Guerlain Guerlain Cils d'Enfer Maxi Lash Mascara

3.8

on 1/18/2015 7:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

The best mascara for me. It does clump a bit but that doesn't matter to me because I just remove them but this mascara give me natural or glam lashes depending on how much I use. Also, it separates and if I go for an extra long lash look, it surprisingly doesn't look too gaudy or fake. I'm able to strike that weird balance between fake and naturally long look. It's a very pitch black colour and I love the scent. If you don't like scented products, then stay away because it's a heavy scent imo. I'll buy this again and again.

on 1/12/2015 7:18:00 PM

I love this mascara so freakin' much, definitely one of the, if not the, best mascara's I've ever used. Applies like an absolute dream, gives the nicest, full, separated, but still neat looking lashes ever, looks very soft.
I like how the brush lays in my hand, the shape of the cap feels nice for some reason.

So.. why the four lippies?
After a couple of hours it starts smudging onto my eyelids like crazy. I have this problem with a lot of mascara's, but with this one it's just really bad.
I love using it, and when I do so I pile on some powder, so hopefully the oil from my eyelids doesn't come through. That does help for a while, but unfortunately it smudges anyway. You do get used to wiping your lids every now and then, but still, it's annoying.

Not sure yet if I'll repurchase, for now I'm gonna say yes.

on 12/29/2014 4:36:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I got a sample of this mascara. I liked the look I got using this mascara. It left me with a long, full lash look with just the right balance of length and volume. I found this is scented. I have never had a scented mascara before. It was not obtrusive, just a little strange. The only problem I had with this mascara and the reason I would not purchase it is because it wears off quickly. I found usually by midday this mascara would start to end up under my eyes and gave me a raccoon look. I wear contacts and I am too concerned that this mascara would end up in my eyes and irritate my contacts.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

My new HG mascara. I did not believe you coudl get lashes like this!
I first got a sample tube and I tried it. Just plain Wonderful from the firts application!
Super glossy black formula, old style bristle brush (finally! I am sick of those stiff, plastic brushes!!)- It is marketed as a volumising mascara, but ladies, this baby does it ALL!
I got super full, defined, LONG, CURLED lashes. I personally like it best without curling lashes prior to application (you really don't need it: the mascara gives you alone these curly doll like lashes...).
No clumps, no flakes, no smudging, not a problem at all.
For me, one of the biggest pet peeves is that those super long lasting mascaras are a b**ch to remove at night (Eyeko Skinny: yes, I am looking at you!!).
Cils d'Enfer is removed in a blink of an eye (literally!! ).
But the think that got me hooked: I got tons of compliments from people who generally do not care about makeup.. they were shocked when I told them I am not wearing falsies!!!
What could I do if not buy me the full size tube??
Cils d'Enfer is now mine, elegantly displaying itself on my vanity :o) (gorgeous pacakging as all Gurelain, by the way). A winner!

on 9/1/2014 2:08:00 AM

I was told by a cosmetician and another lady working at the drugstore that this mascara was the best one they had ever tried. The kept telling me how great it was and since I'm always on the hunt of the "best mascara of all time", I purchased it. I was extremely disappointed at first because I had paid $37 CAD for it so I let it go for a month or two until I picked it back up and really liked it. First, it smells like roses, which is very pleasant seeing as the scent lingers slightly for the first hour after you apply it. The consistency was way too wet when I initially purchased it but it became absolutely great after a month or so. Lastly, it gives great volume and satisfactory length but it smears all over my eyelids at the end of the day — which is a terrible downfall for those of you who, like me, have oily skin.

on 8/12/2014 3:06:00 PM

It comes off mid day and you look like a raccoon! It's super expensive as well. No good.

on 7/5/2014 2:11:00 AM

Luckily, I received a deluxe sample of this, and didn't pay full retail price. Usually, I'm pleased with Guerlain products, however this mascara fell short of my expectations. I liked the oversize old school brush. The formula was fine, too...it went on very smoothly without clumping, flaking, or looking chunky on my lashes....the brush also separated and defined my lashes. At first glance at the finished product...I started planning a purchase. However, after about an hour, I did a test check, and it didn't appear as if I had any mascara on. I'm not sure whether it "wore off", or it just looked nice wet. After about 8 hours of wear...I won't be purchasing it. It basically didn't do much of anything, and at the retail price point, it's much too expensive for what it does. Sadly, I'll keep looking for my HG mascara...

Up till now my HG mascara has been Chanel le volume which I absolutely love. I thought I'd give Guerlains Cil d'enfer maxi lash mascara a go as I'd heard good things about it. Now I have the dilemma of having 2 HG mascaras as this is on a par with Chanel. The difference is (and I don't know if its my imagination) my eyelashes actually look as if they've been curled, never mind lengthened or volumised! As with most of Guerlains products there is a violet perfume which I happen to love, when you take the wand out. Once its on you can't smell anything tho' (just in case thats an issue for you).
I know this is pricey but in this instance (as with their lipsticks and foundations) I think you get your moneys worth. Would definitely buy again. I can hear my wallet whimpering, poor thing...

on 5/13/2014 8:07:00 AM

I've purchased this twice.

This is my current go-to, and I love it.

Other past go-tos include (the ones that come to mind): Diorshow, Lancome's Oscillation, Hypnose Drama, Faux Cils (still use this in the midnight blue) . . . you can check my other reviews with the appropriate filter to find others, if interested.

Here's what I love about this, DRAMA. Yes, it takes a bit to work it up, unlike Oscillation, but I get incredible length, volume, and so much drama that I really can't compare it to others, not even Faux Cils or Oscillation, which is pretty amazing. I have no problems with smudging, flaking, or smearing.

Holds the curl very well, and it just makes my eyes look like big doll eyes. Really. Pretty amazing. I got this first as a deluxe sample from Nordies, and one from Sephora. Was smitten. Purchased and both tubes have really made me incredibly happy.

I have a tube of Armani's "Eyes To Kill Excess" sitting here waiting to be opened, a tube of Hypnose Drama unopened in the box, a tube of black Faux Cils, but I can't bring myself to use anything else for when I want big, black, dramatic lashes.

The bonus is the tube. So pretty. The brush is great.

Pretty much knocks it out of the park in every way I want:

---length
---volume
---drama
---wear
---no smudging or flaking
---holds the curl
---elegant packaging
---doll eyes effect

For now, this is making me a very happy girl. Though I do need to try out "Eyes Ti Kill," sooner rather than later . . .

on 2/20/2014 1:56:00 PM

My favorite mascara. Perfect amount of thickness and curl.

Popular Mascaras