L'Oreal Hair Expertise Oleo Therapy Deep Recovery Mask

4.4

Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Quaternium 87, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetyl Esters, Fragrance, Propylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Isopropyl Alcohol, Caprylyl Glycol, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Coconut Oil, Hexyl Cinnamal, Hydroxycitronellal, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract, Citric Acid, Isoeugenol, Caramel, Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Gardenia Tahitensis Flower Extract, Rosa Canina Flower Extract, Nelumbium Speciosum Flower Extract, Linum Usitatissimum Flower Extract, Red 33 (CI 17200)

on 5/1/2015 2:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

This is by far the best drugstore hair mask I have come across and this is coming from a person who only buys high end hair masks. Why did I change up? Changing from US to Switzerland, not all of my brands I like are here and certainly not at US prices(Very expensive here). My Matrix Biolage hair mask that my mother gifted me ran out and I was in a pinch at the grocery store, I saw the advertising for this new L'oreal mask so why not, and I bought it.

I have been using it for a month now and the results: Better than Matrix Biolage. My hair is normally feels coarse and this changed it dramatically and made it SUPER SOFT. The texture is very thick and creamy and not runny like most hair "masks" from drugstores; It didnt take much to cover my very long and thick hair. I also blow dry my hair, I use curling irons very often, it's color treated.....my hair takes a lot of damage on a daily biases thus explains my pricey masks but this made my hair like new again, seriously this is like magic. My ends are in much better condition afterwards. I use it in place of a regular conditioner and I leave it on for a minimum of 5 minutes(the longer the better) and place it mid-shaft to the ends and then pin it up in a clip that I keep in the shower. It also smells really good, like as if it was expensive; it's like woody-herbal-sweet, I wouldn't mind having it as a body spray! Even my boyfriend likes it which I find both strange and amusing. For 9.95CHF, it's a steal!

If you are in Germany, Switzerland, or Austria, the packaging looks a little different and it's listed as "ELVITAL; Öl Magique; Nährende Balsam-Maske" oder "ELSEVE ÖL/HUILE Extraordinaire;Nährende Balsam-Maske"

Great blind buy and amazing stuff! I will be buying again and stocking up.

I have fine, but thick hair and don't apply too many products or heat to it on a day-to-day basis. However, once in a while I like to apply a hair mask just to give my hair that extra shine and softness. I haven't used a hair mask in a long time and did some research to find a good (and affordable) product.

I bought this one at CVS for a little over $9 and used it in the shower after my shampoo. Not only does this product smell amazing, but the next morning when I woke up, my hair felt super soft and looked so healthy! If you're sensitive to smells I wouldn't recommend this one as the smell lasts well into the next day, but I love the styled-at-the-salon smell it leaves on my hair!

on 2/15/2015 10:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I found out about the product through here when I was looking for hair masks. Since I have blonde wavy hair, I only paid attention to those reviews. A few were bad so I almost didn't get it but I am so glad that I did!

My hair gets pretty dry and tends to frizz outwards. Without Moisturizing products it is a mess. I followed the instructions step by step leaving it in for 5 minutes to DAMP hair. (It's important to squeeze the water out of your hair after you shampoo.)

I shampoo twice because 1.) I wash my hair every 3 days 2.) I really scrub my scalp for 1st wash then rinse, then wash again to get anything left over out of strands.

This is day 3 for me after having used it and my hair is not oily AT ALL, it still smells clean. I have used oil in my hair and gel since then. It's definitely not a dense product and does do the trick. It smells great!

Also, I have pretty bad split ends and no it does not mend those. I need a trim anyways. If you are looking to stop split ends then go trim your hair or find a different product. But for your roots and healthy strands it will be magical :)

on 1/11/2015 12:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Excellent deep conditioner, it leaves my over shoulder length hair soft and manageable, without weighing it down. My hair is almost virgin except a few highlights that I am growing out, it is always been wavy. However, in recent years my hair has gotten more unruly and frizzy than it was when I was younger. This product really works well for me, I also use the other products in this line, namely the shampoo, the hot oil and the leave in oil. I usually leave the mask on for about 15 min, longer when I have the time, then rinse and follow with the leave in oil on my ends. Soft, pleasant smell which does not linger, so it won't clash with any perfumes I am wearing. Have already repurchased twice and I will continue to use this as long as it's available.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I don't think this is a recovery mask, but more like a really deep conditioner. So this will help your hair become really soft and shiny with slip, but don't count on it to treat any issues you have with your hair.
I like the flowery fragrance and the texture is like that of pudding. I think I prefer the Total repair balm mask over this.

on 8/30/2014 2:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This stuff is pretty good. I don't know how repairing it is, but it works well as a richer conditioner. The scent is light but pleasant and the texture is very thick, almost like a paste (I think this is why they can't put it in a tube or bottle). It doesn't weigh down my curls, which I love, and I don't have to use a ton of it, which is economical. I definitely give this time to sit on my hair - shampoo, apply this, and let it soak in while I wash and shave in the shower. The price us great, too. I would like it to do a bit more to help repair my damaged hair, but not a bad product by any means.

I don't know about this being a "deep recovery" mask, but it is a great conditioner. I'm not a fan of the jar, I keep dropping it or its contents while I try to scoop out the product during shower. This mask provides the same results as most of my regular conditioners, so I probably will not repurchase.

on 5/29/2014 3:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have to agree with the previous reviewer - this is hardly a "Deep Recovery Mask" by any means. I think it qualifies as a thick conditioner and not much else. It's good and it smells great but I can't imagine this repairing my hair if it were in truly terrible condition.

I bought this about a month ago before I was to get highlights and a Brazilian blowout. As such, I wanted to a conditioner that didn't have any sulfates and L'Oreal is seemingly the only drugstore brand that has a sulfate free line. I use the no-poo/baking soda shampoo method for my hair because it's great for dandruff (which I battled for three years straight!) and, even if I don't have any Brazilian or kertain treatments, I try to keep using conditioners that are sulfate free. This fit the bill so I got it. My hair pre-Brazilian was in decent condition. I had kertain treatments in the past but they had long grown out so my hair reverted back to its frizzy, unruly state. For the past eight months, I've been getting my hair trimmed like a maniac but my natural hair is still basically a mess. This conditioner didn't do much to transform it into anything smooth or workable. It did smell heavenly but it was still frizzy and dry. On the plus side, it didn't make my hair too oily and didn't leave it feeling weighed down. I attribute that to the condtioner not being very thick or rich. It basically has the same consistency of regular conditioner which isn't mask-like at all.

One thing I don't like about this is that is it housed in a jar. I know conditioning masks always come in jars for some reason (to set them apart from "regular" conditioners?) but I find products in jars with screw top lids that you have to use in the shower to be cumbersome. I'm forever losing my grip on the lid because my hands are wet or simply dropping the lid because I'm a klutz. I'm also not a fan of having to grab a product from a jar. Invariably, I always scoop out too much. All these points can be solved by not using this while standing under running water but this logic alludes me once I'm in my bathroom. The other downside is the price. An 8.5 oz jar is around $8-9 which is almost silly (though it is far cheaper than the oil from the same line). While it is cheaper than almost any salon brand deep conditoners, it still is rather pricey for a drugstore brand.

Although I did rate this 4 lippies, I'm on the fence about recommending it to others. If you're just looking for a great smelling conditoner that doesn't do much in the way of repairing, you'll likely be satisfied with this. If you're looking for something that will truly heal and repair damage, you're better off spending the extra money and buying a real deep conditoner/mask from a high end brand or making your own.

on 5/29/2014 2:37:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I was so excited about trying this product. What a let down. I don't think its a bad conditioner, per say but, I think it's a stretch to even consider it as a legit deep treatment. It doesn't even offer much slip. After using a couple of times, I didn't notice any change. My hair didn't look or feel any different. It did smell good though. The texture of the product is so misleadingly good lol. It looks like a duck...quaks like a duck but it ain't no duck. Lol. I would just use this as a regular rinse out conditioner. Guess you get what you pay for.

FAST UPDATE: I did some experimenting this morning, and come to find out....this stuff is a pretty good leave in! My curls are poppin'! I didn't use a whole lot (mixed in a tiny bit of jojoba oil) and after my hair air dried I scrunched in some of the matching hair serum from the same line. Who knew? Bump up one more lippi.....wow...

on 5/27/2014 8:14:00 PM

I am the lone dissenter here. My experience was not good, and it surprised me. I bought the mask along with the shampoo and oil, thinking I'd get the most from this line if I used them together as designed. I have really strong shoulder-length, wavy hair that I color but take good care of. It is not fragile. I used this between once and twice a week with the shampoo and found it less-than emollient for something that touted itself as a mask. My cuticle was never smooth after using it and after 3 weeks of this with the other two products, my colorist was horrified by my dry hair. I've given this one more lippy than the shampoo and oil, mostly because I used it less frequently than the others so it's hard to pin as much damage on it.