Stila Magnificent Metals Foil Finish Eye Shadow with Primer

3.2

on 5/26/2015 8:31:00 PM

I just don't get it! This product was messy and difficult to apply. When I finally got it on my lid it was spotty and looked like I put craft glitter on my eye...not for me

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I was totally in love with the concept of this product when it first came out. I watched Stila′s tutorials and advertisements and couldn't believe how gorgeous the results were. Until I bought it myself. I have owned a few different shades for a very long time now, at least a year so I made sure I tried applying the product in every way possible. I usually use loose glitter/pigment and use Too Faced′s Glitter Glue or Urban Decays Glitter Base and that usually works out great for me regardless if it′s MAC glitter, Wet N Wild, etc. The ″primer″ that comes with these are way too small, especially with trial and error. According to Stila you are supposed to use the pan provided and mix the two together. I tried that, and it was a disaster. Within minutes it wasn't just creasing but it was literally separating and the texture was very chunky and uneven. I tried using less primer, I tried using more - same problem. I do NOT have oily lids but my eyes are a bit smaller but I never had a problem with creasing with any other glitter kits. I tried using my finger which in my opinion is the most efficient application but it′s incredibly messy so I suggest doing this before you apply foundation etc. I tried applying the glitter completely dry without any base or glitter glue and that was a disaster because the lasting power was basically nonexistent. I tried mixing the glitter with MACs Fix + and applying it over my eyes primed with Glitter Glue and it was actually nice at first! The Fix +made it smoother and easier to apply with a brush. Before I even got to my car they were completely creasing and there was glitter ALL over my eyeliner/eyelashes. It essentially erased my cat eye. I am super bummed out because I wanted to love this so bad and I will continue to try to salvage this product and try out whatever remaining possibilities there are although Im pretty sure Ive tried it all. The glitter itself is a very weird texture. It almost looks like its going to be a dense block or sort of like a creme shadow. Once you actually touch the product its VERY smushy and caves in so you have to use sort of a light hand. A very unique product and I wish it worked for me, especially after the 32$ I spent on these I am sorely disappointed.

on 2/14/2015 7:00:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This is an amazing product. I am a huge advocate of anything glittery or sparkly and therefore this is heaven for me. But not only that, it is just a beautiful product. The texture is very odd to describe. It is a powder, but it is so smooth and emollient it could almost be a cream. If you push down too hard on it, quite a large amount of product comes out because it is so soft, but it is easy to pat right back in. Seriously, an odd but lovely texture. The pigment is also really cool, too. You can apply it very sheerly so it looks like a glitter or you can apply it full on so it looks like a pigmented metal on the eyes. It's a chameleon and I've never seen anything like it. I like to apply it both alone or on top of other eyeshadow. It lasts on me, but most eye products do so I don't really know how to judge it. I could see it creasing on someone with oilier lids if they didn't use a primer because it is so creamy. The one problem I have is that if you're not careful, you can end up with glitter all over your face. Not because of fallout but just because glitter is inherently messy. But if you are careful and make sure your fingers and hands keep away from your cheeks and all, you'll be fine. The other problem I have is that it is very hard to apply with a brush when dry, and since I never use this wet I always use my fingers (which as I said can be messy). But my goodness, this goes down in my top three favorite eyeshadows because it is angelic and beautiful. If you're a fan of glitter, shimmer, or metallic finishes you will love this. But I recommend this to everyone, because even if you only like matte shadows this could be a beautiful way to spruce up your look or try something new. It sure makes for a lovely addition to any Christmas look ;)

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I am so baffled when I see bad reviews for this product - it's amazing! I own it in six colours: Kitten, Comex Gold, Vintage Black Gold, Metallic Emerald, Metallic Lavender, and Metallic Merlot. All pretty self explanatory colours, except Kitten, which is a lovely champagney coloured shimmer.

A lot of people seem to have had problems with the primer that comes with the shadow. Firstly, I have heard that Stila have redesigned the packaging, and it doesn't evaporate as quickly now. Personally, I've only opened one rather than all six, the five that are still sealed are absolutely fine, the one that's been opened for nearly a year is starting to look a little thick, but that seems reasonable after such a long time. But I think the key thing to remember here is that YOU DO NOT NEED THE PRIMER for this eyeshadow (mine is only opened as I use it with the MAC loose glitter).

Don't try and apply the eyeshadow with a brush. It just won't work. Sometimes I run it under my lower lash line with a very thin liner brush, but for the most part, you're better off with your fingers.

There are two ways to wear this shadow - block colour or a shimmer wash. I do both. I always use Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer to start. Apply "normal" eyeshadow (in a similar colour to the Stila Magnificent Metals) to get your basic smoky eye.

For the block colour finish, reach for the Stila product, and apply with your index finger. Dab your finger in the pot (not too hard, it's softer than it looks), and paint it on your eyelids. Remember, you're going for solid colour, so you want it feeling creamy and looking solid. Arch your eyebrows and close your eyes until it's dry - maybe a minute or so. When dry, it will feel smooth and powdery, like a new pressed powder eyeshadow compact. Finish with liquid eyeliner as you usually would.

If you want more of a gentle shimmer, repeat as above, but dab your finger in the Stila product much more gently. I would suggest practising on the back of your hand, but you basically just need to gently sweep your finger across the area you want the shimmer. The real key here is to have hardly any on your finger tip, it's better to keep going back for a little more. Practice makes perfect here, but it's really not difficult to get the hang of. This method of application is my favourite, because it really shows off the complexity of colour, and the truly magnificent depth of sparkle.

I really cannot recommend this product highly enough - yes, it's expensive, but when it's on your eyes, it LOOKS expensive! I get compliments every time I wear it, and it's my go to product for that really complex beautiful red carpet sparkle. It's such a high quality product, I've just never come across anything that shimmers in quite the same way, and it really stays put (I've come home drunk and fallen asleep face down in the pillow - next morning? Still perfect!). If you're new to it, start with Kitten, because it's so versatile, but you will probably find a use for all the different shades!

on 12/10/2014 5:01:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I want to love this. It LOOKS awesome on - I LOVE the shiny foil effect it gives with a lot of primer. The issue is the little tiny thing of primer that wasn't full to begin with and then it actually just evaporated from the bottle. I didn't have it long, there wasn't a spill because it was upright on a shelf and yet there was no primer left. I was really disappointed AND you CAN'T purchase the primer separately. You can't use the eye shadow without the primer, it is dry and chunky. Oh, and Stila doesn't care at all, I tried contacting them, they don't even respond.

on 9/24/2014 7:21:00 PM

I love the way this product looks but for me to apply it and get it to look the way it's supposed to; is to just use my finger and not use the primer. The primer is too messy but the end result is the most intense eye shadow I've ever seen that's not just pure glitter.The price is crazy though...$32 for this is way too much.

on 7/6/2014 6:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Since this product's debut, it has received quite the mixed bag of opinions, so here's mine:

The idea: A highly metallic, cream-fusion eyeshadow, that when mixed with a drop of the provided primer, creates a beautiful foiled finish on the eye.

CONS:
-Takes a bit of time to figure out what works best for you. I have been told by various sources to apply with your finger, apply with a brush, use with the primer, use without the primer, etc. I have found that I like this best when I drop a little primer into the eyeshadow itself and then mix it slightly with a flat, synthetic brush and then apply to my eye. Using your finger is less precise, but works well at packing on the color.
-The vile of primer is veryyyy small and will inevitably run out before you run out of the eyeshadow itself. I remedied this by replacing the primer with my MAC's Fix+, and it worked just as well.
-Some shades are definitely chunkier than others, namely the lighter shades. My shade in Metallic Dusty Rose, no matter how beautiful, never quite lays down smoothly. I get that it's supposed to be foiled, but it kind of just looks chunky and gross.
-The price: $32 plus tax for something as small and flawed as this is kind of a blow to your wallet.

PROS:
-When you finally figure out how to use these, they are truly beautiful, and I have nothing else like them in my whole makeup collection. I always get compliments when I wear them, particularly the shade Titanium, and they are a great way to spice up your makeup!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I waited a while to write this review because I really thought this shadow and I could work things out. We cannot. Actually, if this were presented as just a cream shadow maybe I would feel better about it. But the primer is nonsense and honestly I have no clue what the hell I'm supposed to be doing anymore.
I have no control when it comes to glitter so of course I loved the metallic wet glittery look this promised. Problem is it's hard to work with and doesn't look great. There's no control. I end up looking like a little girl did my make up.
But-here's what sealed the deal (no pun intended) - the primer provided is such a tiny amount you'd think it's liquid gold. Especially irritating because there's a lot of trial and error here. I was scared to "practice" with it lest I use up the half ounce provided. I can't live with that kind of stress. Aaaannnndd.... Because there's a drop of primer in that little dropper bottle it dried out (I haven't used it in a month) and now it's a sticky gel-like consistency. And it's also in the trash. No likey.

on 4/4/2014 7:56:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I love the idea of these, reviews were bad. Found this blog post http://www.brightestbulbinthebox.com/2013/11/review-stila-magnificent-metals-foil.html decided I had to have them.

Bought the merlot colour. Its beautiful. I have blue/green eyes and this is one of the best colours for makign them pop.

However, this shadow is a PITA to work with. I tried the tips in the blog post, didn't work. I tried less primer, more primer, different primer (UDPP), I tried as a liner alone, I tried putting primer on lid and then shadow, mixing it in the pan. Patchy, flaking, glittery mess. However the colour was amazing and I was still wanting to make it work.

So asked the SA where i bought the shadow from what worked on other people, she recommended NARS primer. The shadows area already expensive but having to buy a primer solely for the use of it as well? That's how much I love this colour.

Anyway, it works. I've only tried it as a liner (subtle cateye liner) along the lashes and its amazing. Dark enough to make the lashes appear fuller and give the cat eye effect, but the glimmer from the metallic merlot is beautiful. I might try again as a lid colour for a smokey eye but even if that doesn't work, the fantasticness that is this shadow as a liner is such that I'd willingly buy it, the stupid primer it comes with AND a NARS primer to make it work.

on 3/14/2014 12:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I love these, they are truly unique but they definitely are something you have to play with. I consider myself really well versed in makeup and it took a couple try's to mix and find the right brush for staying power. But their effect when you get right is quite unique, much more shiny then a shimmer like mac star powder, or illamasqua, or tkb planetary, yet not chunky like glitter. Consider this a cream eye shadow rather than a powder and you'll understand why it can be difficult to work with. Although crèmes can have higher intensity they can be hard for long wear and staying in place. Although a little neutral powder always helps.
I sometimes use more extreme things in my makeup like foil, gems, tattoos etc. and I find this product would be on the cusp for most people. Meaning it might be a little too much for people who like subtler looks. Or they need to be careful in their selection of color and application. Its a great New Years product :P
In terms of the product, it comes with a primer...I would first of all call it a mixer not a primer you should mix before you apply. Also try different mixers that you might already have like silicones, I might even try a dab of glitter glue to see how that mixes and helps with staying power if I was doing a really strong look. There are also a video that shows how to apply. You can dab this product with your fingers for a subtler look, but again your problem will be creasing.
I have two colors a gold and a beige, and I'm going to get one more that is like a white with glitter tones. I usually find with products like this, I would rather just use a dark/bright colored eyeshadow like navy, or black and just apply the foil over, rather than buying all the products/colors in their line.

**update** Milani is now making a foil product for around 11 dollars that come in a palette of four colors...not all the same colors but for the price may want to try that first. They are also making an eyeliner foil which I have not tried.