Philosophy Fresh Cream

3.2

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

Meh. This is a basic vanilla with a hint of cloying sweet ice cream. Not really fresh or milky. There are way better vanilla scents out there for a less expensive price. The previous reviewer described it perfectly.

on 2/5/2015 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I really wanted to try this because the name was so enticing. I mean, Fresh Cream, sounds sweet, delicious and refreshing, right? I am not a QVC person, not by a long shot. But I watched the women on there plug this with such enthusiasm that I felt my soul would be saved, my life transformed, my inner child coddled, my husband swooning, a magical scent of FRESH CREAM wafting around me and leaving a seductive, sweet, trail of creamy glory wherever I walked. They made orgasmic faces and sounds, and like a zombie joining The Fresh Cream Nation, I ordered. Then my stuff arrived and I woke up to reality and it was sad. It's hardly unique, and even a bit allergy inducing. It reminded me a helluva a lot of a particularly heinous body spray by Mark (the teen Avon line) called Vanilla Cream, which made me want to die not in a good way. Anyway, initial spray of Fresh Cream smelled basically like sugar cookies to me. When it dried there is an underlying kind of synthetic vanilla smell that one could roughly equate to the inside of a cardboard ice cream container. It also has that plastic doll aspect to it that you'll get in cheap/immature vanillas. Believe it or not, I kind of like the plastic note. It's nostalgic. To this end, I am actually considering ordering the Barbie Vanilla Body Spray by Matel (yes I am sick that way, don't judge). My problem is the dry down. As others have mentioned, it really is sour. I didn't know what people meant until I caught it on my wrist. At first I just got powdery, stale sugar. Musty and sweet, not nice. Then it reveals a sharp/sour milk note, which is unfortunately the strongest aspect to it and the one that lingers most. So this isn't very fresh or clean. It smells like a cheap, generic vanilla, the tiny twist being that barely discernible cardboard/ice-cream note.The warmer vanilla/sugar cookie part that is actually pleasant is much better captured in Outremer (formerly L'Aroramine) Vanille, which is cheaper and much nicer. In fact, if soft, vanilliac sugar cookies are your thing, you will probably also enjoy the Avon Naturals Vanilla Body Spray. Contrary to popular opinion, the Fresh Cream edt lasts and has quite decent silage, which is unfortunate because I don't love it at all. I am going to try Demeter's Condensed Milk, Vanilla Ice Cream and Paperback in some combination in hopes of achieving the cool clean, paperish vanilla I hoped for in Fresh Cream. As an aside, my husband likes the smell and claims that it does smell like the inside of a vanilla ice cream carton. I'll probably use this stuff up as room spray or regift. This is not at all a typical Philosophy scent IMO, so if that is what you are after, avoid.

on 1/21/2015 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

like snorting powder sugar...with a very linear synthetic vanilla drydown. headache inducing.

on 1/7/2015 6:48:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Creamy deliciousness with a sweet, milky dry down. Got a good deal on mine when I purchased through Ebay.

on 1/2/2015 8:44:00 AM

This is a straightforward vanilla fragrance cut with a slightly fresh or clean note which just takes the edge off the sweetness. I don't detect any of the caramel/crème brulee overtones that have been cited in reviews elsewhere, and I also disagree that this fragrance has no silage - I can always smell it on my skin the day after application, so all I can think is that reviewers who say it doesn't last have somehow become inured to the scent.

As a reference point, I have worn quite a number of vanilla based fragrances including Jo Malone's Vanilla Anise, Annick Goutal's Vanille Equise, L'Occitane's Vanilla, and Lush Vanillary. Of these, I prefer the Jo Malone fragrance because the anise significantly reins in the sugary vanilla, and I feel that Fresh Cream, whilst not having that liquorice note, also successfully downplays the sweetness just very slightly with it's cool clean edge. The other vanilla fragrances on my CV I found pleasant on first application but too sweet to find a permanent home in my collection.

I rate this product highly because it is both comforting and clean which is not an easy combination to achieve - warm, woody fragrances are appealing and sexy, yet don't often impart that just out of the shower feeling which somehow this does.

on 11/13/2014 10:46:00 AM

I bought this without having an opportunity to smell it, since at that time, my local Sephora and Nordstrom weren't carrying it yet. Every review I read just made it sound so delicious, and I am a huge fan of pure grace. Well, fragrances are about the most subjective thing we can review, but I can tell you I didn't find it at all delicious. It smelled cheap, artificial and plasticky.

on 10/14/2014 11:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I originally avoided this when it first came out because I saw the disappointing reviews here on MUA. Even though I smelled it in Sephora and thought it smelled lovely, I thought, "Nooo, I'd better not. The reviewers all said it 'stinks' or doesn't last very long." So I waited until my birthday when I came into some spending cash, and decided to 'go for it!' Boy, am I glad I did! This fragrance smells wonderful; and it smells great on me, too, if I must say so, myself! It smells absolutely yummy! Doesn't remind me of cream per se, but it does smell a lot like a sweet vanilla. I LOVE vanilla, it is one of my favorite fragrances! I used to buy the vanilla oil from The Body Shop when I was in my 20's and 30's because I loved it so much! Now I have Philosophy's Fresh Cream, which brings back fond memories and makes me feel wonderful when I catch a whiff of it during the day. For those who said the fragrance does not last long, well, I don't share that same experience. It lasts all day on me, and I can even smell it on my pillow the next day. It smells truly wonderful, and I am so glad I made this purchase! My 3 favorite fragrances by Philosophy are now: Pure Grace, Fresh Cream, and Amazing Grace.

on 9/27/2014 11:50:00 PM

Smells like the lid of a box of cheap store-brand vanilla ice cream. Gack!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Im obsessed with any cake/vanilla/sugary scent that philosophy comes out with.Fresh Cream 3n1,I wasn't fond of as it didnt smell sweet to me.
A friend who works at ULTA showed me this and I fell in love! The perfume IMO,is different than the cream or shower gel.Its a warm,creamy scent that dries down to a soft marshmallow scent.I hope Philosophy comes out with more perfumes,like Cinnamon Buns or Pink Frosted Animal Cracker.I love this fragrance + would repurchase!

on 7/30/2014 11:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I tested this out at Ulta in hopes of finding a vanilla scent. The scent was very synthetic and did not smell like vanilla. I will not purchase.

Popular Fragrances