, and she'd never smelled that perfume before, and what was that perfume? -- and Jane said shyly that it was Amarige.

(Sidenote -- Rosie herself, in another episode of her old daytime show, shared that she wore CK One -- a 40-squirt application -- and she demonstrated how she did 40 little all-over puffs of it every day.)

Fast forward to now. In the May 4, 2015 US Weekly magazine, which I received yesterday, there is an article on page 60 about Fergie's (Black-Eyed Peas) taste in scent through the years. She's apparently about to launch her 4th Avon fragrance, Outspoken Fresh (in a turquoise bottle).

Well, among Fergie's fave scents through the years, it said that in 1992, she and her mom & sister all wore "Amarige" for a very long time -- they all wore the same fragrance -- for a long time.

Which made me pull out my mini last night and retest it. Nah, I never really took to this scent and still don't.

Launched in 1991, here are notes, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes - Mandarin, Neroli, Peach, Plum, Rosewood, Violet

Heart Notes - Gardenia, Carnation, Jasmine, Cassia, Mimosa, Orchid, Black locust, Rose, Red berries, Black currant, Tuberose, Ylang-ylang

Base Notes - Amber, Woody notes, Musk, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Cedar

For me, this is pretty potent stuff, and there's a bit of spice in there that I'm not crazy about (I don't like spicy perfumes). It's okay, but a mini is quite enough for me -- just to sniff from time to time, not really to wear. It was never my type, but now it smells rather dated to me.

on 4/3/2015 12:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I almost didn't buy this, because perfume expert Luca Turin gave it such a low score. I find Turin's often wrong though. So when I encountered a tester bottle, I gave it a try. Wow, Amarige is gorgeous. It's a sweet floral bursting with gardenia and tuberose. According to Susan Irvine's book The Perfume Guide, it also includes the following notes:

Top Notes: Plum, Tangerine, Orange Flower, Violet, Rosewood

Middle Notes: Cassis, Gardenia, Ylang-Ylang, Jasmine, Tuberose, Orchid, Acacia Farnesiana, Dried Red Fruits

Base Notes: Amber, Musk, Tonka Bean, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Cedar, Cashmerande

Amarige is very bold with a lot of silage. While I love it, it's possible to over do it. One or two sprays is all you need. More than that and you'll overwhelm people. That said, it's very long lasting. I have the toilette, and it lasts all day on me. Anytime I want to feel very dynamic and feminine, I reach for Amarige. It really makes you feel like a woman. It's not for people who only wear quiet perfumes though. Even in tiny amounts it's a bold fragrance. For a barely there perfume, I suggest Cashmere Mist or Green Tea.

on 12/29/2014 2:44:00 PM

This is Jessica Simpson's favorite perfume (Teen Magazine, February 2002). This smells really really nice. I love it! :)

on 9/27/2014 7:54:00 PM

I have always like this fragrance, but have only smelled it in a tester. Yet my husband gave me a bottle for my birthday this weekend. It was a nice surprise. I hope to receive lots of compliments- to me it is lovely and unique.
He purchased it at Walgreen's and probably over paid 50$. We live in a small town, and I do not remember seeing it at TJMAXX.
I am in my early 40's- I don't want to wear an over trendy fragrance. But I also I do not want to date myself by wearing old favorites- Estee Lauder and Elizabeth Arden.
I have Red Door and White Diamonds which I find are too recognizable- and opinions are strong.
Amarige feels more unique.
If I receive a few positive comments- it will become my new go-to- as it seems seasonless to me

Amarige is my signature fragrance. I am in my forties, and love the way this smells on my skin. It is warm, sensual and just plain gorgeous. Every time I wear it, my husband can't stop smelling me :D

I wear this nearly every day, but I'm careful not to spray too much. It can be very strong initially, but calms down shortly after to a very warm, spicy floral.

This is elegance and timeless beauty in a bottle. I recommend it to anyone who is not afraid of standing out of the crowd, fragrance-wise. I will continue to use this over and over again.

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I have tried very hard to like this perfume. A good friend of mine wore this constantly, she loved it and vowed she wouldn't buy anything else. Trouble was, to me she always smelled of soap. I've bought the perfume and tried it myself. Maybe it was just a chemistry thing...but no...all I get is soap. For me, it's a definite no..no.....

on 1/23/2013 8:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Given all the warnings of the strength of this, I only put on a dot of the perfume. It is gorgeous. Perhaps I didn't put on enough to pick up all the notes listed, because what I get is tuberose plus more tuberose, every bit as high quality as that from L'Artisan. However, the listed notes are: topnotes: peach, plum, orange, mandarin, with the sweetness of rose wood and neroli; heart of mimosa, neroli, tuberose, gardenia and acacia with a gourmand hint of black currant; base of musk, sandalwood, vanilla, amber, Tonka bean and cedar. I've had it on for 15 hours and only now can smell the basenote of cedar. Perhaps the other notes came and left as I slept.

on 1/2/2013 6:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Quite nice and interesting fragrance. Reminds me of tropics... Not strong at all on me. Also smells a bit like a paper, books. Goes well on clean skin beneath a cream.
The main drawback to me is the low strength and longevity of this fragrance.

on 12/30/2012 3:20:00 PM

Amarige is a perfume, that I keep going back to. I absolutely fell in love with this perfume, when I first smelled it almost 20 years ago. By now I almost feel, that the smell is too young for me (I am 38 years now), but I do still love it, and I find it extremely sensual, even though it is in no way heavy or a headache-starter either.
Very unique scent. The bottle looks a bit cheep though, but who cares, when the inside is so gorgeus:-)

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

I was looking for a new fall/winter fragrance that will be nice to wear for day and night. I didn't want something so heavy like my usual winter scent, Dior Addict. Both Addict and Amarige are sexy full bodied scents. However, I see it as Addict being the passionate back shoved to the wall sex and Amarige to be the spooning and kissing after the sex. Amarige reminds me of a cashmere sweater that wraps you up in warmth and makes you feel luxurious and comfortable. Amarige is a rich scent however it doesn't suffocate you or overpower the room. A little goes a long way. On me, I get very little citrus and fruit. The foral, spice and wood notes really warm up to my chemistry. Amarige is a very warm and slightly intoxicating scent that is geared for a mature following.
Notes:Neroli, Rosewood, Violet Leaves, Citrus Notes, Gardenia, Mimosa, Melon, Peach, Plum, Cashmereon Wood, Tonka Bean, Vanilla.

Popular Fragrances