Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara

3.4

on 5/24/2015 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I love the results after 1 coat. It fluffs, lengthens and adds volume without clumping or flaking. 2 coats not so great because it can get spidery and clumpy even if you work quick. I'm not removing a lipstick for that, because why bother with 2 when 1 coat renders great results? Although it doesn't layer well with itself due to the drier formula, I've layered it with Tarte lights camera lashes and Urban Decay perversion and achieved a thicker, wet look, while keeping the fluff and drama I like about Too Faced. It didn't play nice with Dior Show and went spidery. Doesn't mesh well with any of my false lashes or lash glue but that's a bit of overkill anyhow.

It dries quickly, holds out all day in a humid climate and removes easily with oil or a decent make up remover. I appreciate that it doesn't run (unless I go swimming or start bawling during The Notebook) and I don't need to scrub at it because my eyes are increasingly sensitive.

If I put too much on my tiny bottom lashes it will smudge during the day, but it doesn't do that if I only give them a quick swipe. This makes me think perhaps people reporting smudging and flakiness may be using too much?

I like the brush too even though it looks a bit uncouth and frustrated me at first. Twisting the wand in an outward motion through my lashes from base to tip is the application method I find works best for this mascara to hold curl, easy separation and create dramatic elongation while adding adequate volume. Experiment with how you apply it. I didnt love it so much when I was doing the jiggle at the base technique even though it made them more full, it was messier and not fluffy.

I'm always shopping around for mascara but since mine ran out I actually do miss it because it's a great all rounder for day and night. For now I'll repurchase again even though I don't love the price and I have to import it which is a huge inconvenience in my country. Next time I'll get a few deluxe sample sizes as I didn't quite get through the whole full size tube before the formula began drying out, even with daily use. Probably because a little goes a long way but even though I'm disappointed about the waste it is best not to risk infections trying to keep mascara alive for more than a couple of months after it is open.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Overall, I would say that this is a good product, BUT I'm not so sure that it's worth the price. I bought this as a bit of an impulse buy at Sephora, and while I wasn't overly dissatisfied with it, I don't know if I would be willing to spend ~$23 on this again.

Packaging: probably my favorite part of this product. The little pink box is adorable, and the shiny pink tube with cursive script is honestly so pretty. Looking back, the packaging was probably one of the things that drew me to this product, aside from the online hype, of course. I know that packaging is a silly basis for making makeup decisions, but if you are looking for a mascara that looks beautiful in your makeup bag, this is the one.

Performance: I used this product pretty much every day until I ran out, and it did make my lashes look pretty good. It added nice volume, and the color was a beautiful and dark black. However, to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure that the volume and definition were really much better than I have experienced with drug store mascaras such as Covergirl Lash Blast. I also experienced some problems with clumping...this is something I'm somewhat willing to accept from a cheap drugstore mascara, but for a high end product my standards are a little higher.
The wand is a really interesting and unique shape. It took a little bit of getting used to (and I made my fair share of mistakes!), but once I did, I found that it was great for flaring out my lashes and curling them slightly.

My biggest complaint about this mascara is that it flakes off throughout the day. This problem worsened the longer I had the product. It's pretty frustrating to put my mascara on in the morning and then walk into the bathroom around noon to see little black flakes on my cheeks and under my eyes. I typically don't have this problem with my Covergirl mascaras, so I was really surprised and disappointed to see it happening with a high-end product.

TLDR: Great packaging, nice wand, good color and volume. Some clumping and flakes off throughout the day. Good product overall, but would probably choose a cheaper drug store mascara over this.

on 5/24/2015 9:58:00 AM

Wtf... I bought this mascara due to the hype and rave reviews online. It's probably one of the poorest performing mascaras I've ever used. It clumps disgustingly, gives me horrible spider lashes that are all stuck together with big clumps of black everywhere. It flakes. It melts down onto your lower lids. I am SO disappointed. The first time I used it, I figured it may just be that because it's new, way too much is being dispensed... so I wiped the brush with tissue paper, got the excess off and started again with one coat... and exactly the same thing happened. I wasted almost $50AUD on this, I'm so upset. I'm going to try dry it out a bit to see if that helps, but if that doesn't help, it's going in the bin. I prefer my $4 drug store mascara to this atrocity.

on 5/23/2015 9:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

After hearing all the hype about how amazing this mascara was, I finally bought it to see why people loved it so much. Unfortunately, I was not impressed.

It was super clumpy, make a mess under my eyes every time I blinked, and stuck all my lashes together.

I'm sorry to say I would not buy this product again.

on 5/23/2015 1:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

So the hype got to me on this one and I tried it. I didn't expect to like it but I did. It has a lot of things I like in a mascara: drier texture, buildable formula, feathery and full lash look, leaves lashes soft instead of crispy, very black pigment, easy to remove, doesn't cause any lash loss, doesn't irritate eyes.

However being that it is dry it can flake, and it the older it gets, the more it flakes. I usually don't put this on my lower lashes because of the flaking. If I really need it to go all day without flaking, I layer it over waterproof mascara.

I almost deducted a star for the flaking because the full size is $23 and by month two its starting to dry out and by month 3 this has gone way too dry. However, the sample size is only $12, is always available at Ulta (and probably Sephora, too, but I buy mine at Ulta) and has enough product to last you probably more than 3 months, though it starts getting a little overly dry by month two. At that price I can justify buying it every 2-3 months and I don't feel bad throwing it out when its not working for me anymore.

I received a deluxe sample of this and was very excited to try this because of the hype around it. I'm sorry to say I was very disappointed. I do like the way it looks first applied but it just doesn't stay and it rubs off easily.

I'm still looking for my holy grail mascara.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

In love with this mascara! The wand grabs every single lash, and the clumps are little to none. The only thing I would change is the "fat" tip that it has. I do prefer a smaller tip on the wand, but other than that it is a very good mascara. It doesn't smudge throughout the day, and the price is really great as well. I found it has lasted me a while, unlike the very cheap brands at the drugstore. Definitely will buy again!

on 5/21/2015 5:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

To start off, my lashes are straight, somewhat long but thin and slightly sparse! This mascara gives me the perfect amount of volume with no clumps, the trick is to not do the "zig-zag" motion with this mascara.

I have oily eyelids and it doesn't smudge, although when it gets drier it does flake.
It doesn't hold a curl too amazingly well, but it does slightly curl my lashes?
i just wish it wasn't so pricey :( $23 for mascara is a bit high for me.

on 5/21/2015 5:09:00 AM

To let you understand, my eyelashes are non existant without mascara. You know how you are advised to curl you're lashes before applying mascara, well I can't, as I cannot get my lashes into a curler, that's how short they are.With this mascara my lashes are long , thick, voluminous, jet black , just everything I've always wanted.Yes, it does take several coats to achieve this look but I can build it up without clumping.I used to look enviously at women with thick dark lashes, now I am one of them! This doesn't smudge or flake, not on me anyway.I think a lot of "smudging " problems aren't always the mascaras fault. Perhaps you are oily around the eye area?I like the brush as I tend to favour big brushes.This removes easily with my usual oil based remover and I do use several coats.My previous favourite was Dior Show Blackout. But this is as good.No , it's not cheap , but to me it's worth it. Like everything else this won't please everyone,but if you are like me and need a good mascara to make any impact, this just might be your mascara.

on 5/21/2015 2:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Much as I love the packaging, they are all lies! It just clumped up all my lashes, making my lashes look even lesser and very cockroach legs-like =(

It seems to flake a lot, so I ended up having blacks specks on my face.

This is definitely not better than sex!

Popular Mascaras