Peter Thomas Roth FirmX Firming Night Moisturizer

3.0

on 2/13/2015 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Love the cream, absurd packaging. As with all open jars, I spoon some into a smaller jar and keep the rest in the fridge. This is such an unusual cream, you can't compare it to others in my opinion. I like it so much I use it in the day, too, because it is not shiny and gives my skin an evenness and creamy texture. If I need suncreen, I add a little Shiseido. During the day I use this cream, and spot corrector and that's it for my face.

It really is rich and moisturizing (I have extremely dry skin) and firming, but has a nice matte finish, which is what I like for day because I find I don't need foundation or powder. During winter, I have some Jojoba oil in a dropper jar, and sometimes add about 4-5 drops after the cream at night. Another benefit, I have mild rosacea and this is the only cream that has absolutely no reaction on my nose and chin. Since it is expensive, get a sample and give it a try is what I would do. It doesn't take much and has great absorption and yet moisturizes and softens surface skin.

on 5/15/2013 7:53:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Other

I was surprised not to see any reviews for this cream on MUA, seeing as how it's partner serum is getting decent reviews. While the serum seems to be well liked (I'm judging by reviews, I have not tried it), this moisturizer is less than mediocre. I was shocked, because in my experience, PTR's moisturizers have always been superb, but FirmX falls way short. I had almost finished a jar of PTR UnWrinkle night cream and was stuck about whether to repurchase it or switch to the FirmX. According to the gals at Sephora and reading the info on PTR's website, FirmX is supposed to be UnWrinkle Night taken to the "next level" (that's my paraphrasing, not theirs). I LOVED Unwrinkle Night Cream, so I figured I had nothing to lose...except a bit of money, as this product retails for $125/oz. where UnWrinkle night is $110/oz. It seemed worth an extra 15 dollars if it truly did what it claimed, so I bit the bullet and bought the FirmX cream. That evening when it came time to use it, I immediately noticed that it's not nearly as rich as the other PTR moisturizers, but I thought maybe that was a good thing...Up till then, I'd always used a rich night cream so I thought the texture would be a nice change. Firstly, the cream is not very moisturizing at all. It did nothing to provide the nighttime moisturizing I need to wake up without feeling parched and tight, but it being a treatment cream, I just wrote it off and slapped some Creme de La Mer over it once it dried. With only an ounce of product compared to the more standard 1.7oz, it does not last long at all, and after 5 weeks of consistent use, I saw NO improvements in my skin whatsoever. Matter of fact, I saw a marked decline in my skins hydration, and my fine lines seemed worse than ever. After switching back to the Unwrinkle night, everything improved and I was back to normal again in under a week! The packaging is kind of awkward and absurd...it's a heavy egg shaped jar and it's way bigger than necessary...the cream sits in a small well in the midst of a ton of bulky over-packaging. It's not travel friendly at all because the way the lid is weighted combined with the shape make it unscrew by itself if jostled around no matter how tight it's screwed on to begin with. I am just shocked that PTR not only promotes this stuff like its gold, but charges out the butt for a cream of very poor quality...VERY unlike PTR. Usually, even if a PTR product isn't the best fit for me, I can't dispute that its a quality product...but this seriously feels like a super cheap, gimicky night cream with a luxury price point. Very disappointed. If you are stuck deciding between this cream and the Unwrinkle Night...the UnWrinkle wins hands down. If you want to try this FirmX line, I'd recommend trying the serum, because this cream is a total joke :/ Sorry, my beloved PTR....ya bombed on this one!

Popular Moisturizers